The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The whole we should have picked Tkachuk over Juolevi is a mute point.  Tkachuk is an RFA this year, he will command a salary higher than Brock Boeser, who is also an RFA this year.  Would the Canucks have been able to sign both of them this summer to contracts in excess of $8 million each?  I doubt it.  Granlund, Leivo and Hutton are also RFA's who will command raises, Leivo probably a big one as he is only at $925k...

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

Take a peek at the cap space we have for next year. You might notice it says 31.1m

The Vancouver sun. 

That said, Juolevi is the only player from his draft class’s first 16 picks who has yet to appear in an NHL game. Was the slow burn on him required
 it remains noteworthy that three defencemen — Tampa Bay’s Mikhail Sergachev (118 games), Boston’s Charlie McAvoy (77 games) and Arizona’s Jacob Chychrun (133 games) — have all played regular roles for their respective teams. (A fourth, Jake Bean of Carolina, has played two games.)

And no, don’t compare Juolevi to the two players selected after him, forwards Matthew Tkachuk (Calgary) and Clayton Keller (Arizona), who are both making a strong impact on their teams

didn't like this pick then like it even less today. Hope he can turn into something at some point for this team last thing we need is another pooalot. 

1 minute ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

Take a peek at the cap space we have for next year. You might notice it says 31.1m

Yes I did look at that.  That only includes 13 players.  Boeser & Tkachuk alone would eat up another $16-18 million.  So that's 15 players.  Then you have like I mentioned Hutton, Leivo and Granlund as RFA's and Edler as a UFA.  That would take you to the cap right there.  Don't think you can field a team with only 19 players.  Also, when you are managing your cap you have to look long term.  In 2 1/2 years we will need upwards of $10 million to sign Pettersson.  So that puts us in line with Edmonton as having almost $30 million tied up in 3 players.  And I haven't even considered Bo's renewal in a few years.  Bottom line is we would be in the same spot in a couple years as Toronto is this summer.

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If Juolevi doesn't pan out it's not the end of the world.  Not every #5 overall pick makes it in the league.  Like I already mentioned we would have major cap issues if we had picked up Tkachuk, not to mention the fact that if we drafted Tkachuk then more than likely we are not in a position to draft Pettersson as our draft position may have been much lower.

JB got the best player in the draft in 2017 at #5 overall, he got his PMD defenceman last year at #7 overall.  We got Boeser at #23 overall, he would have been an easy top 10 pick in a redo of that draft.  There is not a GM in the history of the NHL who has nailed every pick, even the ones who have had the #1 overall pick, just ask the Edmonton Oilers. As Todd Bertuzi would say, "it is what it is"...

He's only 20 fer God's sake.  Let the nervous Nellie's be nervous.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

He's only 20 fer God's sake.  Let the nervous Nellie's be nervous.

You are correct.  He could be Ohlund 2.0 which I will take in a heartbeat.  I just hate the Tkachuk comparisons because it makes me feel that people are dissing JB and his drafting.  If you look at his drafting record over the last 5 years I would say it is in the top 5 of GM's around the league.  So worst case scenario if Juolevi is a bust then it still does not affect what JB has done and will be doing moving forward...

• Upvote 2

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

You are correct.  He could be Ohlund 2.0 which I will take in a heartbeat.  I just hate the Tkachuk comparisons because it makes me feel that people are dissing JB and his drafting.  If you look at his drafting record over the last 5 years I would say it is in the top 5 of GM's around the league.  So worst case scenario if Juolevi is a bust then it still does not affect what JB has done and will be doing moving forward...

Me too.  OJ isn't the second coming but I think that Benning is picking for the player a kid is going to be rather than the first to make the NHL.  Not worried

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes I did look at that.  That only includes 13 players.  Boeser & Tkachuk alone would eat up another $16-18 million.  So that's 15 players.  Then you have like I mentioned Hutton, Leivo and Granlund as RFA's and Edler as a UFA.  That would take you to the cap right there.  Don't think you can field a team with only 19 players.  Also, when you are managing your cap you have to look long term.  In 2 1/2 years we will need upwards of $10 million to sign Pettersson.  So that puts us in line with Edmonton as having almost $30 million tied up in 3 players.  And I haven't even considered Bo's renewal in a few years.  Bottom line is we would be in the same spot in a couple years as Toronto is this summer.

Being so rich in talent you might not be afford to sign all your guys while being cup contenders?

Sounds horrible

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Forget Tkachuk, in hindsight I want Sergachev, 

Juolevi has been hit with some bad luck. Hopefully, his adversity will help motivate him to get better and stronger. I would like to see him work on his shot. His passing is great though.

Who knows, maybe in a year or two, Juolevi becomes a strong Calder candidate and Tkachuk is holding out for a new contract and people will say, "Tkackuk Who??"

Way to early to give up on Juolevi.

• Upvote 3

There is always a human element to this process that no one can quite predict. Its possible that Benning and co. saw Juolevi as a potential Ekman-Larsson. This pick came after a lengthy period where we did not draft a defenseman in the 1st round. They took a swing realizing that they maybe passing on the safer pick, it was a calculated risk. That same risk paid off when we selected Petterson. Glass would have been a much less controversial selection. I don't criticize the approach just because it doesn't deliver the desired outcome. I like the fact that our management isn't afraid of swinging for the fences. It isn't looking so great right now with Juolevi although he still has time to turn it around. 

21 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

O'rly?

I had a Flames fan who tried to sell me the same song about Treliving. I laughed at him but I will at least give you a response.

It takes at minimum 4 years to get a reasonable outlook on how much talent a draft will actually produce. Ie. The time that it takes to seperate the wheat from the chafe. Let's pump the brakes a little. We have some promising prospects but this is a bold claim to make without seeing results at the big league level. Not to mention we have had the advantage of high picks in recent years. I think we can all agree that Detroit selecting Henrik Zetterberg in the 7th round is a much more impressive scouting feat than their selection of Steve Yzerman. So unless you have a list of every late round steal in the last few drafts along with the numbers for next lottery I am going to say this is just homerism. You can get away with it here but you will get called on it if you get into it with other hockey fans.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I think the Canucks need to look at the draft sans Juolevi. I was hoping they would draft a forward, but with Juolevi's future significantly more uncertain, I definitely wouldn't mind if they go defense. I would put Hughes, Woo, Rathbone, and Juolevi as our top 4 defensemen, in that order.

On 12/21/2018 at 9:56 PM, combover said:

The Vancouver sun. 

That said, Juolevi is the only player from his draft class’s first 16 picks who has yet to appear in an NHL game. Was the slow burn on him required
 it remains noteworthy that three defencemen — Tampa Bay’s Mikhail Sergachev (118 games), Boston’s Charlie McAvoy (77 games) and Arizona’s Jacob Chychrun (133 games) — have all played regular roles for their respective teams. (A fourth, Jake Bean of Carolina, has played two games.)

And no, don’t compare Juolevi to the two players selected after him, forwards Matthew Tkachuk (Calgary) and Clayton Keller (Arizona), who are both making a strong impact on their teams

didn't like this pick then like it even less today. Hope he can turn into something at some point for this team last thing we need is another pooalot. 

Wasn't it the Vancouver sun or was it the Province that said that we be dashing to the podium if Gabriel Vilardi was still available?  Can you imagine if we swapped out Pettersson today and put in Vilardi?  Sam F in Gagner will be our 2nd line contemn for crying out loud.  Teams don't get it right all the time, which is unfortunate this time, since we used a 5th pick on him. (media and fans don't get it right either infact if we drafted what the fans/media wanted we be a mess today)  Let me add mr combover, Sergachev is a wreck defensively Chychrun has a Salo like career in the making (injury prone) and also also needs work on his defensive play, McAvoy and Tkachuk, fair enough we all have 20/20 hindsight.

I do admit, it will be bad if Juolevi does not become an impact player, way behind, lets put it this way he might have been expected to play but no more then 10 games maybe this year, so now that's been downgraded to 0 games of course, we should I swear we should see him in our lineup in the 2020 season.

I love to see him do well, but losing a year of hockey is bad.  It really is.  That being said, Tkachuk, well, we draft Tkachuk in 2016 no Pettersson in 2017 and sure as hell no Hughes in 2018.  

but the book absolutely have no closed on Juolevi yet.  Nope.  too early, progress is bad, very bad, but not done yet.

Edited by MoneypuckOverlord

On 12/22/2018 at 1:56 AM, combover said:

The Vancouver sun. 

Red Herring.  

OJ was in Finland last year and injured his knee this year, requiring surgery.  

He and Bean were both considered to need more development time due to their slighter stature.  His timeline was never to be in the league in two years.  

I agreed with the pick, McAvoy was a missed opportunity.  I never wanted Tkachuk and the flames are about to find out why.

There is talk that Tkachuk is going for the mega bucks.  This is where he will be like his old man.  That apple doesn't fall far from the tree.  Brady has a different vibe to him, but MT will handcuff the Flames.  The chatter has him getting way more than Johnny Hockey.  Dont know how the Flames will manage the cap moving forward.  

MT is a chip off the old block.  

• Wat 1