The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

20 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Or maybe they taking it slow with him as he returns from back surgery.

Sounds like a boy, who has learned he can’t become a man (and have a man’s strength) until nature says it’s time.  To me that’s a kid who is super competitive, and he can hardly wait to physically mature, so he can be the best.  JB sure is collecting a young core of super competitive guys.  

I like Juiolevi even more now as a prospect, after reading this, than I did before.  And I liked him before too.  He’s going to be a very good player for us, once he matures.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sounds like a boy, who has learned he can’t become a man (and have a man’s strength) until nature says it’s time.  To me that’s a kid who is super competitive, and he can hardly wait to physically mature, so he can be the best.  JB sure is collecting a young core of super competitive guys.  

I like Juiolevi even more now as a prospect, after reading this, than I did before.  And I liked him before too.  He’s going to be a very good player for us, once he matures.  

I look forward to seeing him play in Utica.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Dungass said:

Management was counting on him to be power play quarterback of the future for the team.  That is something, almost no one believes anymore.  

That was never really his projection. He's not an OFD. 

If people believed that in the first place...that's on them, not OJ.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

I agree with you but keep in mind that is what people said about Pouliot in Pittsburgh... but time runs out eventually. Some picks just never quite make the jump to the NHL as everyone thought, others from later rounds surprise everyone with their growth and NHL careers.

I don't disagree. 

It's possible he never pans out like many prospects I have had high hopes for over the years.

But I refuse to join the bust train until hes at least 22 or 23.

With IQ supposed to be his best asset that should bode very well for him as opposed to an offensive d-man who makes questionable decisions.

I'm patiently waiting for Juolevi.

16 minutes ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

I don't disagree. 

It's possible he never pans out like many prospects I have had high hopes for over the years.

But I refuse to join the bust train until hes at least 22 or 23.

With IQ supposed to be his best asset that should bode very well for him as opposed to an offensive d-man who makes questionable decisions.

I'm patiently waiting for Juolevi.

I would say even 25 for Juolevi.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

I agree with you but keep in mind that is what people said about Pouliot in Pittsburgh... but time runs out eventually. Some picks just never quite make the jump to the NHL as everyone thought, others from later rounds surprise everyone with their growth and NHL careers.

Are you seriously saying time is running out for a 20 year old defenceman that set historic numbers in his Finnish league?

Also, Pouliot's game is nothing like Juolevi's - it's not even close. I'm not sure why you bring him up as a comparison to Juolevi, aside from their different ages.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Are you seriously saying time is running out for a 20 year old defenceman that set historic numbers in his Finnish league?

Also, Pouliot's game is nothing like Juolevi's - it's not even close. I'm not sure why you bring him up as a comparison to Juolevi, aside from their different ages.

I said nothing of the sort. And i'm not comparing the two as players at all, i'm comparing the two whose fans expect so much. Lmao!

14 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Yeah thats what i think  too. But theres been a lot of comments this week about his lack of progression, his draft spot in comparison to his draft year, etc. The only disconnect is his lack of playing time. I would have thought they would play him a lot this preseason but they arent. He's not an all star vet and isn't a lock for the main roster so I'm not sure ehats happening behind the scenes. We've seen Hutton, Pouliot, MDZ, Saunter, Biega a lot more which is strange. I would have thought they'd have Juolevi battling those guys for a spot instead of gifting it to him. 

They could be putting OJ thru a ‘program’ to bring up his conditioning.

If Green and Co is seeing what skill he has and knowing that he needs to catch up his conditioning.  Reasonable, due to the missed off season time.  Getting him into game shape has to Be a priority this off season if the team is going to improve its puck movement from the backend before the end of the season. 

Dude had back surgery, all things considered he's looked really good. Starting in Utica will not be bad and should not reflect poorly on his development. Kid will be a very good player for us one day. We are a garbage team. Dunno why some people are so impatient. 20 years old is NOT OLD BY ANY MEANS. He played pro hockey last year. Played in a men's league as a teenager and had a really good year. D-men can take some time to really find their game. Defense is the 2nd hardest position in the game. Give the kid some time. Damn.

• Cheers 1

Canucks D Depth

Edler

Tanev

Stecher

Gudbranson

Hutton

Del Zotto

Pouliot

Biega

Sautner

Juolevi

He still needs to develop. I expect Del Zotto to be traded at the TDL, and with the typical injuries that time of year, maybe Olli gets another chance down the stretch. Just looking forward to a Juolevi - Hughes pairing in a year or two.

• Like 1

we are not a garbage team,  yes he had back surgery but it was not life threatening just a common surgery. he did  rehab all summer . his first game alone proved he was better than some on the team.  why shove him in Utica when he could quite likely make the team . see this is exactly what some on here said about Boeser, put him in Utica  without even playing a game.  Boeser needed no time in Utica!

Edited by bree2
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, bree2 said:

we are not a garbage team,  yes he had back surgery but it was not life threatening just a common surgery. he did  rehab all summer . his first game alone proved he was better than some on the team.  why shove him in Utica when he could quite likely make the team . see this is exactly what some on here said about Boeser, put him in Utica  without even playing a game.  Boeser needed no time in Utica!

Boeser came in and blew everyone away with his ability. Juolevi hasn't (yet).

Just to add - Pettersson has impressed a lot with the few games he's had, so he will make the team, similar to Boeser.

My guess is, out of the prospects, Pettersson, Leipsic and Goldobin will all make the team out of camp. 

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, bree2 said:

Not a team full of garbage players, just a team not as good as 29/30 other NHL teams

15 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Boeser came in and blew everyone away with his ability. Juolevi hasn't (yet).

Just to add - Pettersson has impressed a lot with the few games he's had, so he will make the team, similar to Boeser.

My guess is, out of the prospects, Pettersson, Leipsic and Goldobin will all make the team out of camp. 

Prospects - Pettersson less than 5 NHL games

Leipisic - 6/7 year pro - 3rd pro contract next year 

Goldoblin -  5 year pro 

Roussel is just starting his 7th year, is he still a prospect?

• Upvote 1