The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

4 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Benning and group have done a great job drafting in last 4 years...

They have only drafted 3 D men in top 90.

Juolevi  #5     -   2016

Brisebois #66 -  2015

Tryamkin  #66 -  2014

Rest of D man drafted by JB were in later rounds...

I Think this year there 1st pick will be a D man and maybe another  D man in 2nd or 3rd round..

What does this have to do with the London knights man?

4 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

It’s good for Pouliot to get a second chance and I hope he makes the most of it, but at the same time, he’s not someone I’m penciling into our future core.  The only player that fits that bill in our system is Juolevi.  Pouliot (and technically Hutton) need to make the most of this summer, because if Juolevi comes into camp ready to play, he once again could be getting surpassed on the depth chart sitting on the outside looking in.  IF that’s the case I’m not sure he will be getting many more chances in this league.

I agree. I still feel I view him through the high potential lense. I might need to adjust my view on him.  Just because he's Green's guy and has offensive upside doesn't mean he will be a member of this new core.  It might be a situation where neither Hutton or Pouliot make it. 

I look forward to seeing him get one last crack at the can. Let's hope his fitness concerns are corrected.  Otherwise he might not ever be a 5-7 D man. Hope Hutton steps up too.

Time to look at this guys more realistically. Its boom or bust on their upside timeline. Hope Green got through to them.

No reason to hit the panic button. The Canucks could've rushed Juolevi into the lineup, just like Sergachev, but he probably would've struggled a bit and the Canucks are in the process of developing their prospects properly. There's no rush, because the Canucks are not competitive yet. Juolevi was ranked and drafted high for a reason, he's a very reliable, smart player who does everything well. Canucks will need him when they're ready to compete again.

I think they'll draft a few D, but not necessarily with the #7. There are some good D prospects in the system now: Chatfield, Brisebois, McEneny, Sautner, Rathbone, Gunnarsson, Brassard. Maybe one or two of these guys makes the team and has impact. I'm really torn on the #7 pick though, I know they need top notch D added to the prospects, but passing up on Wahlstrom or Tkachuk could be difficult.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

No reason to hit the panic button. The Canucks could've rushed Juolevi into the lineup, just like Sergachev, but he probably would've struggled a bit and the Canucks are in the process of developing their prospects properly. There's no rush, because the Canucks are not competitive yet. Juolevi was ranked and drafted high for a reason, he's a very reliable, smart player who does everything well. Canucks will need him when they're ready to compete again.

I think they'll draft a few D, but not necessarily with the #7. There are some good D prospects in the system now: Chatfield, Brisebois, McEneny, Sautner, Rathbone, Gunnarsson, Brassard. Maybe one or two of these guys makes the team and has impact. I'm really torn on the #7 pick though, I know they need top notch D added to the prospects, but passing up on Wahlstrom or Tkachuk could be difficult.

We have a lot of depth when it comes to decent defensive prospects, but we need one or two elites. Juolevi is no sure thing when it comes to being a top pairing guy and the only other guy we have with top pairing upside is Tryamkin and who knows whats happening with him.

One of Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson or Boqvist would really help solidify our future top 4.

8 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

We have a lot of depth when it comes to decent defensive prospects, but we need one or two elites. Juolevi is no sure thing when it comes to being a top pairing guy and the only other guy we have with top pairing upside is Tryamkin and who knows whats happening with him.

One of Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson or Boqvist would really help solidify our future top 4.

Rathbone is going to be a star.  I think Boqvist falls to us at 7, and he's going to be a star (only if we pick him, of course) too.  That's two stars!!!!  Pettersson up front!!!

Hello Lord Stanley's Cup!!!!

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Rathbone is going to be a star.  I think Boqvist falls to us at 7, and he's going to be a star (only if we pick him, of course) too.  That's two stars!!!!  Pettersson up front!!!

Hello Lord Stanley's Cup!!!!

I like Rathbone but he really is a complete unknown until he plays in the NCAA.

I really like Brassard, 50P in the OHL is pretty good and one can see his skill to go with his size and decent skating.

Personal preference for me right now is Dobson as our RD or Hughes as our LD.

2 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

I like Rathbone but he really is a complete unknown until he plays in the NCAA.

I really like Brassard, 50P in the OHL is pretty good and one can see his skill to go with his size and decent skating.

Personal preference for me right now is Dobson as our RD or Hughes as our LD.

I have confidence that JB will get us the best guy from the whole draft.  We need great players to win the Cup, so I'm hoping!!!

5 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Evan Bouchard was interviewed yesterday morning on sn650 and had some high praise for OJ.  He said he's one of the best dmen he has ever played with. They played together in London for one year.  London also tends to spit out talent all the time, so if Bouchard is still available at that spot id be happy if we took him.

Plus we need a big French name on the blue line, haven't had one since Bourdon, RIP.

Image result for marc andre gragnani   Macr andre granai say;s hi

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

3 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Yes i think they will have a decent D man at #7 when there ready to draft...

I will be happy with one of these D men - Bouchard, Hughes or Dobson..

10 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Evan Bouchard was interviewed yesterday morning on sn650 and had some high praise for OJ.  He said he's one of the best dmen he has ever played with. They played together in London for one year.  London also tends to spit out talent all the time, so if Bouchard is still available at that spot id be happy if we took him.

Plus we need a big French name on the blue line, haven't had one since Bourdon, RIP.

Guilllaume Brisebois is coming.

• Cheers 1

On 5/15/2018 at 8:37 AM, 10pavelbure96 said:

Well before Bourdon's time but the weirdness in that statement as another former 1st round Canuck draft pick French Canadian almost at the same point in the draft - picked at #11 compared to Bourdon at #10) - Michel Petit  (heh, Michael Small in English :P ).

Yeah I know, it's spelled Petite [small] but that's why I failed French in High School...

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

23 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Well before Bourdon's time but the weirdness in that statement as another former 1st round Canuck draft pick French Canadian almost at the same point in the draft - picked at #11 compared to Bourdon at #10) - Michel Petit  (heh, Michael Small in English :P ).

Yeah I know, it's spelled Petite [small] but that's why I failed French in High School...

Nah, your spelling is fine. You probably failed French because you didn't know the difference between the masculine (petit) and feminine (petite). ;)

Good read from the Province today on OJ, even though its Botchford, its insight from Salo.

Will paste in here:

prospects. This series checks out the top-10 prospects in the team’s system who have yet to get a shot to be NHL regulars. At No. 2 is Olli Juolevi: 

Position: Defence

Hometown: Helsinki, Finland 

Height:  6-2

Weight:  182 pounds

Drafted: Round 1, No. 5 overall, 2016 NHL Entry Draft

Scoring: 7 goals, 12 assists in 38 games with TPS Turku in Finland’s top league

Olli Juolevi is close to making an impact with the Vancouver Canucks.

It may just not feel like it.

He has been one of the most polarizing top Canucks prospects in recent memory. Other defencemen in his draft class have already made it, and some in a big way. It has unfairly taken some of the shine off the 20-year-old who is still on track to being a top-pairing difference maker.

But one Finnish scout for an NHL team insisted “he won’t be a top player” in the world’s best league.

Former Vancouver Canucks defenceman Sami Salo sees it differently, however, and few have spent more time with the 20-year-old left-side blue-liner.

“I think he’s ready,” said Salo, who was an assistant with Juolevi’s Finnish team. “But this is what I said to him: ‘It’s another big jump to make an NHL team. There will be 10 other defencemen battling for those spots.’

“He has to go out there and show what he can do.”

The left side of the Canucks’ defence after Alex Edler isn’t exactly a Murderer’s Row. There’s Michael Del Zotto, Ben Hutton and Derrick Pouliot. It’s not crazy to think Juolevi can outplay these guys and earn a roster spot in the fall. To do it, though, Salo said Juolevi will need to focus on body language.

Wait, what?

“He has a tendency sometimes to look like he’s disinterested, even though he’s not,” Salo said. “Body language is very important in the NHL. You can’t have bad body language. He has to show he’s really into the games and wants to be out there.

“He got better this year as the season went on.”

That’s true for every part of his game. Juolevi saved the best part of the season for last. It was his play down the stretch and in the playoffs that left Salo so impressed.

“When the playoffs started, he was our best defenceman,” Salo said. “We lost (Henrik) Tallinder and it was good to see Olli carry the weight of Tallinder. He really picked up the Tallinder weight and was clearly our best defenceman.

“The only thing he didn’t really do was penalty kill. We had older guys in that role and it really worked out well for Olli. He focused on 5-on-5 play and the power play. He was a big part of our power play.”

Salo said Juolevi worked his way up to being the No. 1 point man on their power play.

“He doesn’t have the hardest shot, but he’s good at finding the open lane and getting the pucks through,” Salo said. “I was happy for him. He did have some struggles.”

Salo was referencing the stretch of games following the World Junior Championship. Juolevi skidded through a rough patch, which included multiple games when he was a healthy scratch for his Finnish club.

“It was good for him to get that adversity,” Salo said. “I think it gave him a push.

“It drove home the reality that this isn’t going to be easy in the pros. I think that’s what he had for most of his career. He had more skill and was a better skater coming up.”

Salo suggested Juolevi’s dip in play was in part because of the number of games he played for the country’s senior team in a couple of tournaments and his time with Turku.

“That’s why his physical conditioning has to get to another level this summer,” said Salo, stressing a point he has made when talking about Juolevi for a year now.

Does Juolevi understand what he needs to do in this area?

“He should,” Salo said. “I know his agent as well and we’ve been in contact and talked about this. To play 82 games in the NHL is tough. You have to be in tip-top shape because it’s so taxing.

“If you’re in average shape, or even what you would call good shape, it’s not going to be enough.”

Salo said Juolevi reminds him of Kimmo Timonen, a Finnish legend who played 16 years in the NHL.

“With the way he skates and sees the ice, I do see a little Timonen in him,” Salo said. “He’s in control in every situation, even if he’s under pressure. He’s just calm with the puck.

“He can compete with professionals. It wasn’t easy this year from the start. There was a lot of things he had to get used to.

“Once he focused on taking charge, it became a lot easier for him. He can make really good plays under pressure. He can make plays a lot of defencemen can’t make.”

• Upvote 3