The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Getting Parsons, Jones, and Pu back made a big difference.

I notice Juolevi's PIMs have gone up quite a bit. Hopefully that means his getting involved more physically.

London's dealing with flu problems. Was unfortunate they lost all 3 contributors in a single game. I think Victor Mete was also out too.

On 1/28/2017 at 8:07 PM, khay said:

Nice post. Put into words what I had in mind but couldn't.

I think his ability to read the situations to see what options are available and his ability to choose the best option among the available options is at an elite level.

To see why this is important, compare this to a player, who has tunnel vision and is unable to assess all available options in a short amount of time or a player who can see all the available options but does not always make the optimal decision. 

Us fans in the stands or watching on TV can see all available options because we have the bird's eye view. The players cannot see all the options so when we see a player miss an opportunity to break out on what looks like an obvious passing option, we criticize them, not realizing that the best option was not visible to the player in question.  With OJ, I think there will be far less criticism in this regards compared to other players but as you said, if he does not learn to transition faster so that the options that he sees don't disappear, he won't amount to anything better than a top 4.

However, if he is able to do it, then he will be an elite level defenceman. That's how I feel about OJ.

On 1/28/2017 at 9:21 PM, Horvat is a Boss said:

I think he definitely has the IQ and smarts to be able to do that. If you guys are referring specifically to today's game, it looked like any ability to do that was prevented by either his forwards not giving him options or Owen Sound simply relentlessly attacking the puck. In comparison, the Attack's defenseman would strip the London forward at the blue line, make a D to D pass and then quickly get it up to the forwards. 

But you guys are right. If he can learn to do that consistently and effectively, it will pretty much solidify his position as a #2. He's still young enough to learn that too. 

One more thing to add about his transition and control, is that he doesn't have exceptional escapability. Sometimes escapability is misinterpreted as dynamic skill, and I have to disagree with that association. Dynamic skill would be to generate offence seemingly out of nothing, but what I haven't seen much from OJ is his ability to skill his way out of danger without passing. He passes so well out of danger it's scary, but he lacks the escapability a natural top D pairing has, whether that's speed, quickness or craftiness. There have actually been numerous occasions where I've seen him get absolutely rocked (take a hit to make a play is usually reserved for forwards). It could be that I've only seen him play a dozen times or so, but I don't think we can say "oh he's just not a dynamic player" because that's what separates top pairing Dmen is that they can beat you in all different kinds of ways. And it seems as though OJ can only pass his way out of trouble.

Edited by junglesniper

I still know that this was the right pick. Once Juolevi gains some more explosiveness, strength, more speed, some repetition in situational plays within the Nhl, this kid will be a for sure #2-3 dman for most teams. Even though Tkachuk is a pain in the ass to play against, i pick Juolevi all day at that point. 

On 29/01/2017 at 6:28 PM, Odd. said:

I find it weird that Juolevi's is on pace to shatter his point totals from last year in 30 less games despite London having a very stacked team last year. You would think his point totals would actually drop a little considering Marner, Dvorak, and Tkachuk left and his ice-time seems to have decreased. All is good though.

listening to the usual suspects, you'd think Juolevi's offensive play had fallen off the face of the earth, rather than actually improving

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yes, he's destined to turn out only "slightly better offensively" than Tanev... which is about Murzyn or Snepsts level.

Listen you cheeky bugger :P

On 1/25/2017 at 11:20 AM, J.R. said:

Sorry, that should have been, slightly more offensive (I don't think he'll put up huge numbers, likely 25-35 points in his prime) but yes, he is much more creative/dynamic. He'll do more to drive play, particularly in the offensive zone, even if that doesn't translate to vastly more individual points.

On 2017-01-29 at 9:17 PM, junglesniper said:

One more thing to add about his transition and control, is that he doesn't have exceptional escapability. Sometimes escapability is misinterpreted as dynamic skill, and I have to disagree with that association. Dynamic skill would be to generate offence seemingly out of nothing, but what I haven't seen much from OJ is his ability to skill his way out of danger without passing. He passes so well out of danger it's scary, but he lacks the escapability a natural top D pairing has, whether that's speed, quickness or craftiness. There have actually been numerous occasions where I've seen him get absolutely rocked (take a hit to make a play is usually reserved for forwards). It could be that I've only seen him play a dozen times or so, but I don't think we can say "oh he's just not a dynamic player" because that's what separates top pairing Dmen is that they can beat you in all different kinds of ways. And it seems as though OJ can only pass his way out of trouble.

He lacks escapabilty? Then why did many junior coaches say he's one of the hardest players to forecheck? 

• Upvote 1

On 2017-01-31 at 3:55 PM, Hutton Wink said:

"slightly better offensively"

On 2017-01-25 at 11:20 AM, J.R. said:

slightly more offensive

Hmmm, guess I'm just not seeing any significant difference there, sir.  35 points would be double Tanev's career average, btw.

If Juolevi turns out to be a 25-point career defenceman that would have to be considered a significant disappointment, imo.

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Hmmm, guess I'm just not seeing any significant difference there, sir.  35 points would be double Tanev's career average, btw.

If Juolevi turns out to be a 25-point career defenceman that would have to be considered a significant disappointment, imo.

That's because you edited out the 'significant difference'. OJ's going to get a lot of '3rd assists' IMO.

He'll do more to drive play, particularly in the offensive zone, even if that doesn't translate to vastly more individual points.

And yes, I agree 25 points is likely him in a 'bad' year or still developing etc and yes I'm speaking about Tanev in his prime, not career. But I don't think he's going to be a 40-50+ point D unless he exceeds expectations and starts looking like the Lidstrom 2.0 that should piss off a few of the above posters :lol:

On 2017-01-31 at 4:26 PM, messier's_elbow said:

I would love to hear a Dale Hunter interview about Juolevi. I remember when Bo was first drafted, Hunter raved about him and gave great analysis. I bet he would say the same about Juolevi. Just needs to add strength and some muscle mass. 

It's on Canucks.com

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/hes-a-winner/c-888591

• Upvote 2