The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 minute ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

What? Am I not allowed to have my own expectations about certain prospects? 

Are you happy he has been a healthy scratch for 2 straight games now?

No, but I also recognize he is still doing well overall. Something you don't want to admit for some reason. Two scratches doesn't mean he suddenly sucks.

You may not realize this, but it is possible to have expectations but also be realistic about how Juolevi is doing in Finland. Heiskanen may be doing better overall, but he actually isn't that far ahead of Juolevi as you make him out to be.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Great Canucks said:

No, but I also recognize he is still doing well overall. Something you don't want to admit for some reason. Two scratches doesn't mean he suddenly sucks.

You may not realize this, but it is possible to have expectations but also be realistic about how Juolevi is doing in Finland. Heiskanen may be doing better overall, but he actually isn't that far ahead of Juolevi as you make him out to be.

Stop making things up. I've stated he has had a good year thus far but far from perfect.

Did I say he suddenly sucks? I clearly said it's disappointing and not a good look. It's too bad the likes of you get triggered by this for some odd reason. Relax it's a hockey forum.

Just now, R.Dahlin26 said:

Stop making things up. I've stated he has had a good year thus far but far from perfect.

Did I say he suddenly sucks? I clearly said it's disappointing and not a good look. It's too bad the likes of you get triggered by this for some odd reason. Relax it's a hockey forum.

It sure as hell sounded like it. Don't tell people they are triggered when you are clearly triggered yourself.

No one here has been saying Juolevi has been perfect and he can't improve more. People are just happy that he has been progressing nicely this season and you want to crap on that for some reason.

• Upvote 2

Just now, The Great Canucks said:

It sure as hell sounded like it. Don't tell people they are triggered when you are clearly triggered yourself.

No one here has been saying Juolevi has been perfect and he can't improve more. People are just happy that he has been progressing nicely this season and you want to crap on that for some reason.

Not really..... am I stopping you from being happy with his progression?

I've stated my opinions and expectations which is what I'm allowed to do and why we have discussion boards. Why do they bother you so much? Relax.

Move on.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, The Great Canucks said:

37 minutes ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

Not really..... am I stopping you from being happy with his progression?

I've stated my opinions and expectations which is what I'm allowed to do and why we have discussion boards. Why do they bother you so much? Relax.

Move on.

Looks like you two need a timeout.

Been impressed with Juolevi this year. Hopefully being scratched lights a fire under his ass and he plays hard afterwards.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Darius71 said:

Huge setback for Sergachev - he has been scratched 2 times recently, and is a minus 6 in hi last 8 games.  Big red flag.  Hugely disappointing.  I dont know if he can improve, maybe the start of the season was an aberration.     If he is not lighting it up by again by video game level d+3 im gonna throw out my xbox and cancel my netflix

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning/2018/01/25/mikhail-sergachev-understands-scratches-after-huge-mistake/

IIRC, Hedman is just coming back from injury. I haven't been watching any Tampa games, so someone feel free to correct me, but it would stand to reason that with Hedman out, they've been less able to shelter Sergachev and I'm guessing he struggled with that extra load. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

whaaaaaaaaat are you smoking? 19 points in 25 liiga games as a 19 year old forward would be extremely impressive already, let alone a dman, the numbers he's putting up right now is literally never before seen.

5 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

whaaaaaaaaat are you smoking? 19 points in 25 liiga games as a 19 year old forward would be extremely impressive already, let alone a dman, the numbers he's putting up right now is literally never before seen.

You should get your facts straight. He has 17 points in 26 games. That is a 0.65 PPG and yes that has been seen before lmao. That list for U20 defenceman scoring in the Liiga is not that impressive only Vatanen and Pitkanen really stick out from that list when comparing PPG. Juolevi has decent production thus far but you have to look at it like he's a top 5 pick in his D+2 compared to mostly random's which that list is mostly compiled of. That's why you see people comparing Juoelvi to Heiskanen because they are both U20 d-men drafted in the top 5 and were drafted to become top pairing d-men.

This discussion didn't start to discuss his season thus far it was to talk about his recent 2 game benching and how it's disappointing considering he should be a key part of TPS and shouldn't even be a possibility for a scratch from the coaches.

It just raises questions, like if he can't hold down a spot in the Finnish league at this point in his development how far away is he from the NHL? 

Maybe it was a motivation thing to light a fire up his ass? Maybe he's not competing as hard as he should be from shift to shift? Hopefully, he plays on Thursday especially with TPS coming off a loss.

Edited by R.Dahlin26
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

You should get your facts straight. He has 17 points in 26 games. That is a 0.65 PPG and yes that has been seen before lmao. That list for U20 defenceman scoring in the Liiga is not that impressive only Vatanen and Pitkanen really stick out from that list when comparing PPG. Juolevi has decent production thus far but you have to look at it like he's a top 5 pick in his D+2 compared to mostly random's which that list is mostly compiled of. That's why you see people comparing Juoelvi to Heiskanen because they are both U20 d-men drafted in the top 5 and were drafted to become top pairing d-men.

This discussion didn't start to discuss his season thus far it was to talk about his recent 2 game benching and how it's disappointing considering he should be a key part of TPS and shouldn't even be a possibility for a scratch from the coaches.

It just raises questions, like if he can't hold down a spot in the Finnish league at this point in his development how far away is he from the NHL? 

Maybe it was a motivation thing to light a fire up his ass? Maybe he's not competing as hard as he should be from shift to shift? Hopefully, he plays on Thursday especially with TPS coming off a loss.

I'm on your side with this. It's not the end of the road for him, it's just a small concern/hurdle that he will have to overcome. We will have to wait and see. He is still having a very good year, but I see no harm in talking about him being scratched and discussing it in that light. But it is CDC, and some innocuous comments can certainly trigger some strong reactions. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I'm on your side with this. It's not the end of the road for him, it's just a small concern/hurdle that he will have to overcome. We will have to wait and see. He is still having a very good year, but I see no harm in talking about him being scratched and discussing it in that light. But it is CDC, and some innocuous comments can certainly trigger some strong reactions. 

No kidding. Honest discussion is good and should be welcomed. Sometimes you have to ask the difficult questions no harm in that. But as you can see some people live in their own little bubbles and the slightest criticism of a prospect, you are ganged up on and called a troll lol

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, The Great Canucks said:

And how do you know what it "sounded" like? 

The poster has reiterated multiple times exactly what he said and meant. You are clearly putting words in people's mouth. The only evidence we have are that poster's words and they do not imply what you claim that poster said.

Edited by Toews
  • Upvote 1

Come on guys, this is getting little bit out of hand. Welcome to CDC, right?

This would be my view on the whole thing.

It is disappointing that he was benched, however I'm not worried at all. I actually like it, that he was benched. Keeps him on his toes, send clear message to Olli "You didn't play your best in last games". I'm very curios how he response. Life and hockey isn't always the good, it's about how you respond to "bad" situations, adversity. The harder the road to NHL, the more the player acknowledges it. He'll be 20 in 4months. He still has lot of time to learn and he'll be scratched in future again. Being scratched and told what's wrong is normal for young players. Hell,  Brock was scratched in first two games and is all-star MVP, Draisaitl was sent to minors at the start of 2015/2016, put 2 points in 6 games in AHL and was recalled and had 51 points in 72 games.

Olli has done big strides this year, change from small to big ice surface, change from Junior to Pro level in every possible category. I don't think he needed to bust his ass last year in London, I think it was too easy for him. Now he needs to learn how to play in pro league. Liiga is closest to NHL from European leagues in style.

Juolevi is on his own path, which is different from Heiskanen, Sergachev and other "D" prospects. What I care about is, where he'll be when Canucks need him and that's in 1-2 years from now.

Been Canuck fan since Bure era, so over 25 years. The magic is coming, we just need to be patient...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

It's good that no one is panicking and all but this is in no way a good thing. If you think otherwise you need to take of the homer glasses. 

Look at our graduated prospects. Bo and boeser. We're they ever benched for reasons like virtanen and juolevi? Nope. 

Now I know there are many paths to the nhl but if Lind and Pettersson are priased for their positive impact on their respective teams, then Olli can be criticized for obviously not haveing a positive impact on his team.

I'm not saying it's the end of the world, nor am I predicting failure based on the benching, but it has to be viewed as a negative. 

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

What’s truly remarkable is how childish you act. No where did I say we messed up. Heiskanen wasn’t even in the same draft year. But thats automatically what you assume by me correcting your false claims. @guntrix is correct. Too many overly sensitive posters that jump too conclusion and feel the need to be mother hen.

Pointing out that heiskanen has been more impressive doesnt have to be taken as a knock against Juolevi. What hiedkanen is doing as an 18 year old is extremely impressive. What Juolevi is doing is also impressive. It’s not a sin to acknowlegde talent around the league. 

Read your posts and tone.   You are the very definition of hypocrite.  :)

This is a Canuck discussion board and you constantly bring in discussion of pretty much anyone who ISN’T a Canuck. That ye ol’ Hypocritical one is very childish as you know the effect you are working at.

You dislike being called out.    That’s fine.  :lol:

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

It's good that no one is panicking and all but this is in no way a good thing. If you think otherwise you need to take of the homer glasses. 

Look at our graduated prospects. Bo and boeser. We're they ever benched for reasons like virtanen and juolevi? Nope. 

Now I know there are many paths to the nhl but if Lind and Pettersson are priased for their positive impact on their respective teams, then Olli can be criticized for obviously not haveing a positive impact on his team.

I'm not saying it's the end of the world, nor am I predicting failure based on the benching, but it has to be viewed as a negative. 

Umm, yeah. Boeser was benched the first 2 games of this season. 

Young rookies in European senior leagues are often benched for developmental reasons. Of the 25 players under 20 in Liiga, every single one has not played in at least 25% of their team's games. That includes super-rookie Heiskenen, who has played 3 less games than Juolevi. It's not anything worth getting worked up about.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Umm, yeah. Boeser was benched the first 2 games of this season. 

Young rookies in European senior leagues are often benched for developmental reasons. Of the 25 players under 20 in Liiga, every single one has not played in at least 25% of their team's games. That includes super-rookie Heiskenen, who has played 3 less games than Juolevi. It's not anything worth getting worked up about.

Boeser was benched in the best league in the world while we had a log jam of forwards available. He wasn't benched in the finish elite league for a never will be defenseman.

And agreed that it's not anything to get worked up about but it still is a negative that he is benched. 

Edited by 73 Percent