The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

17 hours ago, gameburn2 said:

Although a month old, this comment says a lot. 

I would say though that when the West Coast Express took off, it gave us a pretty long run of good play.  10 years more or less, until last year.  Even the Torts year was not as bad as this last year and the first half of this year.  Keenan and Messier... that was the last really terrible time imo.  Last year was less bad because of the rise of Hutton, Horvat, Virtanen and to some extent McCann and Baertschi.  Ownership's surrender to Keenan was hard to watch at the time.  He did bring in Bert, though, I think.

Im sorry but I think this year is thé most entertaining brand of hockey the canucks have played since 2012. The only différence is à Lack of talent compared to that erà. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, BI3KSALLENT said:

Did anyone get a chance to watch the game? 

The game was all Canada 

I don't believe juolevi was out there for a goal against though, possibly one but it was a game dominated by canada

juolevi made a couple beautiful long passes and looked smooth and poised with the puck 

he got absolutely demolished with a huge hit a couple feet off the boards but he took it, got back in the play and didn't miss a shift 

the finns definitely don't have the team they had last year however it was just pre tourney and Canada was all over them playing like it was a gold medal game 

5 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

The game was all Canada 

I don't believe juolevi was out there for a goal against though, possibly one but it was a game dominated by canada

juolevi made a couple beautiful long passes and looked smooth and poised with the puck 

he got absolutely demolished with a huge hit a couple feet off the boards but he took it, got back in the play and didn't miss a shift 

the finns definitely don't have the team they had last year however it was just pre tourney and Canada was all over them playing like it was a gold medal game 

Good to know. This should really boost his confidence and if he can take some big hits and keep going. 

On December 18, 2016 at 3:06 PM, JamesB said:

I have the same read. It is hard for me to see him trying to handle big, strong NHL forwards at this stage. It is interesting that Stecher handles NHL forwards as well as he does, but he is guy who strong for his size, has a low center of gravity, and who plays with a lot of intensity and is very quick and very good positionally.

Juolevi is a tall lanky guy and, like a lot of tall, lanky guys, is not that quick, has a high center of gravity, and is a calm player rather than a high intensity player.  If he is going to win puck battles in the NHL he will need to be stronger. AND he needs to continue to improve his positional game.

I just don't seem him being ready next year and I am worried that JB will, once again, want to rush a player for no good reason. The last thing we want is for him to struggle at the NHL level, lose his confidence, and set his development back (as I think happened with Virtanen). I would rather see him have a dominant year at Junior. (This year he has been very good in the OHL, but not dominant.)

OJ will need some time, but with our new found depth on D we have no need to rush him. I expect 2 more years one more in Jr with a 9 game stint and another year in Uticca with reps in the NHL. 

He does not need to be rushed. As bad as things are right now, no knee jerk moves with development.  

EW

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

OJ will need some time, but with our new found depth on D we have no need to rush him. I expect 2 more years one more in Jr with a 9 game stint and another year in Uticca with reps in the NHL. 

He does not need to be rushed. As bad as things are right now, no knee jerk moves with development.  

EW

Ya, don't mess him up like Virtanen.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Scorevat said:

The fin team had a lot of players that hadn't ever played on north american ice according to olli, they'll be better next time they play canada. Btw jost looks like blue chip.

I really wanted Benning to make a deal to pick him up. Maybe Boeser can convince him to pull a Vesey :)

7 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

OJ will be a star but he is still young and definitely needs another year in jr followed by a few in the AHL. No need to rush him either as it will be a few years before the Nucks are out of their rebuild/retool anyway.

no....

He definitely won't need 4 more years until he cracks the lineup.

• Upvote 3

On 12/21/2016 at 0:18 PM, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

This board would have called Pat Kane a bust in his first few seasons. 

Not sure about the point being made. In his draft +1 year Kane made the NHL and scored 72 pts. and won the Calder trophy.

CDC posters tend to look at Canuck players through rose-colored glasses. If we had a guy make the team in his draft+1 year and literally do half as well as Kane (36 pts) most of CDC would be doing cartwheels.

I guess the point of the post is to argue that CDC is too critical and impatient with prospects. I don't think that is true. CDC stays in denial for a long time when prospects underperform. There was way too much enthusiasm on CDC for Virtanen and Hodgson and Shinkaruk and pretty much everyone else picked in the first round by the Canucks. The only high draft pick in recent memory who has come close to living up to expectations is Horvat.  Even now we are assuming that Boeser is going to be a star even though he has not played so much as one professional game.

As for Juolevi, it is early and of course he is a question mark, whereas the guy we passed up -- Tkachuk -- is already a legitimate top 6 NHL forward. Right now I doubt if there is a GM in the league who would trade away Tkachuk to get Juolevi.

Anyway, we should learn some things from the WJC. Let's hope Juolevi can light things up without Laine and Pulujarvi playing in front of him. I will feel a lot better about Juolevi if he can rise to the occasion at the WJC this year.

• Upvote 1

On 12/20/2016 at 6:51 PM, Odd. said:

You are a very contentious person.

Virtanen was rushed into the NHL last year, same with McCann. I think it messed both of them up. 

Virtanen has just 8 points in 29 AHL games. He should not have been a full time NHL yet. He also scored just 21 goals his last year in the WHL - that isn't exactly dominating. 

Based on his post-draft performance and how we have developed him I would be over the moon if Virtanen became even a 20 goal scorer for us. I think he will be a likeable, useful piece of our team in the mould of a Cal Clutterbuck. A good hockey player for sure, but someone you expect to get at 26th in the draft, not 6th. 

We seem to have luck with college players (Hutton & Stecher) because we don't really need to develop them (four years of college hockey prepares them well). I hope we don't rush Juolevi. 

3 hours ago, JamesB said:

Not sure about the point being made. In his draft +1 year Kane made the NHL and scored 72 pts. and won the Calder trophy.

CDC posters tend to look at Canuck players through rose-colored glasses. If we had a guy make the team in his draft+1 year and literally do half as well as Kane (36 pts) most of CDC would be doing cartwheels.

I guess the point of the post is to argue that CDC is too critical and impatient with prospects. I don't think that is true. CDC stays in denial for a long time when prospects underperform. There was way too much enthusiasm on CDC for Virtanen and Hodgson and Shinkaruk and pretty much everyone else picked in the first round by the Canucks. The only high draft pick in recent memory who has come close to living up to expectations is Horvat.  Even now we are assuming that Boeser is going to be a star even though he has not played so much as one professional game.

As for Juolevi, it is early and of course he is a question mark, whereas the guy we passed up -- Tkachuk -- is already a legitimate top 6 NHL forward. Right now I doubt if there is a GM in the league who would trade away Tkachuk to get Juolevi.

Anyway, we should learn some things from the WJC. Let's hope Juolevi can light things up without Laine and Pulujarvi playing in front of him. I will feel a lot better about Juolevi if he can rise to the occasion at the WJC this year.

Son of Keith maybe looking better now, but he is no Laine or Mathews.  By the same logic Puljarvi and Dubois are inferior to Tkachuk.  I wouldn't trade Puljarvi or Dubois for Tkachuk, no reason I would trade Juolevi at this point. 

• Upvote 1