The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

On 12/4/2018 at 10:57 AM, krutovsdonut said:

hopefully nicely, but this type of offence talk talk does worry me with juolevi.  you see ryan johnson talking about him as an offensive / power play guy but that's a recent spin.  he was drafted as a top pair 2 way guy with transition skills not as a pp guy.  i do have a sneaking suspicion this may be part of the canucks trying to pump his tires up to move him in a trade.  that would explain the top pp minutes he was handed in utica.  

Interesting theory... 

The year OJ was drafted, I was very excited.  With the other picks available at 5, it was a toss up between Sergachev and OJ... I thought OJ could have the higher ceiling... We will eventually see.  As it stands now MT looks like the best pick... 

If we do trade him, it better be for another defencemen.  I hope we keep him though... Maybe he was drafted to high but I still think he can turn into #2 or #3 defencemen for us.

9 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Have to wonder what they said about Pettersson throughout his brilliant D+1 season, or Hughes now.  Imagine they were relatively silent, aside from snide quips about his weight.

"That's a small body there gentlemen, a small body."  Burke auditioning for Fat Bastard in Austin Powers 2.0

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Rodishred said:

Interesting theory... 

The year OJ was drafted, I was very excited.  With the other picks available at 5, it was a toss up between Sergachev and OJ... I thought OJ could have the higher ceiling... We will eventually see.  As it stands now MT looks like the best pick... 

If we do trade him, it better be for another defencemen.  I hope we keep him though... Maybe he was drafted to high but I still think he can turn into #2 or #3 defencemen for us.

pretty much my viewpoint. 

10 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Have to wonder what they said about Pettersson throughout his brilliant D+1 season, or Hughes now.  Imagine they were relatively silent, aside from snide quips about his weight.

nope.  the hfboard guys are positive about ep and hughes and boeser and horvat too.  there were some bets carefully hedged at the draft and there was some initial negativity about ep but in the face of his excellence that narrative dramatically caved half way through his d+1 season when a mod called out and shamed a tone deaf regular who was being relentlessly negative on ep.  the way it works over there is that if a guy is clearly an elite top 6 player or top pair dman they love him like any fan.  but everyone else is terrible, overpaid, we gave up too much for, or we should have taken x instead, or all of the above, and all that is an excuse to argue current management is incompetent.  there is an exception for gillis holdovers.  since trashing them does not  "prove" benning is incompetent they get a fair shake.  even now some posters over there love gaunce and make outlandish claims about his stats and potential, which, of course, is used to argue benning is incompetent for not seeing that.

recently juolevi was getting a ton of heat because virtanen is making good.  they have whipped jake to death for 3 years and when ep and boeser made good they had to focus on "missed" high draft picks to explain why benning sucks because he failed to hit on "all his picks" as the jets have supposedly done.  so this summer was an orgy of virtanen second guessing and now they are down to bashing jueolvi.  it's an article of faith over there that juolevi must fail and every time virtanen scores they have to double down on juoelvi.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, krutovsdonut said:

nope.  the hfboard guys are positive about ep and hughes and boeser and horvat too.  there were some bets carefully hedged at the draft and there was some initial negativity about ep but in the face of his excellence that narrative dramatically caved half way through his d+1 season when a mod called out and shamed a tone deaf regular who was being relentlessly negative on ep.  the way it works over there is that if a guy is clearly an elite top 6 player or top pair dman they love him like any fan.  but everyone else is terrible, overpaid, we gave up too much for, or we should have taken x instead, or all of the above, and all that is an excuse to argue current management is incompetent.  there is an exception for gillis holdovers.  since trashing them does not  "prove" benning is incompetent they get a fair shake.  even now some posters over there love gaunce and make outlandish claims about his stats and potential, which, of course, is used to argue benning is incompetent for not seeing that.

recently juolevi was getting a ton of heat because virtanen is making good.  they have whipped jake to death for 3 years and when ep and boeser made good they had to focus on "missed" high draft picks to explain why benning sucks because he failed to hit on "all his picks" as the jets have supposedly done.  so this summer was an orgy of virtanen second guessing and now they are down to bashing jueolvi.  it's an article of faith over there that juolevi must fail and every time virtanen scores they have to double down on juoelvi.

Canuck hfboard posters are 99% idiots.

They still continue to crap on the Virtanen pick. I was just in that thread reading it just now.  They are a bunch of idiots that think they know more than they do.  Some of them have tens of thousands of posts and almost all of it is crap.  Even some of the posters that used to post useful stuff got sucked into the sewer mindset that is hfcanucks.

Those arse clowns think they are smarter then life long hockey men that get paid to work in the business. Bunch of disgusting idiots imo.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I think he's stating that's what happened in OJs D+2 season.

Yeah but what determines a player having the 2nd best rookie season in liiga history?    He’s passing that off as a fact.  People love to throw out these bogus claims in order to make prospects appear like the next great thing. But as someone who follows and has connections in that league. I’m curious to find out where this claim is coming from. 

58 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Canuck hfboard posters are 99% idiots.

They still continue to crap on the Virtanen pick. I was just in that thread reading it just now.  They are a bunch of idiots that think they know more than they do.  Some of them have tens of thousands of posts and almost all of it is crap.  Even some of the posters that used to post useful stuff got sucked into the sewer mindset that is hfcanucks.

Those arse clowns think they are smarter then life long hockey men that get paid to work in the business. Bunch of disgusting idiots imo.

I think the biggest issue with HFBoards Canucks is a pack of very active users who are extremely anti-regime and they tend to dominate the board. And to make matters worse, the mods over there seem to be part of that clique. There are plenty of users with reasonable opinions, but they tend to get shouted down, and the mods just let it happen.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think the biggest issue with HFBoards Canucks is a pack of very active users who are extremely anti-regime and they tend to dominate the board. And to make matters worse, the mods over there seem to be part of that clique. There are plenty of users with reasonable opinions, but they tend to get shouted down, and the mods just let it happen.

So basically a sanctioned sh*t-show!

Nasty lil' agendas, hard at work.

A buddy texted me yesterday saying he was chatting with Dale Hunter at a big ohl prospect showcase - so I asked him to get Hunter’s take on Juolevi.

He said he’ll be an NHL player but maybe only ever be a 5/6.

That was disappointing to say the least. I still believe he’ll easy become at least a 3/4, cause I obviously know more than Hunter.

• Haha 3

On 12/8/2018 at 9:43 AM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

That’s quite the bold statement. Care to share what you’re basing that off of. 

There was a report saying Hieskenan was the highest scoring Finnish rookie ever...and Joulevi was just behind him in points in the same year and would have been the highest if not for Hieskenan...

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

There was a report saying Hieskenan was the highest scoring Finnish rookie ever...and Joulevi was just behind him in points in the same year and would have been the highest if not for Hieskenan...

I went through every Finnish defenseman drafted beyond 1990 and looked at both their Finnish stats and OHL stats to find comps. Based on Juolevi's numbers he actually projects to be around a 40 point dman. Not bad at all, certainly not worthy of the criticism. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, nzan said:

A buddy texted me yesterday saying he was chatting with Dale Hunter at a big ohl prospect showcase - so I asked him to get Hunter’s take on Juolevi.

That was disappointing to say the least. I still believe he’ll easy become at least a 3/4, cause I obviously know more than Hunter.

You're posting unsubstantiated second hand rumors .My buddy said this or that is a crap source .

Your info is useless and unconfirmed take your gossip mongering else where buddy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/8/2018 at 9:52 AM, krutovsdonut said:

This sums up HFBoards perfectly. The Canucks section of that site has gone to the sewer and the MODs basically allow people to be insulted and chastised for their positive opinions. Funny enough, I find there to be much more varied perspectives on this website.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

See here's the thing with this board.  One person can say something completely and utterly false but it sounds good to others, so they just assume it's true and then that false claim spreads like wildfire, till it people start to assume it's fact.

First off Hieskenan was not the highest scoring Finnish Rookie, nor was he the highest scoring Finnish Rookie D.  Hieskenan's rookie year was played when he was 17 in which he only put up 10 points in 37 games. Technically Reijo Ruotsalainen has the highest scoring pace Rookie D year which was in 1977-78, in which he put up 23 points in 30 games (.77p/pg) the year his team got promoted to liiga. He did that at 17 years old.  He also followed that up with a solid NHL career.   Sami Vatanen has highest total scoring record in his rookie year, where Vatanen put up 30 points in 55 games.  What Hieskenan did was win the Pekka Rautakallio Award which is given to the best defenceman in Liiga. Heiskanen doing this made him the youngest ever winner of the award, beating Sami Vatanen by 11 months.

Second, what people are making this claim off was by misconstruing the statement that midway through the year, Juolevi and Hieskenan "were" on "pace" to put up the highest p/pg by defence under 20 years of age.  They didn't maintain that pace, where Juolevi only ended up with 19 points in 38 games (.5p/pg) which puts him at 15th best p/pg season by a U20 D, tied with the same production as Villie Pokka who put up 27 points in 54 games (.5p/gp), in his 19 year old season. It's still impressive and very good signs of progression but nothing earth shattering and nothing that would support the claim that he was the "2nd best rookie defenseman in Ligia history".

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat
  • Upvote 4

5 hours ago, nzan said:

I truly doubt your friends story. I don't think Dale Hunter makes a habit of running down alumni of his organization.  

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Old school nuck said:

You're posting unsubstantiated second hand rumors .My buddy said this or that is a crap source .

Your info is useless and unconfirmed take your gossip mongering else where buddy. 

Not sure you actually know the definitions of any of the big words you used, this wasn’t gossip, a rumour, unsubstantiated or unconfirmed.

I said a thing I heard - it happened to be said by a good hockey mind who was having a discussion with a true hockey mind. If you don’t want to hear it, fine. Turn your ears elsewhere buddy.

• Upvote 1