The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

5 hours ago, Derp... said:

I feel like people just don't get to watch him play so they start panicking. It's not like he hasn't played well. He's just been injured a lot. He still projects as roughly a #3 on a good team which I think is fair. He's better than Jet Woo in my opinion, and probably will have a better career from a scoring perspective too. 

Juolevi has taken 2 big steps from OHL -> Liiga -> AHL and done pretty well in smaller samples. With the way the Comets are lining up this year, I expect he will be able to produce pretty well from the backend. Would love to see him around 0.7 points per game or so. 

Screen Shot 2019-07-27 at 5.20.03 PM.png

All I see there is a big dman who is mobile, can walk the line, has a snipe of of a wrist shot that can get through, sees the ice incredibly well, almost bouncing passes off guys sticks into the net, and that knows when to come down low and take a risk. 

Certainty looks like a top 2 dman to me lol. 

99.9% of the bashers on here will avoid dealing with what’s in that video and above. Thanks for the post, you made me even more excited to see this kid in our lineup. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I’m definitely willing to cut him some slack, I’m just not going to overhype him and pretend he’s shown he will become even more than he was originally drafted as.  His injuries have really set him back. This is his actually his D+4 year he’s going into though. First year was back in London, second year was Finland, third year was AHL. Two major injuries will hinder his timeline.  

Yes, D+4, my mistake,  so you and I are close in opinion on this because I don't have great expectations of Juolevi, I do think however that he has a decent chance of having an NHL career.  Not a star, but a reliable player.

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, JC2 said:

There's nothing wrong with a healthy debate, pointing out flaws or simply being optimistic but can we not all at least wait till he actually plays before passing final judgement? He's not old and he's not a bust but no doubt he has a lot of ground to cover to live up to his draft position. I for one choose to be optimistic but cautious. I see him being an NHL player but it's a matter of him being a top 2, 4 or bottom 6. 

he's gotta be better than Poo...as we type.

4 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Most of us want normal Canuck type chatter WITHOUT the regular negative nancies droning on and on and on and on about picking a different player in a previous draft (thanks to those captain hindsight posters - very brilliant of them) or how, in their professional opinion (:lol:) a prospect is a bust before they played an NHL game.

Who called the prospect a 'bust'?..just curious.

14 hours ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

As I stated above to Alf your response is typical of those who want to bash our prospects

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/377676-olli-juolevi-d/?do=findComment&comment=14982796

You say 6 years but you ignore actual facts behind his development, yet a few posts prior try to pretend you incorporate it into your thinking.

6 years are not really “6 years” when 2 of those years have been effectively lost to injury are they? And guess what? Who cares? If he’s a number 1 or 2 by 24 years old is that a big deal to you? Lol.

But let’s also not forget you have to add in a year or two, or a year if you want to argue over it, for the strength he was known he needed to gain. So that’s what 3 years? 

You people think just because a player gets hurt in 2 of 3 years post draft he’s not lived up to his draft position. Even a MORON realizes evaluating an injured player on what he can be Doesn’t work since, drrr where are the data points? You and your cohort say oh I know he was hurt then go on to act like he wasn’t hurt and he’s played 240 games since being drafted and performed poorly - since that’s the only way one could make an assessment such as yours. Umm no, he’s been hurt, so how do you say he’s not living up to his potential? His potential doing what? Rehabbing? Is he not rehabbing fast enough? Ok sorry talk to the medical staff about that! 

AGAIN, Roman Josi took 5 years to become a top 4 NHL dman. Not even a top 2 (Weber was ahead of him). 

Al Arbour, who knows a hell of a lot more about hockey than you ever will, stated it takes about 200 games in the NHL to know what you have in a defenseman. But I guess you and your “circle of friends” from hockey forums know better than him from what? watching a kid rehab? 

Was he not scoring enough from the couch or press box when he couldn’t walk? Was he getting burned wide by guys on the ice while he was in the Utica press box eating popcorn watching? Did he not live up to being a top 5 pick because the Canucks chose not to call him up and play him with a torn knee ligament? Damn what a bad pick!! He should be able to be as good as Doughty on one leg! He must have no heart! The Canucks wanted him up on one leg but he passed right? Smh 

Move on, and when you learn about hockey come and chat. Until then I have better things to do than educate you

I find it ironic and humorous that EXACTLY how I explained how the trolls act on this site, you end up doing exactly that! Go figure! Lol

:frantic::picard:

I've completely acknowledged his injuries in other posts..(without resorting to infantile name calling?)..He's had one good training camp (his first),and has not demonstrated anywhere near enough to be an NHL player (yet)........sorry.

Edited by debluvscanucks
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

What a condescending delusional Jackass you are..lol...I've completely acknowledged his injuries in other posts..(without resorting to infantile name calling?)..He's had one good training camp (his first),and has not demonstrated anywhere near enough to be an NHL player (yet)........sorry.

Again, your post doesn’t address my points and simply makes an ad hominem attack. This is the sign of someone who’s well aware they’ve lost a debate. 

Just because one cannot handle that the points made to counter their argument are valid, does not make one making the points condescending, what it makes them is right and the other side incapable of accepting being wrong, and your response proves it. A verbal attack followed by “I’m right because I say so”. 

Please enjoy hockeyforums, it’s more your style. 

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Wat 2

18 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

This is a hockey forum..I will be more than happy to to concede to you (ecstatic,in fact) that I was brutally wrong .... if Juolevi does indeed..live up to a 5th OA after 200 games....

What you're basically saying is that he has to be a 1st pairing D-man after 200 games..no pressure there?

18 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

I'm very aware that Dmen take longer...However,..players like Fabbro and Stanley were taken 16-17th OA....If Olli were taken in the mid teens, we wouldnt be having this discussion.

I think you vastly overvalue the historical return on a 5th OA pick. A solid, second pairing D at 5th OA is a home run. 

If we're lucky and he becomes a 1st pair/#2 D, it's a full bases loaded, ball in the parking lot and setting off someone's alarm.

Edited by aGENT
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

I think you vastly overvalue the historical return on a 5th OA pick. A solid, second pairing D at 5th OA is a home run. 

If we're lucky and he becomes a 1st pair/#2 D, it's a full bases loaded, ball in the parking lot and setting off someone's alarm.

If he becomes a 2nd pairing D...I would be more than happy with that.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

If he becomes a 2nd pairing D...I would be more than happy with that.

That's his trajectory IMO. So long as he can get/stay healthy and get play time in.

He just needs to PLAY.

Edited by aGENT

On 7/29/2019 at 3:37 PM, Dannydog said:

Joulevi's just the new guy these folks are targeting." these folks "are the very same who talked crap non stop about Virtanen. I blocked them so i can enjoy any updates on their progression without "the glass half empty attitude".

There's the glass half empty type's....the glass half full type's and the "screw the glass, pass the bottle" type's

...or as a wise man once said...there 2 types of people in this world...those that think there are only 2 types of people and those that know better.

Juolevi will be vital part of our first Stanley Cup...year after next....!

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

OJ has an ideal skill set for our team.  Injuries had affected him, but those injuries are common in guys physically growing while playing contact sports.  

Not one injury is a long term worry IMO.  Shutting him down last year was a smart move.  Give his body time to finish growing.  I expect him to push into a roster spot by the end of this season.   

• Upvote 1

On 7/27/2019 at 7:33 AM, 18W-40C-6W said:

He was also -11 in like the first 7 games or so. He adjusted quickly after that bad start and as above plus / minus is never really a great stat. It’s more a team stat than individual 

He was also - 4 in his last 4 games and a plus player in 3 out of 18 games. I know +/- can be skewed if you are playing a shutdown role. As an AHL rookie he wasnt in that role and rightfully so.  People always say its a meaningless stat. I guess its just a coincidence that the Canucks wanted to improve there D and the two main guys the sent out were Huttton -23 and Guddy -27 the two worst +/- players on the team. The 3rd worst player was -12.