The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

3 minutes ago, clam linguine said:

Geniuses don't make obvious picks ya know.

I agree if Juolevi becomes that first pairing number 1 guy Benning will look like a genius.

However if he just becomes an okay top 4 or worse, we passed on a sure fire top 6 player that we needed.

I guess we'll keep playing the waiting game.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 1

I'm just preferring to bite my lip until Juolevi arrives on a regular basis. 

Ya I'm a fan of Tkachuk and would've prefered we took him over Juolevi but it's not like OJ is a slouch.

I remember a few years ago when 70% on this site were beside themselves when Nichushkin scored 9 goals as Bo was still in London. Now who looks so smart?

As for this year's pick, I'm really pinning for the top D Liljegren, Foote, Hague....even Valimaki. Hague is huge and has a bullet of a shot.

Watching how some of the up and coming teams are such as Columbus, Winnipeg, and Philly,  etc.... they have a really good young nucleus of top end D.

20 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I agree if Juolevi becomes that first pairing number 1 guy Benning will look like a genius.

However if he just becomes an okay top 4 or worse, we passed on a sure fire top 6 player that we needed.

True.  If OJ becomes a first line Dman...Benning is a genius. 

Edited by clam linguine
stayin positive

Tkachuk would have been nice. He brings some of the nastiness that we lack especially on the left side with Daniel, Sven and Loui. Perhaps, Benning thought he had a good chance in landing Lucic in the free market.

In terms of prospects we are thin on both LW and D. On LD, Edler is getting up there in age, has been injury prone and offense has disappeared.Hutton is a question mark right now on whether he can become a top 4.  It must have been a tough choice for management.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

We waited out Nichushkin when it first appeared he was a better pick. When we passed on him to grab Bo.  

It's too early to condemn or even engage a question on OJ.  And for all I care, I hope Tkachuk does become a good player.  But we still owe every pick the patience they deserve.

11 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

We waited out Nichushkin when it first appeared he was a better pick. When we passed on him to grab Bo.  

It's too early to condemn or even engage a question on OJ.  And for all I care, I hope Tkachuk does become a good player.  But we still owe every pick the patience they deserve.

True every pick deserves patience, but it's pretty obvious Tkachuk was destined to be that top 6 player that we're hoping Virtanen becomes.

He's already on pace for almost 60 points at 18 and he plays with an edge.

Tkachuk was the safe pick like Bo was the safe pick. I just see more risk coming with Juolevi, which will hopefully come with a higher reward. We won't likely know for at least a few years though.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Westcoasting said:

Where do you think he should have been picked?

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

My 'homerism' wants to agree with you,  but my realism can see he's not overrated,  at least not by much anyway.  

The way that the league as a whole is going in terms of scoring, is the opposite of the way he plays. The points will drop off, then what will he be? A big, slow, winger with a temper and ok (not good) hands. No thank you

14 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

i really hope this was just an off game for Olli.. Lack luster effort at times and he isn't even relied upon down a goal with a minute to go

He was out there the shift before 

he played a solid game, he's one player a defenseman on a weak inexperienced team. He can't carry the team and he's not going to put up huge numbers with the offense Finland has 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

The way that the league as a whole is going in terms of scoring, is the opposite of the way he plays. The points will drop off, then what will he be? A big, slow, winger with a temper and ok (not good) hands. No thank you

So the consensus of pro scouting goes against what you think... Maybe you should become a scout!

17 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

i really hope this was just an off game for Olli.. Lack luster effort at times and he isn't even relied upon down a goal with a minute to go

1 minute ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

He was out there the shift before 

he played a solid game, he's one player a defenseman on a weak inexperienced team. He can't carry the team and he's not going to put up huge numbers with the offense Finland has 

I think it was a situation like the Russia team was in. First game, finding their legs and new teammates. I sure don't think Russia plays like this the whole tournament and i bet they get better as time goes on. thinking the same for Finland.