The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

27 minutes ago, Bure fan said:

Do the Canucks not have two 2nd Round picks? 

I thought we gained one in exchange for losing Tortz, but every draft website only shows us having one :(

I believe Columbus still have to greenlight giving us the pick this year, which they likely will. 

• Upvote 1

That's kind of nice. Going from having no 2nd round picks, to possibly 2 this year. Damn I hope we get a top 3. The Canucks need that high level player that can jump into the lineup next year, and impress. At the moment I'm thinking if the Canucks don't get a top 3, trade down for a top 10, draft Rasmussen and get a couple of picks in the deal. Next year's draft should be better, from what I've heard here by some.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Sorry, I don't get the attraction. Looking at his stats above, pretty average. And at 143, he'd have to put on 50 lbs.

Those are for his previous two seasons.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=312221

39-66-105 in 60 GP this year. I'm strictly stat watching here. I know nothing else about him.

edit: I should add that Johnny Gaudreau is only listed st 5"9 and 157 pounds. I've heard this is generous too.

Edited by Sean Monahan

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Those are pretty great stats, I don't know anything about him yet, but I'm going to check

His lack of appearances in the KHL and the Russian second league (VHL? Can't remember what it's called) despite his outstanding stats in the MHL make me wonder though. That said, I do believe plenty of good Russian players have played their entire draft years in the MHL.

12 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Hes sad we didnt put Ehlers :(

I remember that guy wanting Ehlers badly!! 

Was a heavy heavy promoter thats for sure.

Think he is an online amateur scout or something or rather - but he is MIA on the forums now

2 hours ago, vancan2233 said:

I would take the chance:

Artyom Manukyan

Born on: June 9, 1998

Birth place: Omsk, Russia

Forward, shoots right

5 ' 9" | 143 lb

Regular Season

Embed

Age Season Team LGE GP G A P PIM +/- PPG SHG GWG SH%
16 2014‑15 Omskie Yastreby MHL 43 11 12 23 20 3 3 0 1 12.9
17 2015‑16 Omskie Yastreby MHL 42 11 17 28 14 15 1 1 4 10.1
    MHL Totals   85 22 29 51 34 18 4 1 5 11.3

Playoff Stats

Embed

Age Season Team LGE GP G A P PIM +/- PPG SHG GWG SH%
16 2014‑15 Omskie Yastreby MHL 7 0 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 0.0
17 2015‑16 Omskie Yastreby MHL 4 0 2 2 8 -4 0 0 0 0.0
    MHL Totals   11 0 2 2 8 -5 0 0 0 0.0

Yeah sign me up for that. Do you think our 4th rounder can get him? Anything that deep into the draft is a pretty big long shot so why not put that shot into somebody offensively gifted.

4 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Would the Canucks consider dropping down to maybe 8-10 position if they don't get a top 2 draft pick? As mentioned, if you can't get Patrick/Hischer, most of the players that go after are pretty interchangeable of which position they go.

If we end up picking 4th or 5th and cant get a play making centre in that range I would not be mad if we dropped down and got Nick Suzuki. I believe he is one of the youngest in the draft and although they say he is small he has 10lbs on 18 year old Hischier.

Here's a good write up: https://thebloggerstribune.com/2016/11/17/2017-nhl-entry-draft-profile-dont-sleep-on-nick-suzuki/

Elite prospects: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=300436

A smart offensive center that thinks the game at a fast pace and makes very good decisions on a consistent basis. Though he may not be the biggest player on the ice, Suzuki plays a thick, sturdy game and is hard to knock off the puck, especially when he has his feet moving. He's an excellent skater that knows his own game well. Skilled with the puck and has a high level of hockey sense. This blend of talent and work ethic is hard to come by, invaluable in the long run. [EP] 

Highlights: 

Edited by AV's Coin
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, AV's Coin said:

If we end up picking 4th or 5th and cant get a play making centre in that range I would not be mad if we dropped down and got Nick Suzuki. I believe he is one of the youngest in the draft and although they say he is small he has 10lbs on 18 year old Hischier.

Here's a good write up: https://thebloggerstribune.com/2016/11/17/2017-nhl-entry-draft-profile-dont-sleep-on-nick-suzuki/

A smart offensive center that thinks the game at a fast pace and makes very good decisions on a consistent basis. Though he may not be the biggest player on the ice, Suzuki plays a thick, sturdy game and is hard to knock off the puck, especially when he has his feet moving. He's an excellent skater that knows his own game well. Skilled with the puck and has a high level of hockey sense. This blend of talent and work ethic is hard to come by, invaluable in the long run. [EP] 

Highlights: 

Even better, trade for another 1st and take him too lol

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, AV's Coin said:

Highlights: 

23 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Even better, trade for another 1st and take him too lol

If we can add another 1st in the 10-20 range we should pick him up if he's available. Then hopefully if Columbus gives us their 2nd round pick this year we can package that with our early 3rd round pick to move up in the draft and pick Suzuki's linemate Jonah Gadjovic. Add that to a top-3 lottery pick in which we get our future first line centreman and it could turn out to be a perfect draft scenario for Canucks fans. 

A kid can dream lol

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Yeah because no one scores in the NHL by going to the net hard, especially if you are 6'6'' and have good hands in tight... I think he will be a very effective NHLer, if we were picking in the 7-10 spot I would definitely take a chance on him.  

Outside of the top 15, yeah i'd agree. But one tries not to draft a one-dimensional guy with a  top-5 pick. and people who normally do the 'crash and bang the net' at NHL and are good at it, have plenty other skills, not just that skill like Rasmussen.

5 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Yeah sign me up for that. Do you think our 4th rounder can get him? Anything that deep into the draft is a pretty big long shot so why not put that shot into somebody offensively gifted.

Way too high for a severely undersized draft +1 guy. He'll be available in 7th round but probably won't even get drafted. 

A guy like Shyvryov would be better pick up as he's got nhl size and same ppg as Manukyan and had strong numbers last year as well. Or even a Altybarmakyan as he played VHL and is showing more progression.

As for smaller guys to take a chance on: 

Zach Solow is leading the USHL in scoring.

Then there are guys like Mason Shaw and Aleksi Heponiemi who were both 2nd in points for their teams. 

edit: should probably add Heponiemi's teammate Tyler Steenbergen who was the leading scorer.

Edited by funkyfresh
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Those are for his previous two seasons.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=312221

39-66-105 in 60 GP this year. I'm strictly stat watching here. I know nothing else about him.

edit: I should add that Johnny Gaudreau is only listed st 5"9 and 157 pounds. I've heard this is generous too.

Jesus. How is that kid still playing lol