The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

58 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Really loved how Virtanen was playing by the end of the season. He was a force on the ice. if he can come back next year and do a full year like that, instead of just a game here or there, we will be pretty happy with him as a player and a high first round pick.

See if he can show some of that offensive flare we seen in the pre season with some actual top 6 minutes

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

See if he can show some of that offensive flare we seen in the pre season with some actual top 6 minutes

I actually liked him with the Sedins, early in the season. Thought his speed really benefited them and allowed them to push more in the offensive zone and know that someone had the speed to get back fast if needed.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I actually liked him with the Sedins, early in the season. Thought his speed really benefited them and allowed them to push more in the offensive zone and know that someone had the speed to get back fast if needed.

He really need to work on the quality of his shot he either muffin’d it on net or ripped it wide, but very glad he’s decide to work on his hands because he can blow past defenders and if his hands could keep up and get to the net instead of going around, would be great 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Hmm, from my perspective, ‘the problem’, not thaT there is one, and if this is ‘impatient whining’, count me in then, is the expectation that a top pick should be performing on-par with his draft group peers, like Sergachev or even MT. 

This is who he is and should be judged against. A patient fan sees a well-seasoned prospect, an impatient fan sees Sergchev as a comparable and asks some questions which stem back to the draft choice in the first place.

Personally, I’m happy if he becomes a top 3 Dman, but sooner rather than later. Anything more is just gravey. I look forward to the Penticton tourney!

Wrong.   That comparison can come one all of them have been in league three of four years.   Comparing now is silly and will always bias to the team that put them into NHL first.   That doesn't make them "better".     Many players come of the gate just fine "statistically" and get passed and left in the dust by their peers.   It is the five-hour old wine drinkers who will tout those early statistical leaders and never get to appreciate the finer wines.   

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

EVERY prospect will have a different development path and a big part of that is the organization the prospect is in.   If part of a deep team like Tampa, Juolevi could well have had the same role as Sergachev this year and perhaps saw his play deteriorate too over the year.    Perhaps Sergachev's career was aided by his NHL exposure this year but also perhaps he would be further along having spent a year in Europe and Juolevi in the NHL.   Not an exact science.    If Sergachev was Canuck property he would likely have had a very tough time having NHL minutes this year and if Juolevi part of the Bolts, perhaps he is in NHL.   Who knows but, back to the Canuck propect, Juolevi, he has an excellent year and ended it on a high with more and more responsibility and should have his confidence sky high entering this summer training period.

This exactly! Plus 1

• Cheers 1

So OJ is dominating or as close to it as a defender can be?

Do his stats clearly translate or indicate that he is definitely a 2-way Dman?

I’ve read that he had an excellent year on here, but I’m still not sure how to sort through the posts yet. “He got more responsibility in the end”? Why ‘at the end’ if he was having such an ‘excellent’ year? I’m still not sure so I’m going to go and do my own dirty work and invest some time reading-up and watching what I can of OJ. 

He had an up and down year. Got tired after the WJC and needed a break. Took a while to get back up to a pro level but finished strong.

Injuries gave him opportunities in the playoffs to play 20+ mins a night. 

He didn't make the best decisions with the puck all the time, but he is still learning what he can and can't do at the pro level. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Derp... said:

He had an up and down year. Got tired after the WJC and needed a break. Took a while to get back up to a pro level but finished strong.

Injuries gave him opportunities in the playoffs to play 20+ mins a night. 

He didn't make the best decisions with the puck all the time, but he is still learning what he can and can't do at the pro level. 

I would say that is a successful development year. Definitely better than potting 40-50 pts against the same kids as last year with London.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2018 at 7:32 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

EVERY prospect will have a different development path and a big part of that is the organization the prospect is in.   If part of a deep team like Tampa, Juolevi could well have had the same role as Sergachev this year and perhaps saw his play deteriorate too over the year.    Perhaps Sergachev's career was aided by his NHL exposure this year but also perhaps he would be further along having spent a year in Europe and Juolevi in the NHL.   Not an exact science.    If Sergachev was Canuck property he would likely have had a very tough time having NHL minutes this year and if Juolevi part of the Bolts, perhaps he is in NHL.   Who knows but, back to the Canuck propect, Juolevi, he has an excellent year and ended it on a high with more and more responsibility and should have his confidence sky high entering this summer training period.

Great post, I feel like this gets overlooked way too often when directly comparing prospects. Sergachev is on one of the best teams in the NHL. He's surrounded by a tremendous amount of talent, it's an ideal situation for him. Who's to say you throw Juolevi on that team and he doesn't thrive?

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Has it been mentioned whether or not Olli will join Utica?

There is 1 more game on April 20th for TPS.

After that it is unclear whether he will get the opportunity to play for Finland at the WC in Denmark or Join the Comets.

If he's invited to the WC word is that he will play there. I mean 1 game against Canada at that tournament is like playing an above average NHL team, compared to AHL playoffs. 

5 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

That would be like a really good NHL team, other than maybe in net. 

Ya the lineup is better than VGK expect in goal, but it depends on the systems and chemistry. 

On paper they are a contender in the FWD group.
Above average but not elite D core.
Need help in Goal.

4 minutes ago, Derp... said:

Ya the lineup is better than VGK expect in goal, but it depends on the systems and chemistry. 

On paper they are a contender in the FWD group.
Above average but not elite D core.
Need help in Goal.

That would be the best forward group in the NHL by a country mile. D wouldn’t be as great but their top 3 of Ekblad, Nurse, and Parayko would be solid and the top 6 as a whole would be top 10. It’s really just the goaltending.