The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

16 minutes ago, CupIsComing said:

Not a bust, but certainly a bad pick at #5. This injury will exasperate his lack of value further. I get why fans lament his development given what was available when he was drafted. For most I think it isn't about not liking Juolevi, it's about disliking the pick and knowing what we could have had. Certainly not the kids fault he got drafted where he did, nor that he is injured again.

All those that justify this pick with the mantra "defensemen take longer to develop" are conveniently forgetting that there were at least three other defensemen taken after Juolevi (within next 11 picks) in the same draft class who will have played at least 200 NHL games before Juolevi even gets a sniff. What rebuilding team can afford to leave 200+ player-games on the table?

He may be a good NHL player one day...maybe even very good...but his body of work will never catch up to Sergachev's, MacAvoy's, or Chychrun's by that time.

I wish him well, but I am not expecting anything from him. If I am wrong than it will be a bonus! :)

LOL, you know that none of those mentioned will ever have an injury or hit a development wall?   You know what the next decade looks like?   Try to remember one thing if you can, it is a marathon and not a race.    

Cool.  

PS - McAvoy was just out for two months with post-concussion issues and given it was that long, may be one of those guys very susceptible....who knows, and never wish this on anyone, but next hit and he could be done for a long, long while.   Sergachev hasn't been injured but he has yet to score this year and has only seen three of 34 games above 20 mins this year as he is not getting as many plum minutes as his play hasn't earned them.   

PS #2 - every team and every player has different development needs/pace.   If OJ had been with Tampa Bay he may well have more games than anyone in his draft class by now.    Pure speculation and that is why some of the comparisons you are making are irrelevant.   

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

LOL, you know that none of those mentioned will ever have an injury or hit a development wall?   You know what the next decade looks like?   Try to remember one thing if you can, it is a marathon and not a race.    

Cool.  

PS - McAvoy was just out for two months with post-concussion issues and given it was that long, may be one of those guys very susceptible....who knows, and never wish this on anyone, but next hit and he could be done for a long, long while.   Sergachev hasn't been injured but he has yet to score this year and has only seen three of 34 games above 20 mins this year as he is not getting as many plum minutes as his play hasn't earned them.   

PS #2 - every team and every player has different development needs/pace.   If OJ had been with Tampa Bay he may well have more games than anyone in his draft class by now.    Pure speculation and that is why some of the comparisons you are making are irrelevant.   

The bolded part is sophistry and deliberately misleading. The reason Sergachev hasn't played more than 20 min most of the year has nothing to do with his play itself. I've watched several Tampa games and yes, he gets 3LD minutes but he is as good as anyone not named Edler on our left side. The reason he doesn't get more than 3LD minutes, is because he plays behind Hedman and McDonagh. If those two were in our team, even Edler would be seeing 3LD minutes of under 20min a game. 

Its pretty unquestionable right now, that Sergachev is a far, far better defenseman than Juolevi and the advantage is with Sergachev. It is a marathon and Juolevi has a chance to eke out ahead eventually, but currently, Segachev is miles and miles better than Juolevi. 

If OJ couldn't make the team in Vancouver, it makes no logical sense to say he could've made the team in a far BETTER defensive team than Vancouver.  Out there, there really is ony 1 spot for a left-defenseman to compete for, since McDonagh and Hedman are auto-locks- they would be in practically ANY team. 

Here, only Edler is a lock on the left side, leaving TWO spots that are far easier for a rook to break into. Unless you wish to argue that Hutton and Del Zotto are on the same planet as McDonagh.  Yet OJ couldn't break in, while MS did. If anything, the case for Sergachev to be a more developed player if he was in Vancouver is far easier to make, precisely due to this reason. 

Edited by canuckistani
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, canuckistani said:

The bolded part is sophistry and deliberately misleading. The reason Sergachev hasn't played more than 20 min most of the year has nothing to do with his play itself. I've watched several Tampa games and yes, he gets 3LD minutes but he is as good as anyone not named Edler on our left side. The reason he doesn't get more than 3LD minutes, is because he plays behind Hedman and McDonagh. If those two were in our team, even Edler would be seeing 3LD minutes of under 20min a game. 

Its pretty unquestionable right now, that Sergachev is a far, far better defenseman than Juolevi and the advantage is with Sergachev. It is a marathon and Juolevi has a chance to eke out ahead eventually, but currently, Segachev is miles and miles better than Juolevi. 

If OJ couldn't make the team in Vancouver, it makes no logical sense to say he could've made the team in a far BETTER defensive team than Vancouver.  Out there, there really is ony 1 spot for a left-defenseman to compete for, since McDonagh and Hedman are auto-locks- they would be in practically ANY team. 

Here, only Edler is a lock on the left side, leaving TWO spots that are far easier for a rook to break into. Unless you wish to argue that Hutton and Del Zotto are on the same planet as McDonagh.  Yet OJ couldn't break in, while MS did. If anything, the case for Sergachev to be a more developed player if he was in Vancouver is far easier to make, precisely due to this reason. 

Give it time my friend. Sergachev is a turn over machine. Very skilled, but let's let this play out. Everybody was writing off Virtanen last year and he has been a pleasant surprise this year. He looks like he has more potential to be a very useful player. 

I still think Juolevi will have a very good career when all is said and done. Better than Tkachuk, probably not. Better than Serg, Maybe? Only time will tell. 

Hard not to imagine our core with M.Tkachuk. 

Horvat 

Petey

Boeser 

Tkachuk

Hughes 

Demko/Dipietro

This year's 1st

Virtanen? Gaudette?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, KKnight said:

Give it time my friend. Sergachev is a turn over machine. Very skilled, but let's let this play out. Everybody was writing off Virtanen last year and he has been a pleasant surprise this year. He looks like he has more potential to be a very useful player. 

I still think Juolevi will have a very good career when all is said and done. Better than Tkachuk, probably not. Better than Serg, Maybe? Only time will tell. 

Hard not to imagine our core with M.Tkachuk. 

Horvat 

Petey

Boeser 

Tkachuk

Hughes 

Demko/Dipietro

This year's 1st

Virtanen? Gaudette?

Sure would look good. I was sad when it happened because I felt like Tkachuk was the BPA and felt by drafting for position we took lesser talent. I still do have faith in Juolevi that he can be a good two way top 4 dman. Hope he gets healthy and works his tail off this summer to show all the doubters!

Sucks he got hurt. 

He was a bad top pick. Sorry if that offends you.

Had we not taken him nobody here not would be saying we missed out. Pretty simple. Win some lose  we lost with this one. 

Best player available he was not. 

Edited by combover
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Anton Rodin v2.0. Sucks for us but it happens. 

Thank goodness we got a redo by drafting  Quinn Hughes. 

I certainly hope it's not Anton Rodin v2.0, that guy hard horrible luck. It seemed like everytime he was poised to take the next step he got a freak injury.

• Upvote 1

That's two major knee surgeries and a back surgery. It doesn't matter who that happens to, that's very likely going to affect his play for the rest of his career.

I still think Juolevi has the potential to be a valuable player in a Hjalmarsson type role, but it looks like it's going to take longer and longer to reach that, if at all. Really unfortunate and the Canucks should seriously looking at drafting another defenseman in the 1st round either this year or next year to compensate. 

6 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Cool.  

You probably don’t have to explain this every time. Did you really expect a different reaction when the news came out... these peoples opinions have been set in stone long before these injuries 

7 hours ago, canuckistani said:

I'm questioning your ability to assess Sergachev's play here. After meandering through the Tampa Bay HF subforum it seems to be a general consensus that Sergachev has been extremely lacklustre on defense, so much so that fans are calling for him to be scratched.

He has fantastic raw offensive tools but he is still prone to many questionable decisions with the puck like we saw on that goal tonight. 

• Upvote 3