The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

19 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

He was out there the shift before 

he played a solid game, he's one player a defenseman on a weak inexperienced team. He can't carry the team and he's not going to put up huge numbers with the offense Finland has 

How did Valimaki look out there? Top 15 pick and blasting pucks from backend in Tri-city.

3 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

Tkachuk is so overrated it is not even funny

A guy playing in the NHL in his draft+1 year and scoring at a solid top 6 rate, and contributing to the physical game is off to a pretty good start. And he is +6 on a slightly below average team (with a goal differential of -9). Last year he was part of far and away the best line in junior hockey and probably the best line anywhere outside the NHL and KHL. A lot of people thought that maybe Tkachuk was just a complementary player and it is true that Marner and Dvorak are both doing well in the NHL -- but you could make a case that Tkachuk looks like the best of the three. Not sure how he is "over-rated". He is a good player who is doing better than you would expect from a #6 pick in his draft +1 season. (Remember how our #6 overall pick from 2014 is doing.)

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Stecher was some low hanging fruit that looks pretty darned good;)

Thanks goodness Stecher wanted to come home and Benning did not mess it up. Given his age his is playing about as well as you would reasonably expect from a low first round pick or maybe a high second so that makes up for something.

3 hours ago, clam linguine said:

If this guy [Juolevi] ever becomes a first line NHL Dman....I will be a Monkey's Uncle.  Bet no one has heard that one in a while.

Have not heard "Monkey's Uncle" for at least 30 years. Thanks for reminding me.

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Tkachuk was too obvious of a choice to make, so they decided to go against the rankings like always.

Yup, guys who have studied the draft generally conclude that GM who go "off the board" with high draft picks are usually making a mistake. I cannot come up with the reference but I remember seeing an article that seemed to show that,  for forwards in the first round, if you just take the guy with the highest adjusted scoring rate (i.e. adjusted for league) you will do better than a lot of GMs. In 2014 that would have put Ehlers ahead of Virtanen at #6 and ahead of Dal Colle at #5. Benning went against the consensus in picking Virtanen. (In the summary of rankings at http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings/ 10 out of 13 raters had Ehlers ahead of Virtanen.and 9 of 12 had Nylander ahead of Virtanen.)

In general Benning does not seem to have a big ego compared with most GMs (and many coaches). But he does seem overconfident about his drafting ability. His strategy was to rebuild while making the playoffs -- i.e. rebuild despite picking in the bottom half of the draft, not to mention trading away draft picks.

Edited by JamesB
  • Upvote 4

Man way too much bashing for way too many unknowns.

has everyone given up on virtanen and juolevi already?

why bother placing the value in immediate results vs possibilities.

Most people want high picks anyways so with ehlers and tkachuk on our team are we contenders? Doubt it...

are we a playoff team probably pretty close to it so we'd probably be closer to that no mans land 7/8/9/10 spot.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

True every pick deserves patience, but it's pretty obvious Tkachuk was destined to be that top 6 player that we're hoping Virtanen becomes.

He's already on pace for almost 60 points at 18 and he plays with an edge.

Tkachuk was the safe pick like Bo was the safe pick. I just see more risk coming with Juolevi, which will hopefully come with a higher reward. We won't likely know for at least a few years though.

I'm sure the fact that we already have Virtanen, Tkachuk was passable

9 hours ago, JamesB said:

A guy playing in the NHL in his draft+1 year and scoring at a solid top 6 rate, and contributing to the physical game is off to a pretty good start. And he is +6 on a slightly below average team (with a goal differential of -9). Last year he was part of far and away the best line in junior hockey and probably the best line anywhere outside the NHL and KHL. A lot of people thought that maybe Tkachuk was just a complementary player and it is true that Marner and Dvorak are both doing well in the NHL -- but you could make a case that Tkachuk looks like the best of the three. Not sure how he is "over-rated". He is a good player who is doing better than you would expect from a #6 pick in his draft +1 season. (Remember how our #6 overall pick from 2014 is doing.)

Thanks goodness Stecher wanted to come home and Benning did not mess it up. Given his age his is playing about as well as you would reasonably expect from a low first round pick or maybe a high second so that makes up for something.

Have not heard "Monkey's Uncle" for at least 30 years. Thanks for reminding me.

Yup, guys who have studied the draft generally conclude that GM who go "off the board" with high draft picks are usually making a mistake. I cannot come up with the reference but I remember seeing an article that seemed to show that,  for forwards in the first round, if you just take the guy with the highest adjusted scoring rate (i.e. adjusted for league) you will do better than a lot of GMs. In 2014 that would have put Ehlers ahead of Virtanen at #6 and ahead of Dal Colle at #5. Benning went against the consensus in picking Virtanen. (In the summary of rankings at http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings/ 10 out of 13 raters had Ehlers ahead of Virtanen.and 9 of 12 had Nylander ahead of Virtanen.)

In general Benning does not seem to have a big ego compared with most GMs (and many coaches). But he does seem overconfident about his drafting ability. His strategy was to rebuild while making the playoffs -- i.e. rebuild despite picking in the bottom half of the draft, not to mention trading away draft picks.

Bennng's retool philosophy relies on his ability to use fewer picks, and still out draft all the other teams.  His philosophy exudes arrogance.

12 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

The way that the league as a whole is going in terms of scoring, is the opposite of the way he plays. The points will drop off, then what will he be? A big, slow, winger with a temper and ok (not good) hands. No thank you

I don't know if I entirely agree with that. Tkachuk is good around the net and a LOT of NHL goals are scored there. That and that he's a good complimentary guy to more skilled players is why he was ranked in the top 10. His performance this year also shows that. But otherwise, yes he's not the greatest skater in an ever faster league and while he has decent size he's not huge for the style of game he plays. That will likely catch up to him over his career. As well reff'ing with that temper. 

12 hours ago, JamesB said:

Yup, guys who have studied the draft generally conclude that GM who go "off the board" with high draft picks are usually making a mistake.

Juolevi was not 'off the board' they were pretty much ranked 5/6 with a few scouts (rightly IMO) having Juolevi at 5.

Picking say Bean would have been 'off the board'.

3 hours ago, smokes said:

I'm sure the fact that we already have Virtanen, Tkachuk was passable

Not to mention Boeser. Boeser plays a less gritty but more skilled (as well as primary vs complimentary) version of a similar type of game. 

13 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

He is not a player I would take if I had an early pick (upside IMO is not there), however, the highest I would take him would be 11th

He was rated as the best dman in the draft by almost every draft ranking. Have you seen the value of a top pairing dman in the NHL?

Here is something to ponder....

Columbus is doing so well...

Who is their top Center and has he lit up the scoreboards?

Minnesota.....

Philly...besides Giroux....

Washington....besides BackStrom

These teams are so he'll bent on having the "franchise center".

What they do have are awesome Defense cores that are generally young and going to be together for a long time.

Back when Chicago was suckin, they had Seabrook, Keith, Hjalmarsson as rookies and they played the heck out of them. Get scored on? Back out they go. Make a mistake? Back out you go.

Columbus is freakin awesome and I'm so in awe of what they have done.

Minnesota has an awesome young D with Suter as the mentor

Nashville was like that too until they lost a few pieces.

IM on the fence about losing Tanev and rather get rid of Elder. But a young core we could end up with around Tanev, Stecher, Hutton

Juolevi

Liljegren, Foote, or Hague

Dahlin

Gives us an amazing D for years and years to come. All have size, skating, puck moving ability. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, goblix said:

Man way too much bashing for way too many unknowns.

has everyone given up on virtanen and juolevi already?

why bother placing the value in immediate results vs possibilities.

Most people want high picks anyways so with ehlers and tkachuk on our team are we contenders? Doubt it...

are we a playoff team probably pretty close to it so we'd probably be closer to that no mans land 7/8/9/10 spot.

Ehlers and Tkachuk chance of turning out was much higher so they have as much possibilities as our picks who aren't doing as much as the two. 

wouldn't probably make our team a contender if they're with us just but its the same our picks