The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

7 minutes ago, canuckleface77 said:

The issue is he reminds me of Alex Edler.

So much potential, so much skill, so much promise....but just seems like it's not that important to him. And maybe that is the wrong viewpoint, maybe he does care, who are we to say, but thats the perception.   There is a certain passion and competitiveness that you want in guys like Burrows, Kesler, the Twins, Luongo....Edler never plays with desperation, and OJ reminds me of him.

I hope I'm wrong.

Different personalities =/= indifferent. The Sedins are 'stoic' too but if you're going to suggest to me they (especially in their prime) lack passion, competitiveness etc I will first laugh at you and then I'll highly considering smacking you across your face :P

Scandinavian thing IMO. The word stoic comes to mind.

Do not mistake it for a lack of intensity or 'care'. I think people would be surprised how much a guy like Edler or Juolevi 'cares', even if it's not written on their faces. Their just not 'heart on their sleeve' types.

Again, it's a personality thing. Some guys (and seemingly most Scandinavians) simply aren't 'rah-rah / heart on their sleeves' guys. Don't confuse that with a lack of fire, competitiveness, desire, passion or desperation.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

SID had a great post on this a while back.

As he points out, OJ, can certainly still improve his intensity/physicality and add more elements to his game, as I'm sure he will. But it's not particularly a concern given the cerebral way he plays IMO.

^This is what I've been saying, tho. 

I personally think it's a concern because I don't want another Elder but rather a more intense and physical Elder; something we all wish Elder was his entire career. 

Lastly, I think it's great that he played a better game when it mattered, but wouldn't it be nice to see him play like that even when it didn't matter? 

11 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

^This is what I've been saying, tho. 

I personally think it's a concern because I don't want another Elder but rather a more intense and physical Elder; something we all wish Elder was his entire career. 

Lastly, I think it's great that he played a better game when it mattered, but wouldn't it be nice to see him play like that even when it didn't matter? 

It's a short tourny, takes time to build chemistry etc. IMO, he has been playing that way in Liiga.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

It's a short tourny, takes time to build chemistry etc. IMO, he has been playing that way in Liiga.

Admittedly, I haven't watched any of his games in Liiga, but that's good to hear. 

I should also clarify that it's not a huge concern for me - it's just a concern and area I think he could improve on. I said earlier that if he turns out to be an Elder I'd be very happy. But he has the potential to be better than Edler if he can amp up his game and sense of urgency more times than just when it matters. 

I'm also pretty sure it's an area that will be addressed because some hockey analysts have mentioned his, at times, lackadaisical play, so I'm sure the Nucks have noticed it too. 

2 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Admittedly, I haven't watched any of his games in Liiga, but that's good to hear. 

I should also clarify that it's not a huge concern for me - it's just a concern and area I think he could improve on. I said earlier that if he turns out to be an Elder I'd be very happy. But he has the potential to be better than Edler if he can amp up his game and sense of urgency more times than just when it matters. 

I'm also pretty sure it's an area that will be addressed because some hockey analysts have mentioned his, at times, lackadaisical play, so I'm sure the Nucks have noticed it too. 

IMO it's a 'concern' like Boeser's skating is a 'concern'.

Could he improve his physicality/aggression etc? Sure. Most NHL players are constantly fine tuning/improving their game and/or conditioning somewhere.

It's FAR from some roadblock he'll need to overcome though.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

IMO it's a 'concern' like Boeser's skating is a 'concern'.

Could he improve his physicality/aggression etc? Sure. Most NHL players are constantly fine tuning/improving their game and/or conditioning somewhere.

It's FAR from some roadblock he'll need to overcome though.

To be fair, I far from said that it's a roadblock he needs to overcome. 

It kind of seems like you're arguing with me rather than reading my posts. 

3 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

To be fair, I far from said that it's a roadblock he needs to overcome. 

It kind of seems like you're arguing with me rather than reading my posts. 

It just seems to be the general 'tone' (not just you).

Scandinavian players simply don't seem to be the heart on their sleeves type. It seems many here consider that a fault/flaw/roadblock. The typical (and ignorant) 'soft Euro' sentiment.

I've read all your posts ;)

Edited by aGENT

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It just seems to be the general 'tone' (not just you).

Scandinavian players simply don't seem to be the heart on their sleeves type. It seems many here consider that a fault/flaw/roadblock. The typical (and ignorant) 'soft Euro' sentiment.

I've read all your posts ;)

I've said nothing of the sort. 

In fact, I've also posted how I'm an OJ fan; I gave out a verbal "yes!" when he was picked because I'm a JB believer and know how steady OJ is and how badly we need D prospects like him. The concern for me - and others, including some hockey analysts - started with his last year in junior and at prospect camp. He tends to play, at times, like he's bored when he plays against his peers, which he and management have admitted to, which is why he's playing against men in Finland. (It's nice to hear that he's not playing like that in Liiga.) Again, I still think he will be a very good player for us as is. 

With regards to you comparison of Boeser's skating, I'd say a more fair comparison is saying that it's a concern that EP won't fill out like we all hope he will and he will instead stay small like his brother. Do I think he will be a very good player for us even if he doesn't fill out? Yes, I do. Would it be better if he did fill out? Yes, of course. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Jester13 said:

I'm not saying he doesn't care; he wouldn't be playing if he didn't. I'm saying he plays like he doesn't care. 

Edit: some hockey pundits have pointed this out a few times already with OJ. It's something he needs to work on: to play with more intensity and a sense of urgency. 

i would 100% disagree with you.  he was fully engaged every shift. because of his hockey sense he could read plays and be more direct with his actions.  just because a player is constantly skating everywhere doesnt make them a good player.

and on a side note. if juolevi didnt care why was he argubly the most impactful player? u can't be a player of the game standing around unless your the netminder.

Edited by Rush17
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

i would 100% disagree with you.  he was fully engaged every shift. because of his hockey sense he could read plays and be more direct with his actions.  just because a player is constantly skating everywhere doesnt make them a good player.

I watched all of his games in the tourney and I noticed more than a few times where he looked lackadaisical on plays and shifts, so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I've also clearly stated my thoughts in multiple previous posts, so I'm really not up for repeating myself even more. 

I think a lot of people are getting confused by this "he looks disinterested" remark with his non-flashy, calm, smooth and collected game. Again he's not going to wow you every time he touches the puck. Skating all over the ice doesn't make you a great player, just ask Bartkowski. Juolevi was easily the best defenseman (along with Jokiharju) for Finland in that tournament. I'm glad his point totals reflect that. 

IMO, if Juolevi can bring the exact kind of game he had during the WJC to training camp/preseason, he's easily going to crack our futile defense. Juolevi/Stecher pairing would look very nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

42 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I think a lot of people are getting confused by this "he looks disinterested" remark with his non-flashy, calm, smooth and collected game. Again he's not going to wow you every time he touches the puck. Skating all over the ice doesn't make you a great player, just ask Bartkowski. Juolevi was easily the best defenseman (along with Jokiharju) for Finland in that tournament. I'm glad his point totals reflect that. 

IMO, if Juolevi can bring the exact kind of game he had during the WJC to training camp/preseason, he's easily going to crack our futile defense. Juolevi/Stecher pairing would look very nice.

When people see him on a team where he is the only player worth paying attention to, his flaws and positive play are magnified. There is definitely plenty of encouraging signs from this tournament and I highly doubt rainbow butt monkey has seen him play in Liiga this year, but I have caught portions of games this year and he looks steady. Every D-man is going to stand out negatively if all you do is concentrate on them every minute they're on the ice, it's a tough position to play and there aren't any mistake free D-men.

His urgency with the puck does need to increase for him to be effective in the NHL. He has proven he has it, but he needs to prove it consistently to be the player that we  all know he can become.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I read many of the posts on this thread and wonder how people can possibly know what a kid is thinking on an ice sheet based upon what they themselves are seeing from a skewed version of events on a television set.    Further, if any one has ever played hockey beyond the beer league/house league level you will know full well that what happens at ice level and who is really controlling the game is very hard to see at times from the stands let alone a television set.   

It is from that above perspective that leads me to conclude, when I see things like people questioning passion for the game or intensity or even effort (the term lackadaisical was farcically used), that it seems to be more "fun" for people to invent issues for their team's prospects than support that prospect.   NO ONE at the World Junior level is "lackadaisical" and NO ONE lacks passion for the game.   

Good grief.    

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I read many of the posts on this thread and wonder how people can possibly know what a kid is thinking on an ice sheet based upon what they themselves are seeing from a skewed version of events on a television set.    Further, if any one has ever played hockey beyond the beer league/house league level you will know full well that what happens at ice level and who is really controlling the game is very hard to see at times from the stands let alone a television set.   

It is from that above perspective that leads me to conclude, when I see things like people questioning passion for the game or intensity or even effort (the term lackadaisical was farcically used), that it seems to be more "fun" for people to invent issues for their team's prospects than support that prospect.   NO ONE at the World Junior level is "lackadaisical" and NO ONE lacks passion for the game.   

Good grief.    

I'm sorry, but he does make some careless (i.e. lackadaisical) shots, backchecks, and plays sometimes. He's not some infallible prospect who never makes mistakes like some on here make him seem. It's just an area that he can improve on. A little less lack and a little more urgency. Is that not ok to say? 

These boards are so polarizing: it's either blind love or hate for our players.

You of all people, Zepp, should be able to have a balanced discussion about a player - I've read you on these boards complaining of others not being able to, so what gives when it comes to OJ?

I can't stand MT, btw, if that helps any.

• Upvote 1