The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

Robert Thomas looks like a guy to keep on the draft radar at the high end of the 2nd round, where the Canucks will have a pick.

Young draft age - July birthday - solid two way young center with good production (ppg) this year.  Resembles Horvat in more ways than one.

1 hour ago, Art Vandelay said:

Nice snipe! I hope he continues his offensive prowess and it becomes a fixture of his game. Here is a link of a longer clip: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/juolevi-right-place-right-time-snipe-home-goal/

EDIT: Apparently Juolevi had a huge hit on Brown? Did anyone see that??

Edited by HomeBrew
  • Upvote 1

Sure is nice to have these London games televised and get to watch Juolevi play.

Gotta say he is playing as advertised. Wins most battles along the boards through being crafty and smart with body position. Great at getting the puck out of the zone and making breakout passes. Great shot and skills when given the opportunity. Hard to find a fault in his game today, missed the second period though. He could be more of a game changer if he was more aggressive offensively but that's just not his game. He's a low risk player, reminds me a lot of Hamhuis out there.  Made some great desperation defensive plays at the end of the game. Selling out and blocking passes. 

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

Putting on weight is harder than it sounds. (I admit it is not hard for me. All I have to do is eat as much as I want.) It has to be the right kind of weight.

And it is not just a matter of adding muscle. Adding upper body muscle adds weight without adding skating power and slows players down. It also raises the center of gravity and makes guys less stable on their skates.  Bulking up (with muscle) did not help Virtanen and the same is true with a lot of guys.

The best additional weight comes from natural growth, especially growth in the lower body -- more muscle and increasing bone mass and bone density. That happens naturally in late teens and early 20s, and can be helped with lower body weight training, diet, sleep, etc. And, as lower body strength increases it can of course be balanced with upper body weight gain.

Some young guys, like Juolevi, are just slim to start with (at the draft) and can usually benefit by adding 5 to 10 pounds of upper body muscle. But it is important not to overdo upper body weight training.

Most people do not understand that with proper weight training that it is the strength gained that is as important as the weight gain. 10 pounds of pure muscle can equal an huge improvement in overall body strength. The goal of most athletes is to get explosive as possible and with most athletes they can gain that explosive strength with little actual weight gain. The hardest goal as a trainer is finding the ideal body weight for the athlete, where they have near perfect mass gain and big improvement in athletic explosiveness, agility and endurance.

Edited by vancan2233

To be honest, Sergachev looks really good out there too. He is so far above the CHL in terms of physicality it's funny. He just shrugs off anyone that comes at him and imposes his will on anyone. He doesn't play the pro style game like Juolevi, but he looks like he could easily learn it.

Seeing where Juolevi plays next year will be very interesting. I would bet on returning to London or being sheltered on the Canucks.

I am not as optimistic on Juolevi as some others are. This team needs a stud defenseman to go anywhere near a championship. A solid #2 guy isn't going to cut it. Lots of guys can rip it up in major junior and flame out in the pros.  Way too early to tell, but I will hope for the best.

If he can cut down the Edleresque give aways....he already has a better breakout pass and a better shot, he is a faster thinker than Edler already but needs to try to develop Lidsrom's  "eyes in the back of the head" ability...I think he can do it real soon....but maybe playing on Dahlen's team in Sweden next year would be a good idea for him.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I thought Juolevi looked more NHL ready than Sergachev.....

Skill wise I agree with you for sure. I don't know if Juolevi would be able to handle the physicality in the NHL as good as Sergachev could at this point though. I don't know if it's just me, but he seemed to have some dominant shifts and others where he seemed kind of like he was bored out there.  I don't know if he doesn't have a high intensity level or what. I don't want to be too harsh on that since I've only watched him twice. 

13 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

If he can cut down the Edleresque give aways....he already has a better breakout pass and a better shot, he is a faster thinker than Edler already but needs to try to develop Lidsrom's  "eyes in the back of the head" ability...I think he can do it real soon....but maybe playing on Dahlen's team in Sweden next year would be a good idea for him.

Lol yeah he definitely is a faster thinker then Edler. Edler waits 15 minutes for every hairy leg to get in the way to block a shot, then boom takes it anyways... blocked and breakaway, especially on the power play.    

2 minutes ago, WestCoast5347 said:

Skill wise I agree with you for sure. I don't know if Juolevi would be able to handle the physicality in the NHL as good as Sergachev could at this point though.

Didn't he demolish Logan Brown (6'6" 214 lbs) with an open ice hit last game? Still waiting for the video on that.

Not saying that's going to be a regular part of his game, but he can certainly handle himself when he has to.

• Upvote 1