The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"Vey not tendered a qualifying offer"

JustABandwagoner

Played 117 games for us. 

In the last 25 years only four of our 2nd round picks played more games than that. (Scatchard, Druken, Chubarov, and Raymond).

Waste of a 2nd round pick? I would say it was more of a success than normal.

17 minutes ago, HK Phooey said:

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but Vey not being qualified does not automatically mean that he's gone (though it's rare when an un-qualified RFA is re-signed by the team that did not qualify them).  Vey could very well still come to an agreement with the Canucks at a lower cap hit/two-way deal.  IMO, that's a real possibility with Vey.  

I would like to see the Canucks take a flyer on Brett Conolly with Vey's money.  He is apparently available after not being qualified by Boston.  I think no risk, much higher potential reward.

1 hour ago, DontMessMe said:

Bye Vey. Waste of a 2nd rounder, but it was supposed to be a risk. Just didnt pan out :/ 

Have fun in Europe or something! 

Agreed. Too bad it didn't work out for that 2nd rounder. Hopefully he's able to sort out his family problems for the best for himself and his loved ones. All the best to him but he really never fit in here properly.

55 minutes ago, billabong said:

Couldn't be more happy he's gone. He was the most frustrating player to watch and get behind when favouritism was clearly a factor when he didn't deserve it. 

Exactly.

Coach Willie treated him like a son, would play him over Mccan which really bugged me at times especially when Mccaan should have been playing in the world juniors not in the press box. Jarred is gone but Willie could have done a better job to up his value rather than devalue the kid and try to make Vey into a major player on this team. Maybe Flordia doesn't get the draft picks.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Played 117 games for us. 

In the last 25 years only four of our 2nd round picks played more games than that. (Scatchard, Druken, Chubarov, and Raymond).

Waste of a 2nd round pick? I would say it was more of a success than normal.

Great point.  Benning has done a great job of making us much younger but not with players who won't play for 3-5 years.  He has restocked the cupboard and balanced the age of the team.  We have great goaltending depth, very strong defense with huge upside in the next couple of years, and a much younger forward group that already has nhl experience.

For Example Hunter Shinkaruk was traded for Granlund.  I can't see Shinkaruk bumping Monahan, Gaudreau, Bennett, Backlund, Jooris, Frolik, Colborne, or Tkachuk off the top two lines.  He will not be a 3rd or 4th liner.  Granlund already played games for us and has a strong future as an nhl 3rd line centre or better.

Good experiment. There are probably better options out there. Especially with so many rfas not being qualified.

Room on the roster has to come at someone's expense.

Good luck Linden...with everything.

The fact that Benning negotiated a lower salary with Etem rather than qualifying him is a sign that we are trying very hard to sign at least one top UFA. Benning seems to be maximizing capspace. To qualify Vey, we would have to give him a minor raise from $1,000,000.00. If Vey does not go to Europe to distance himself from his issues, he will have to take a paycut. That is the only way I see him on our roster next season.

Linden Vey will go down as one of the most hated Canucks players of all time. Most of the hate was entirely unwarranted. Guy is probably messed up in the head bad. Being in a hockey crazy market with insane fans and having your dad try to kill your mom is a lot for a 23 year old to handle. Hope he gets some help.

10 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

Linden Vey will go down as one of the most hated Canucks players of all time. Most of the hate was entirely unwarranted. Guy is probably messed up in the head bad. Being in a hockey crazy market with insane fans and having your dad try to kill your mom is a lot for a 23 year old to handle. Hope he gets some help.

The hate he got was mostly not his fault, we just had a coach who was in love with him. 

2 hours ago, Solinar said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see him sign a 2 way contract here, and start in the AHL.  He was having a good season in Utica and delivers some center depth, no matter what the haters say.  And before the complaints on a waste of a 2nd round pick....  Its just lotto tickets.   Some are more weighted than others, but we can load a few hockey teams on the amount of first rounders that are bust, just in the last decade.   You win some, you lose some, deal. :)  Personally, I like buying the Set for Life scratch tickets that are blue....still haven't won.

Not sure if he'd be in the AHL, I think he's played enough to have to clear waivers. (I assume you know what two-way means, but if you don't it has to do with their contract not moving through waivers. Example 1 mil with NHL team, only 30% paid in AHL..get sent down you make 300k that year, play in NHL you make 1mil.) 

1 hour ago, Dixon Ward said:

I would like to see the Canucks take a flyer on Brett Conolly with Vey's money.  He is apparently available after not being qualified by Boston.  I think no risk, much higher potential reward.

Connolly would be a good signing...for a number of reasons.  But signing Connolly doesn't have to be mean not re-signing Vey.  I'm not so sure where Vey fits in, but IMO, I think a one year deal for Vey would help with organizational depth.  There's lots to still like about Connolly and he's still young enough that the future is front of him.  

I would be all for Benning signing Connolly to a one year one-way deal at up to $950K AAV.  Vey, I would be all for a one year two-way deal that would pay him $700K in the NHL and $200K in the AHL.

I knew he'd have to clear waivers, as he had to last season, but would expect that the interest level would probably be the same as last year.  He's just a better playmaking center option than some of the others we have on the team, and the wingers deserve to have a good passer to develop with as well.  Just my opinion tho.

Archived