The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

7 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

One would hope that a Jake Virtanen or Jonah Gadjovich becomes that physical, goal scoring presence in our Top 6/Top 9 forward group.

I agree with you though, that we should use our picks on defensemen. Hughes and Juolevi look to form our Top 4 defense group on he left side. Are Stecher and Gudbranson in management's long-term plans, and if they are, are they Top 4 guys or are they more of a #4/#5 defenseman? Is Woo in that same grouping as well? I personally thought Gudbranson would be an immediate Top 4 defenseman for us but his injuries have held him back; He certainly hasn't showed us all that he was in Florida. 

A hypothetical future/potential depth chart for defense looks like:

Hughes - ________

Juolevi - ________

3LD - 3RD

With 3LD being Hutton, Pouliot, Brisebois, Rathbone, Utunen.

And 3RD being Gudbranson, Stecher, Chatfield, Woo.

If Tryamkin comes back, with his versatility he'll likely play 1RD or 2RD alongside Hughes or Juolevi. We'd still need another Top 4 RD via draft, free agency, or trade, and it's a heck of a lot easier to acquire a Top 4 RD through the draft.

Does either one of Byram or Broberg play both sides? Honka is right-handed..

Just for kicks I would love to see Trymakin and Hughes on the same pairing. 

Hughes Trymakin

OJ and Woo 

and Edler with Guddy/Stecher. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Id say Stecher will be here long term with us as a top 6 guy but probably a top 4.

Need another top RD prospect though. Someone that has good offensive ability but also good defensively. Good trade candidates to acquire a RD would be Chicago (Jokiharju, Rutta, Mitchell), Nashville (Fabbro), Tampa (Cal Foote, Jake Dotchin), Toronto (Liljegren, Durzi), Washington (Bowey).

I think theres a good chance Benning try's to make a trade with Chicago. They've had interest in some of our players in the recent past and they want to be competitive this year.

Perhaps Edler+Nilsson for Jokiharju+3rd

Hughes-Woo

Juolevi-Jokiharju

Brisebois-Stecher

Brisebois is 100% not an NHL player. Like Jokiharju idea though.

8 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Id say Stecher will be here long term with us as a top 6 guy but probably a top 4.

Need another top RD prospect though. Someone that has good offensive ability but also good defensively. Good trade candidates to acquire a RD would be Chicago (Jokiharju, Rutta, Mitchell), Nashville (Fabbro), Tampa (Cal Foote, Jake Dotchin), Toronto (Liljegren, Durzi), Washington (Bowey).

I think theres a good chance Benning try's to make a trade with Chicago. They've had interest in some of our players in the recent past and they want to be competitive this year.

Hughes-Woo

Juolevi-Jokiharju

Brisebois-Stecher

"I think therefore I am"

"The Hawks won't be trading Jokiharju"

- Descartes

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, danny.canuck said:

Brisebois is 100% not an NHL player. Like Jokiharju idea though.

Really? He's trending well. Do you mean Brisebois is not a bottom paring now? Or ever? I'm betting he's at least a bottom six in the future. He looked great this fall. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Hughes-Woo

Juolevi-Jokiharju

Brisebois-Stecher

Jokiharju is a stud. You won't get him with Edler and Nilsson. You will have to start a trade with one of our big 3 - EP, Boeser or Horvat which none I would want to part-ways with.

• Upvote 1

Chatfield has looked really good with Ollie so far this season -  been Utuca's #1 pairing

(Except OJ is -7 and Jalen -3 after 5 games, but in Ollie's case it is the 4 shorties that contribute to his dismal number)

Edited by Googlie

8 hours ago, rekker said:

Really? He's trending well. Do you mean Brisebois is not a bottom paring now? Or ever? I'm betting he's at least a bottom six in the future. He looked great this fall. 

He'll get called up. He'll never be an NHL regular. Ever. Take it to the bank. Trade him to the Habs for a third rounder while you can.

• Haha 1

both hughes and broberg can play both sides and would make a solid first pairing. juolevi and woo on the second pairing and whoever is left to round out the defense.

both broberg and woo are physical d-men who can skate well and have some offensive ability. 

7 hours ago, Googlie said:

Chatfield has looked really good with Ollie so far this season -  been Utuca's #1 pairing

(Except OJ is -7 and Jalen -3 after 5 games, but in Ollie's case it is the 4 shorties that contribute to his dismal number)

PP goals for and against don't count towards plus/minus.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, danny.canuck said:

He'll get called up. He'll never be an NHL regular. Ever. Take it to the bank. Trade him to the Habs for a third rounder while you can.

What a foolish thing to say. Do you have any information that indicates this, or are you just saying it because he is a Canuck property?

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

What a foolish thing to say. Do you have any information that indicates this, or are you just saying it because he is a Canuck property?

I'm saying it based on many viewings. It is my opinion that he doesn't have the talent or the smarts to make the show. Best case scenario is he puts up some points in the A and we flip him to a team desperate to believe in any player born in La Belle Province. Renaud Lavoie is doing our cheerleading so this should be an easy trade for Jimbo:

.@renlavoietva: I’ve seen Guillaume Brisebois play twice, the reports are great & I was so impressed. Don’t need to rush him – if he doesn’t start the season with Canucks, I think he’ll finish it there. Give him some time & the fans will enjoy his play.

He’s got 2 assists in 5 games so far. I can’t say too much about his game since that I find it tough to be able to watch Comet games without paying for an AHL annual subscription. So far it looks like he’s doing well aside from the -7 rating, that stat is misleading and should come down as the season progresses.

54 minutes ago, danny.canuck said:

I'm saying it based on many viewings. It is my opinion that he doesn't have the talent or the smarts to make the show. Best case scenario is he puts up some points in the A and we flip him to a team desperate to believe in any player born in La Belle Province. Renaud Lavoie is doing our cheerleading so this should be an easy trade for Jimbo:

.@renlavoietva: I’ve seen Guillaume Brisebois play twice, the reports are great & I was so impressed. Don’t need to rush him – if he doesn’t start the season with Canucks, I think he’ll finish it there. Give him some time & the fans will enjoy his play.

Absolutely.  Trade Brisebois to the Habs, but for what return?