The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"Vey not tendered a qualifying offer"

JustABandwagoner

3 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Bye Vey. Waste of a 2nd rounder, but it was supposed to be a risk. Just didnt pan out :/ 

Have fun in Europe or something! 

Risks happen but I look at it out of the use we got from him. He did what we wanted. He bridged the gap and helped us in our time of need last year with Hank and Sutter out.  

That 2nd round pick has more then paid itself off Imo.  Having vey in the lineup probably has helped bo more then we know.  The team keeping his family stuff quiet all last season is a very good bonding experience for the team.

If I were to bet. I'd suspect prust was the one that spilled the beans to botch.  Higgins is 2 classy and prust was a d bag and told the kids they gotta protect themselves. He too me looks like a guy with no character.  Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Thanks for your help vey buddy!  Hope you find a good balance in life and get many years of doing what you love playing hockey.  I expect he will be back in the nhl soon even if he does jet to Europe. I can see him in a blues jersey!

Good luck and thanks for everything Veysey!!!

52 minutes ago, Rough Neck said:

Not sure if he'd be in the AHL, I think he's played enough to have to clear waivers. (I assume you know what two-way means, but if you don't it has to do with their contract not moving through waivers. Example 1 mil with NHL team, only 30% paid in AHL..get sent down you make 300k that year, play in NHL you make 1mil.) 

Two-way contracts have nothing to do with waivers. That's an EA Sports NHLXX fallacy.

EDIT: I just re-read that, and I think a comma would have helped you. i.e. "it has to do with their contract, not moving through waivers" - without the comma suggests "their contract not moving through waivers."

Wish him the best of luck. It's too bad this came down now when he was already dealt some pretty bad news with his family issues. 

Hopefully he can chill in Europe for a year or 2 making some decent coin. 

Vey just wasn't going to fit here, the minutes need to go to our better prospects. 

That said, he seems like really good kid, and that still counts for a lot in this world. I don't know if he'll get any more NHL opportunities, but he should find a great situation in Europe should he feel like going. 

4 hours ago, HK Phooey said:

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but Vey not being qualified does not automatically mean that he's gone (though it's rare when an un-qualified RFA is re-signed by the team that did not qualify them).  Vey could very well still come to an agreement with the Canucks at a lower cap hit/two-way deal.  IMO, that's a real possibility with Vey.  

Oh I'm well aware...I just prefer to believe this is the end of the vey-era

5 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

We just keep his rights is all.  He's definitely on the bubble, and a very thin one.  Would probably clear waivers after camp though.

You have to qualify a player to keep his rights. By not qualifying him he becomes a ufa.

Vey was worth a shot (despite some fans' frustration and questions about him being here). He may have very well panned out but he didn't.

I'm still glad that we are giving players like him and Baer a shot. It worked with Baer at least. Baer's a prime example of how this is a feasible method to make the team better in my opinion.

Next, we'll see if Etem pans out. ;)

10 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Two-way contracts have nothing to do with waivers. That's an EA Sports NHLXX fallacy.

EDIT: I just re-read that, and I think a comma would have helped you. i.e. "it has to do with their contract, not moving through waivers" - without the comma suggests "their contract not moving through waivers."

haha, properly using commas is definitely not my strong point. ::D

16 minutes ago, X-PatLostInEdm said:

I wouldn't worry about it. CDC's complaint depth chart is pretty deep.

True enough. A season without at least one whipping boy would be like a winter without rain here. :lol:

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

2nd Round Pick down the drain.

I had no problems getting him via a trade but a 2nd was too high a price for someone drafted in the 4th round.

Actually he's already beaten the odds of a 2nd round pick. 70% never manage to play 100 nhl games. Where you're drafted has little meaning after a few years of development. For some value goes up and others it goes down.

Archived