The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

Pouliot and MDZ have been very subpar this season (so far). I think OJ could outperform both of them right now in our lineup (low bar) but it might be better for his development eating up heavy minutes on a comets team that in theory won't get shelled every game like the Canucks have thus far. I don't know if JB can find anyone to take either Pouliot or MDZ though but both Tanev and Edler have been great (relatively speaking) so maybe they get flipped for futures opening up the spot for OJ to come up

8 hours ago, naslundfan921 said:

Pouliot and MDZ have been very subpar this season (so far). I think OJ could outperform both of them right now in our lineup (low bar) but it might be better for his development eating up heavy minutes on a comets team that in theory won't get shelled every game like the Canucks have thus far. I don't know if JB can find anyone to take either Pouliot or MDZ though but both Tanev and Edler have been great (relatively speaking) so maybe they get flipped for futures opening up the spot for OJ to come up

Could you imagine Benning flipping Tanev and Edler at the deadline for picks and prospects! Our defence sure would hit an all time low but we could have 3 first round picks for the Vancouver draft!

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Could you imagine Benning flipping Tanev and Edler at the deadline for picks and prospects! Our defence sure would hit an all time low but we could have 3 first round picks for the Vancouver draft!

Assuming that Tanev and Edler can fetch first round picks. I think Edler can. Tanev I’m not sure. Lots of talk around the league seems to be that he can fetch a low first or a high second. But not a mid first round pick. 

11 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Assuming that Tanev and Edler can fetch first round picks. I think Edler can. Tanev I’m not sure. Lots of talk around the league seems to be that he can fetch a low first or a high second. But not a mid first round pick. 

We don't know how the stretch run will play out, so to say that Tanev could fetch a low first opposed to a mid first doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

12 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

We don't know how the stretch run will play out, so to say that Tanev could fetch a low first opposed to a mid first doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Depends on how the rest of the league views him right? If Tanev isn’t in the eyes of other GM’s worth a first round pick. Then they won’t give that up. Maybe two seconds? Would you deal Tanev for that? 

11 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

At the same time we need to move out some vets this year to have room for guys next year without having to waive a dozen players (I think we waived something like 8 this year).  

Realistically we have Juolevi, Hughes, Gaudette, Dahlen, maybe our 2019 first or maybe two or three more young guys ready for the NHL in the next 12 months.  Out with the old and in with the new is what I see continuing to happen  to this team.  

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Trading Edler or Tanev means that Pouliot and Hutton would have to up their game to make this option even possible. Juolevi would also need a strong showing in Utica and maybe a couple stints with the big club where he holds his own. It would also help if we fot Tryamkin over here. 

If we run a D next year consisting of

Gudbranson

Hughes

Tryamkin

Juolevi

Hutton

Pouliot 

I think we get blown out almost every game. Our pk will suffer as will our shot blocking. No high minute dman and it will have to be defense by committee. But there's a lot of potential there for sure. Its too bad Tryamkin left. If he had stayed, we might have a better idea of what kind of player to expect. A Tanev Edler hybrid would have been ideal

57 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Trading Edler or Tanev means that Pouliot and Hutton would have to up their game to make this option even possible. Juolevi would also need a strong showing in Utica and maybe a couple stints with the big club where he holds his own. It would also help if we fot Tryamkin over here. 

If we run a D next year consisting of

Gudbranson

Hughes

Tryamkin

Juolevi

Hutton

Pouliot 

I think we get blown out almost every game. Our pk will suffer as will our shot blocking. No high minute dman and it will have to be defense by committee. But there's a lot of potential there for sure. Its too bad Tryamkin left. If he had stayed, we might have a better idea of what kind of player to expect. A Tanev Edler hybrid would have been ideal

I didn’t say hey should. However a trade and sign Edler through free agency would be a very savvy rebuild move! There’s also other free agent options that would be smarter than going into next season with that d corps.

57 minutes ago, Dungass said:

Yikes, Olli is -7 after 4 games.  That said, I've been suitably impressed in the periods I've seen him play.  He hasn't been flashy by any means, but does make great outlet passes. 

Ya Olli is such a funny one to get a read on.

On one hand he's making great reads and intercepting passes and breaking up plays. 

On the other hand he seems to be on the ice quite a bit for quality chances against and it's showing with his -7.

So hard to judge how he's going to fair in the NHL. He does so many good things but also just seems to look slow out there often. Kinda reminds me of Edler out there, unfortunately closer to old Edler rather than young Edler

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

A lot of the potential trade value at the deadline will depend a lot on contending team injuries.  If a strongly contending gets a key injury on the back end it could really enhance the value of an Edler or Tanev - still, it would be a low first, at best.  If the contending team is nearing the end of its cup winnng window, it might be a thought to take a first round pick two or three years out.  Teams of the past have done such stuff and wound up with very high picks when a one time contender goes beyond its best before date.  Just think how rapidly the Canucks declined after the final against Boston - two years later we missed the playoffs and were the tenth worst team.  Any manager worth his salt would have noted all of the Canuck injuries in their drive to the cup: Kesler back and shoulder, Edler back and broken hand, Hamhuis back injury, Raymond back injury, and the pounding the Sedins took - they weren’t the same after and he would have noted that the Canucks were an aging team with a neglected development system.  Just an example, but some GMs note such things and take advantage.  If you already have a pretty full prospect depth, as Vancouver does, it might not hurt to play that game and become one of those teams that picks up high firsts from collapsing teams.  Easier said than done, but it is done.

On 2018-10-13 at 10:34 AM, flickyoursedin said:

I'd draft all defensemen with those 3 picks and pray one becomes the Charlie McAvoy steal of the draft. That's all we need to focus on moving forward IMO. Defense, defense, defense. Assuming Juolevi and Hughes become top 4 defensemen, Woo might be a 4/5 type. We still need 2 more top 4 defensemen. I know we have a couple other defensive prospects in the pipeline but we need at least 1 more high impact defenseman.

Mind you, if Tryamkin comes back we're laughing.

Edited by VIC_CITY

57 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I'd draft all defensemen with those 3 picks and pray one becomes the Charlie McAvoy steal of the draft. That's all we need to focus on moving forward IMO. Defense, defense, defense. Assuming Juolevi and Hughes become top 4 defensemen, Woo might be a 4/5 type. We still need 2 more top 4 defensemen. I know we have a couple other defensive prospects in the pipeline but we need at least 1 more high impact defenseman.

Mind you, if Tryamkin comes back we're laughing.

I don't agree. We still lack an Owen Nolan type of center (Getzlaf or Iginla type)

Recent events have taught us this kind of acquisition is a must now.

18 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I don't agree. We still lack an Owen Nolan type of center (Getzlaf or Iginla type)

Recent events have taught us this kind of acquisition is a must now.

Pettersson

Horvat

Gaudette

That could be an elite top 3 C group in 2-3 years.

Owen Nolan was a RW.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Pettersson

Horvat

Gaudette

That could be an elite top 3 C group in 2-3 years.

Owen Nolan was a RW.

One would hope that a Jake Virtanen or Jonah Gadjovich becomes that physical, goal scoring presence in our Top 6/Top 9 forward group.

I agree with you though, that we should use our picks on defensemen. Hughes and Juolevi look to form our Top 4 defense group on he left side. Are Stecher and Gudbranson in management's long-term plans, and if they are, are they Top 4 guys or are they more of a #4/#5 defenseman? Is Woo in that same grouping as well? I personally thought Gudbranson would be an immediate Top 4 defenseman for us but his injuries have held him back; He certainly hasn't showed us all that he was in Florida. 

A hypothetical future/potential depth chart for defense looks like:

Hughes - ________

Juolevi - ________

3LD - 3RD

With 3LD being Hutton, Pouliot, Brisebois, Rathbone, Utunen.

And 3RD being Gudbranson, Stecher, Chatfield, Woo.

If Tryamkin comes back, with his versatility he'll likely play 1RD or 2RD alongside Hughes or Juolevi. We'd still need another Top 4 RD via draft, free agency, or trade, and it's a heck of a lot easier to acquire a Top 4 RD through the draft.

Does either one of Byram or Broberg play both sides? Honka is right-handed..

1 hour ago, Blömqvist said:

One would hope that a Jake Virtanen or Jonah Gadjovich becomes that physical, goal scoring presence in our Top 6/Top 9 forward group.

I agree with you though, that we should use our picks on defensemen. Hughes and Juolevi look to form our Top 4 defense group on he left side. Are Stecher and Gudbranson in management's long-term plans, and if they are, are they Top 4 guys or are they more of a #4/#5 defenseman? Is Woo in that same grouping as well? I personally thought Gudbranson would be an immediate Top 4 defenseman for us but his injuries have held him back; He certainly hasn't showed us all that he was in Florida. 

A hypothetical future/potential depth chart for defense looks like:

Hughes - ________

Juolevi - ________

3LD - 3RD

With 3LD being Hutton, Pouliot, Brisebois, Rathbone, Utunen.

And 3RD being Gudbranson, Stecher, Chatfield, Woo.

If Tryamkin comes back, with his versatility he'll likely play 1RD or 2RD alongside Hughes or Juolevi. We'd still need another Top 4 RD via draft, free agency, or trade, and it's a heck of a lot easier to acquire a Top 4 RD through the draft.

Does either one of Byram or Broberg play both sides? Honka is right-handed..

Id say Stecher will be here long term with us as a top 6 guy but probably a top 4.

Need another top RD prospect though. Someone that has good offensive ability but also good defensively. Good trade candidates to acquire a RD would be Chicago (Jokiharju, Rutta, Mitchell), Nashville (Fabbro), Tampa (Cal Foote, Jake Dotchin), Toronto (Liljegren, Durzi), Washington (Bowey).

I think theres a good chance Benning try's to make a trade with Chicago. They've had interest in some of our players in the recent past and they want to be competitive this year.

Perhaps Edler+Nilsson for Jokiharju+3rd

Hughes-Woo

Juolevi-Jokiharju

Brisebois-Stecher

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Id say Stecher will be here long term with us as a top 6 guy but probably a top 4.

Need another top RD prospect though. Someone that has good offensive ability but also good defensively. Good trade candidates to acquire a RD would be Chicago (Jokiharju, Rutta, Mitchell), Nashville (Fabbro), Tampa (Cal Foote, Jake Dotchin), Toronto (Liljegren, Durzi), Washington (Bowey).

I think theres a good chance Benning try's to make a trade with Chicago. They've had interest in some of our players in the recent past and they want to be competitive this year.

Hughes-Woo

Juolevi-Jokiharju

Brisebois-Stecher

Before the season started maybe Chicago would let go of Henri Jokiharju for an experienced Top 4 defenseman, but after he start that he's had it will be hard trying to take Jokiharju off their hands. The kid has 5 points in 5 games played and is playing 20+ minutes a night for them. Granted, those are with heavy offensive zone starts but 20+ minutes nonetheless. 

If we could get Jokiharju that would be great as he did form Finland's best defensive pairing alongside our very own  Olli Juolevi at the most recent World Junior Championships, outplaying the likes of Miro Heiskanen and Juuso Valimaki.

I like the idea; Chicago, Tampa Bay, Nashville, Washington, Toronto are all playoff teams with some solid defense prospects that they could be willing to let go of come trade deadline.

5 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Hughes-Woo

Juolevi-Jokiharju

Brisebois-Stecher

Would take alot more than a rental and solid backup goalie to pry a future top pairing D away from Chicago. 

• Upvote 1