The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 hour ago, guntrix said:

He looks physically weak against players shorter than him in the OHL... can't begin to fathom how he'd look against adults. 

You can be big and still get easily pushed off the puck. Part of what makes a small NHL defenseman like Krug good is their core strength.

I really hope you keep up with Olli's development by watching him play instead of using Tweets, highlights and whatever is said on here. It would be extremely hypocritical to say this if you didn't.

You can't even defend him statistically as he's only improved on his prior season by the slimmest of margins. It's looking more and more like playing with Laine/Pulji padded his stats with Finland and playing with the big 3 padded his stats with London.

Do I expect him to turn it around? absolutely. Did he stagnate this year? Yes, whether you'd like to admit or not. 

Juolevi probably felt he was ready for a few game stint with the main team to start the season.  obviously with our depth that wasn't going to happen.  

but after seeing Jake and Jared do it last season. he might of felt he had a shot at at least a few games.

that might cause a bit of a boredom to his game where he looks to be a step ahead of most of the guys around him.  you can argue the stats are missing but he also played his heart out last season.

I would think his stats reflect that of someone who hasn't fully been invested in every shift this season.  that obviously would be a concerning sign but from the few games I've seen him play he looks miles better then anyone else on his team defensively and he does it with ease.  

Juolevi is the type of player that strives in tough and challenging situations. I'm glad he's explored his offensive game a little more trying more risky plays. not all of those pay off but it will only help his confidence. 

I hope we see Juolevi elevate his game in the post season when the games really matter.  if he's back in London next year I can't see it being good for his development unless he's named team captain and gets 25-27 minutes a night. 

my theory isn't the best to speak for him. but I think it's lack of a challenge more then lack of desire. he excels when he has too but doesn't seem to over exert himself.   I could be dead wrong but that is what I believe may be going on.

Just now, Rush17 said:

Juolevi probably felt he was ready for a few game stint with the main team to start the season.  obviously with our depth that wasn't going to happen.  

but after seeing Jake and Jared do it last season. he might of felt he had a shot at at least a few games.

that might cause a bit of a boredom to his game where he looks to be a step ahead of most of the guys around him.  you can argue the stats are missing but he also played his heart out last season.

I would think his stats reflect that of someone who hasn't fully been invested in every shift this season.  that obviously would be a concerning sign but from the few games I've seen him play he looks miles better then anyone else on his team defensively and he does it with ease.  

Juolevi is the type of player that strives in tough and challenging situations. I'm glad he's explored his offensive game a little more trying more risky plays. not all of those pay off but it will only help his confidence. 

I hope we see Juolevi elevate his game in the post season when the games really matter.  if he's back in London next year I can't see it being good for his development unless he's named team captain and gets 25-27 minutes a night. 

my theory isn't the best to speak for him. but I think it's lack of a challenge more then lack of desire. he excels when he has too but doesn't seem to over exert himself.   I could be dead wrong but that is what I believe may be going on.

and just to clarify.  Juolevi is arguably my favorite prospect we have in our system.  Boeser is the most exciting but Juolevi too me could be that #1 D we have been searching for.

I've always admired the great d who help carry their teams to victory! Scott Stevens, Scott Niedermayer, Duncan Keith, Drew Doughty.  these types of #1 D are something I always enjoy watching as they play the game with real mastery.

Brock Boeser is going to be a stud. he's going to be reaaal guud :D

19 hours ago, guntrix said:

I'm leaning towards Europe actually where his smallish frame may not be too much of a detriment. I've never seen a player stagnate so much with his junior club. This can be bad for obvious reasons or it can be because Olli needs to push himself at a higher level and he's just cruising with the Knights. 

Never seen a player stagnate like that huh.

So....about that

On Saturday, March 11, 2017 at 0:29 PM, Warhippy said:

Drouin was drafted 3rd overall.  In his draft year +1 he only increased his point totals by 3 whole points.  

Dal Colle drafted 5th.  +1 year dropped totals by 2 points.

Nick Ritchie, +1 dropped by 12 points.

You know.  Just sayin that he's actually improving in all stats with less games played snd less average ice time.

So....ya

Edit*  patience.  He might be 2 years away but worth it

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So....about that

You know.  Just sayin that he's actually improving in all stats with less games played snd less average ice time.

So....ya

Do we really want to compare Olli to Dal Colle? Think about that. He may never be a mainstay at the NHL level.

As for Drouin, it's hard to increase your point totals by a lot when in your draft year you total 105 points in 49 games. Context is important. 

As for Ritchie:

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
2010-11 Georgetown Raiders OJHL 1 0 0 0 0   -- -- -- -- --
2011-12 Peterborough Petes OHL 62 16 23 39 60 -22 -- -- -- -- --
2012-13 Peterborough Petes OHL 41 18 17 35 50 -10 -- -- -- -- --
2013-14 Peterborough Petes OHL 61 39 35 74 136 4 11 5 5 10 24
2014-15 Peterborough Petes OHL 25 14 18 32 69 -10 -- -- -- -- --
2014-15 Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds OHL 23 15 15 30 44 11 14 13 13 26 28
2015-16 San Diego Gulls AHL 38 16 14 30 59 -3 9 5 3 8 20
2015-16 Anaheim Ducks NHL 33 2 2 4 37 -2 -- -- -- -- --
2016-17 Anaheim Ducks NHL 64 12 12 24 41 2        

He was drafted following his 2013-14 season where he totalled 74 points in 61 games. The following season he indeed totalled 12 less points in 48 total games played between the Petes and the Greyhounds. That's 13 LESS games.

edit. As for Olli, his +/- took a blow. You'd think that with Olli being partially eased out of certain responsibilities, he wouldn't regress so much. 

Edited by guntrix
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So....about that

So....ya

Droing scored more points in 3 less games

Dal Colle had 2 less points in 12 less games

Ritchie had 12 less points in 13 less games. His ppg went up

Those are some bad examples

• Upvote 2

I want to get peoples thoughts on how Juolevi stacks up vs the other top 10 d man drafted in the past few seasons.  In terms of his potential and expectations at his draft year and how he stacks up now. I will probably do that post sometime in the future. It's been on my mind for sometime.

Decided to create it tonight.  Should be under this prospect section

Edited by Rush17

2 hours ago, guntrix said:

He looks physically weak against players shorter than him in the OHL... can't begin to fathom how he'd look against adults. 

You can be big and still get easily pushed off the puck. Part of what makes a small NHL defenseman like Krug good is their core strength.

I really hope you keep up with Olli's development by watching him play instead of using Tweets, highlights and whatever is said on here. It would be extremely hypocritical to say this if you didn't.

You can't even defend him statistically as he's only improved on his prior season by the slimmest of margins. It's looking more and more like playing with Laine/Pulji padded his stats with Finland and playing with the big 3 padded his stats with London.

Do I expect him to turn it around? absolutely. Did he stagnate this year? Yes, whether you'd like to admit or not. 

Honestly what other effect would you expect from playing with some of the most lethal offensive players in the world of the age group. Do you actually think this was not accounted for in his scouting?

Would you expect higher stats from him this year playing without Tkachuk, Dvorak, Marner, Laine, and Puljijarvi?

The analysis was not expecting Olli to be a powerhouse offensive dman. You are ignoring the strengths of what Olli brings if you are focusing on his stats (albeit they actually have increased in the absense of those powerhouse linemates).

The fact is he is very intelligent, an amazing skater, great mobility and awareness. His development with those players around him have given him a more rounded offensive game. He is smart enough to play more offensively however he strives at the sound defense he plays and a very tranaferable game to pro. He just needs to add the strength to excel in pro. Dont expec an Erik Karlsson. Lidstrom is a more realistic style comparison but not obviously not expecting a hall of famer.

I think it was a great pick. I would have loved Tkachuk just because I think his style of game would have meshed very very well with Bo but I think either way we went we were getting a great player.

Edited by Bobby_Lu1ngo
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Bobby_Lu1ngo said:

Honestly what other effect would you expect from playing with some of the most lethal offensive players in the world of the age group. Do you actually think this was not accounted for in his scouting?

Would you expect higher stats from him this year playing without Tkachuk, Dvorak, Marner, Laine, and Puljijarvi?

The analysis was not expecting Olli to be a powerhouse offensive dman. You are ignoring the strengths of what Olli brings if you are focusing on his stats (albeit they actually have increased in the absense of those powerhouse linemates).

The fact is he is very intelligent, an amazing skater, great mobility and awareness. His development with those players around him have given him a more rounded offensive game. He is smart enough to play more offensively however he strives at the sound defense he plays and a very tranaferable game to pro. He just needs to add the strength to excel in pro. Dont expec an Erik Karlsson. Lidstrom is a more realistic style comparison but not obviously not expecting a hall of famer.

I think it was a great pick. I would have loved Tkachuk just because I think his style of game would have meshed very very well with Bo but I think either way we went we were getting a great player.

I don't think any young defender should ever be realistically compared to Lidstrom, one of the few players with basically no weaknesses. If only he were a bit bigger who knows what he could have accomplished. 

3 hours ago, guntrix said:

I've watched Juolevi several times this year and he hasn't stagnanted... they lost 3 star players off London and the WJ team lost Laine, Poolparty, Aho and Rantenen. His stats will take a hit. The guy is going to be really good for us and I think your just complaining cause of how well Tkatchuk is doing. Give Juolevi a few years before you judge. He will be a top 2 defenceman in the NHL.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, guntrix said:

He was drafted following his 2013-14 season where he totalled 74 points in 61 games. The following season he indeed totalled 12 less points in 48 total games played between the Petes and the Greyhounds. That's 13 LESS games

1 hour ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

My math could be wrong but didn't Ritchie's ppg only improve by .08? And that's playing half a season on a pretty stacked Soo team.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

My math could be wrong but didn't Ritchie's ppg only improve by .08? And that's playing half a season on a pretty stacked Soo team.

IIRC, when Ritchie arrived at the Greyhounds, Tolchinsky and Bunting were already there putting up big points as left wingers. I can't say I quite remember but I'm assuming he was no longer the go-to man like he was with the Petes. 

1 hour ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

He's played less games this year.  His minutes per game are down almost 2 minutes total.   He has less PP time per game as well.

And almost across the board hid stats went up.

Remind me again how that's not an apt comparison when he's being called for a stagnant draft year +1

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, guntrix said:

IIRC, when Ritchie arrived at the Greyhounds, Tolchinsky and Bunting were already there putting up big points as left wingers. I can't say I quite remember but I'm assuming he was no longer the go-to man like he was with the Petes. 

Just remind me again how those 3 examples weren't stagnating when their totals went down while OJs had the same issue with less games/ice time/PP time but his stats went up

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

He's played less games this year.  His minutes per game are down almost 2 minutes total.   He has less PP time per game as well.

And almost across the board hid stats went up.

Remind me again how that's not an apt comparison when he's being called for a stagnant draft year +1

context I think might help people. appreciate you sharing this. I had no idea his minutes were down and he had less pp time.  good to know all this. 

Wow I disagree with everyone that says he is stagnating. Juolevi has increased his point totals, while playing a more defensive role this year. He is a solid prospect and will be a big part of our team for years to come. Also remember that Juolevi is young and will have his ups and downs. When he was drafted Benning said he wouldn't be a huge points guy but just a great D all around. Just let the kid develop and you'll see.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Just remind me again how those 3 examples weren't stagnating when their totals went down while OJs had the same issue with less games/ice time/PP time but his stats went up

What? Olli is on track to play the exact same amount of games - if he plays the remaining four regular season games, he'll hit the 57 GP mark (the EXACT same as last year). Yes, most of his stats went up but by the slimmest margins, but not all. His +/- went down. I'd like to see his advanced stats but I'm having trouble finding them.

However, unlike the other three, Olli was given the reigns at the beginning of the season and gradually played himself off certain privileges. His PP and minutes/game time are down purely because of him, no one else is to blame. 

As said before, your analysis lacks context. Not only for those other three but also for Juolevi.