The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

absolutely stoked for juolevi. wonder if there's a good chance he makes the Canucks out of camp? what does everyone else think? personally if he gains a few pounds and comes to camp at around 200 pounds he has a good chance to make the team. if he doesn't. hey. London isn't a poor alternative for the young man to continue his growth and development. 

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

absolutely stoked for juolevi. wonder if there's a good chance he makes the Canucks out of camp? what does everyone else think? personally if he gains a few pounds and comes to camp at around 200 pounds he has a good chance to make the team. if he doesn't. hey. London isn't a poor alternative for the young man to continue his growth and development. 

I say he makes opening day but is sent back before his 9 game.

2 hours ago, Gooseberries said:

I say he makes opening day but is sent back before his 9 game.

I would agree with this.  Gets his 9 games, then sent back.   If they really wanted to stretch it out, I could see sending him back after the WJCs.

I know I have mentioned this before over the years but ex-oiler, brother of Dale, Dave Hunter owns and operates the consulting firm I work for and I always ask him questions about hockey when I talk to him because he loves the game so much. 

I asked him what he thought of Olli Juolevi, and you gotta know Dave because he has a real funny way of expressing himself but I'll try to recreate it "ohhh LaBamba, he can really move the puck. He is a real good player, ohhhhh ya, he'll be reeellllll good LaBamba, but Dale and them said you shoulda took Tkachuck. Oh ya, LaBamba that Mathew kid ain't scared, he has a real big a$$ like his old man. And I said "but Dave, we have been looking for a PMD for like 40 years" he says "ya you know, those defensemen are real hard to find LaBamba. Look what we had to move for that Larson kid and he isn't even that good LaBamba. Ya, the Olli kid will be real good"

Then he went on about how Taylor Hall was a pouter but that's for a different thread. 

Edited by LaBamba

1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

NEWS 1130 SportsVerified account ‏@NEWS1130Sports  16m16 minutes ago

The agent for #Canucks 1st round draft pick Olli Juolevi says his client is getting lots of calls from European teams about next season.

Interesting.  Surely playing with and against experienced coaches and players would do good for his development but there are lots of risks to this I guess. 

4 minutes ago, Bang Bang Boogie said:

Isn't Juolevi also available to play in the AHL? I thought Benning mentioned that at the draft.  If so, it could be a good idea to have him develop with Travis Green for a year.

I don't believe he is. 

39 minutes ago, Bang Bang Boogie said:

Isn't Juolevi also available to play in the AHL? I thought Benning mentioned that at the draft.  If so, it could be a good idea to have him develop with Travis Green for a year.

Nope, been mentioned a few times now the initial report that he was on loan from Finland is incorrect. He can play in the NHL or junior only (or go back to Europe if he doesn't sign a deal with us yet).

I think developing in NA would actually be better. Because one London have a terrific program and many notable NHL'ers have thrived through London, two he'd benefit if he keeps playing on NA ice, three, we can keep track of the things Juolevi does as it's easier to track prospects in NA than it is to track prospects in Europe, fourth, with the departures of Marner, Dvorak, possibly Tkachuk, and many others in London, he's going to be trusted on all situations, and he's going to need to learn to become their go-to guy as Marner was.  

• Upvote 1

He reminds me of the Sedins.  Very smart, dedicated to his craft, and always trying to improve.  The Sedins will be great mentors for him.  I think he will be one of our future leaders one day.  Just a solid all around guy.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Vicky said:

Hypothetical: If he's not playing with the Knights, would we rather Nucks or Europe?

personally. I'd rather Juolevi be with the Canucks than in Europe. at least we can control his minute and be more in control of his development. if he goes to Europe. might be harder to control cause he will be under the development of other coaches that aren't with the Canucks.