The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Juolevi could probably use another year in the O, and then another season in Utica. Wouldn't say his season is disappointing, but he didn't exactly take the next step which we all expected him to do but that's fine.

orly.jpg

17 hours ago, J.R. said:

That's just not happening.

Alzner likely won't want to come here. Benning has already stated they won't be in the market for big name UFA's, just lesser bridge/depth guys.

It's not happening.

Likely not happening. Alzner is almost 30, hard to believe. His demands would likely be market price with a minimum 6 years. That could change somewhat depending whether he is a CUP champion or not. Word earlier this season that he could move on as Washington has a CAP problem. Replacing Edler with Alzner sounds great IMHO but timing to negociate that is almost impossible.  

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Likely not happening. Alzner is almost 30, hard to believe. His demands would likely be market price with a minimum 6 years. That could change somewhat depending whether he is a CUP champion or not. Word earlier this season that he could move on as Washington has a CAP problem. Replacing Edler with Alzner sounds great IMHO but timing to negociate that is almost impossible.  

Yeah, besides Benning already stating he won't sign this type of player, there's no reason to believe Alzner would want to come to a rebuilding team either. And if he did, it would cost us above market value to do so considering that fact.

So instead of at most, 2 more years of Edler at $5m, we're going to sign a largely lateral improvement Alzner who's not much younger to a likely closer to $7m X 6-7 year contract....? All while we have a ton of young D depth coming on line in the next couple years demanding those minutes.

No thanks.

9 hours ago, logic said:

easy bro... the Canucks have had 1, maybe 2 50 pt in the last 20 years lmao.

6 hours ago, J.R. said:

Prepare to be disappointed. 

oh but I won't be disappointed.  he will either achieve it or he won't.  it was a hope not an expectation :D

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

ya signing alzner would be unwise unless he's willing to take a home town discount. he is from van isn't he?

Edler + Sbisa for Bowey :)

they'd probably ask for tryamkin though lol

Just now, Rush17 said:

ya signing alzner would be unwise unless he's willing to take a home town discount. he is from van isn't he?

Edler + Sbisa for Bowey :)

they'd probably ask for tryamkin though lol

just before I get jumped on lol.  the value of know rofl 

So...Jake is down too 213 Lbs. and skating the puck into the O zone with speed and force...an off season of roofing the puck 100 times a day should get him where he needs to be for next year.

Ooops I thought I was in the Jake thread ...all the talk about everything else but Juolevi got me all confused....

Here is hoping Oli puts on some muscle and a little more foot speed by next year!!

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego
  • Upvote 3

16 hours ago, logic said:

easy bro... the Canucks have had 1, maybe 2 50 pt in the last 20 years lmao.

Another point I wanted to make.  We finally have Jim Benning.  Mr. Bennington.  If anyone can find a 50+ D man I'm suspecting Mr. Bennington the fifth can. :D

gotta believeeeeeeee :D #canucksibelieveeeee

6 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

So...Jake is down too 213 Lbs. and skating the puck into the O zone with speed and force...an off season of roofing the puck 100 times a day should get him where he needs to be for next year.

Ooops I thought I was in the Jake thread ...all the talk about everything else but Juolevi got me all confused....

Here is hoping Oli puts on some muscle and a little more foot speed by next year!!

Yes the potential to be great is there he thinks the game better than his detractors would give him credit for where he is special beyond his years is his ability to think a play ahead and shut down good chances. He dont have that mean streak but if you could shut down scoring plays you have a good chance to win games. If he was eating up weak competition as a physical specimen than I'd be worried right now he is using above average smarts to contribute to his team.

Edited by CanuckleHorse

I was just curious, how does Olli Juolevi compare to Jakob Chychrun?  Of course Juolevi is still playing in juniors but Chychrun is already playing in the NHL.  Which one of the two are projected to have the higher ceiling?

4 minutes ago, prix57 said:

I was just curious, how does Olli Juolevi compare to Jakob Chychrun?  Of course Juolevi is still playing in juniors but Chychrun is already playing in the NHL.  Which one of the two are projected to have the higher ceiling?

If I remember correctly from the draft, Chychrun was thought to be the most NHL ready of the defensemen but Juolevi was predicted to have a higher possible ceiling. Chychrun was also known to be more physical and Juolevi thought of as having better offensive vision, however both were billed as two-way defensemen (versus Sergachev, for example, who was considered to be more of an offensive defenseman). 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, CanuckleHorse said:

Yes the potential to be great is there he thinks the game better than his detractors would give him credit for where he is special beyond his years is his ability to think a play ahead and shut down good chances. He dont have that mean streak but if you could shut down scoring plays you have a good chance to win games. If he was eating up weak competition as a physical specimen than I'd be worried right now he is using above average smarts to contribute to his team.

How do we know this? VIrtually no scouting organizations viewed Juolevi as potentially "great". The general view is that he MIGHT be good enough to be a #2 D in the NHL but is unlikely to ever be a legitimate #1 D.

But as for being exceptionally good in thinking a play ahead, that sounds to me like wishful thinking -- one of the unobservable intangibles that we console ourselves with when the tangible things we can observe are going so well.

On 3/17/2017 at 7:36 AM, Odd. said:

Juolevi could probably use another year in the O, and then another season in Utica. Wouldn't say his season is disappointing, but he didn't exactly take the next step which we all expected him to do but that's fine.

This is a good call on Juolevi, maybe even a bit generous. There certainly appears to be no way he will be ready for the NHL next year. He needs to get stronger, work on his shot, and work on his skating (yes he is "smooth" skater but he needs better acceleration). And it would be nice see him get more aggressive in driving play, although that is not necessarily something that can be learned.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Being asked to play more defensively, fewer all star forwards and almost the same PPG. Id say he's had a very good development year. Look forward to see him on the Canucks soon. Any chance he plays for us the this year?

Dont think so. Small chance he will play for the Comets if London gets eliminated from playoffs early. 

7 minutes ago, winthecup said:

Dont think so. Small chance he will play for the Comets if London gets eliminated from playoffs early. 

Afaik, Juolevi is not eligible to play for the Comets. His only 2 North American choices for both right now and next season are: Canucks or Knights. I'm not sure he's ready for the NHL, but what more can he learn playing for the Knights? Perhaps Europe then?