The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

8 hours ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

With Brock out with surgery and Brisebois a solid maybe for Canada, all my attention is on Team Finland this WJC. Hopefully Olli can rise to the occasion once again and show everyone  (again) why he was considered the best defenseman in the draft last year by many scouts.

Brisbois was cut :(

They should be ashamed of themselves

1 hour ago, junglesniper said:

Haven't posted anything here in awhile and wanted to update on my previous stance (That I wasn't too impressed with Olli's start).

Since then he's definitely improved and has been more commanding of games than in the early going. It's definitely not a knock on him, but when we drafted him I only watched his highlights and never really watched him play. All I heard was High IQ, smart, smart, smart, defence, and for that reason I guess my expectations were different/skewed. After watching him play (someone on youtube is doing great work and uploading all of his shifts), I definitely have a completely different opinion on this player than when we first drafted him.

I stand by my original statements, however, that he isn't a defence first defenceman, he is a two-way defender who wants to produce offence. The hockey IQ is there, it's evident everytime you watch him play; he's almost too smart for Junior hockey because his teammates aren't operating on the same frequency. One thing I noticed is that he really isn't that great of a defender defensively. Yes, his stick is active and he breaks plays up by being positionally sound, but when I watch him time and time again it appears as though he gets outmuscled and may be a little slow to react (because he's always thinking ahead maybe). His quickness and agility is something that may be something he needs to work on because at higher levels everyone is strong and fast and if he's struggling to keep up with quick OHL'ers than he may not be ready for the NHL anytime soon. http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/juolevi-want-to-improve-everything-particularly-defence-1.633404

His offensive game has grown on me. He may not have a dynamic quality to his offensive game but I really like the way he runs the London powerplay with Cliff Pu. The umbrella powerplay works so well for him because he sees the ice so well and dropping it off to the right half wall to Pu gives me a little excitement for a Juolevi/Boeser combo on the powerplay. We all know that Boeser has a great shot, but he's also a good playmaker and so I really like that potential there. 

I agree with a lot of you guys that I'll be following Finland closely with Boeser and Brisebois out. I really hope to see the OJ we saw at last year's WHJC, because he really dominated there; something I haven't really seen much in the OHL.

To be fair, that's always been is 'knock'. But then again, he was also a VERY young 18 year old at the draft, He's got lots of time to add muscle and strength. He has the frame for it. 

But that's the biggest one of the many reasons I see him back in Jr. next year an not on the Canucks @Chip Kelly.

As for his skating, it's pretty good for Jr. level but like most kids, he'll need to work on constantly keeping his feet moving and keeping his intensity up at the next level. But that's all but universal for Jr. players. When he's moving, Juolevi's skating is sublime IMO.

Both of those things are easy to fix though. The smarts, the poise, the puck moving, the vision etc. THOSE are the reasons we drafted him.

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

To be fair, that's always been is 'knock'. But then again, he was also a VERY young 18 year old at the draft, He's got lots of time to add muscle and strength. He has the frame for it. 

But that's the biggest one of the many reasons I see him back in Jr. next year an not on the Canucks @Chip Kelly.

As for his skating, it's pretty good for Jr. level but like most kids, he'll need to work on constantly keeping his feet moving and keeping his intensity up at the next level. But that's all but universal for Jr. players. When he's moving, Juolevi's skating is sublime IMO.

Both of those things are easy to fix though. The smarts, the poise, the puck moving, the vision etc. THOSE are the reasons we drafted him.

Like I said though gaining weight/ muscle is the easiest thing to improve he has all the resources and sounds like he is driven and has a good work ethic from everything I have heard/ read about him.

I see no reason he can't get stronger and have a big summer and make this team. If Jared McCann a notroius hard gainer can do it and put on 10-15 pounds of mass I'm sure Juolevi can manage it.

They need his hockey IQ and calmness on d if you are worried about him getting pushed around just pair him with Gudbranson or Tanev( if he is not traded) next year.

Those two groups should work well together.

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

The term "excited" came up several times in the interview. I don't think I have every heard a player sound less excited.

I need to listen to it, to see. 

Well, maybe those Fins are a lot like their neighbors, the Swedes. They're not very emotional. lol.