The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Afghan axeman attacks train passengers

riffraff

One of my best buddies took his family to Europe for a four week holiday last week.  I'm hoping they return home safely.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/world/germany-bavaria-train-attack-1.3684436

German police fatally shoot attacker with axe on passenger train

Alleged attacker 17-year-old from Afghanistan

The Associated Press
4 Hours Ago
GERMANY TRAIN AXE ATTACK

Rescue vehicles and fire engines at a road block in Wuerzburg, Germany, 18 July 2016. Reports state that a man allegedly wielding an axe injured multiple passengers on a regional train. (Karl-Josef Hildenbrand/EPA) 

535 shares

A teenage Afghan migrant armed with an axe and a knife attacked passengers aboard a regional train in southern Germany on Monday night, injuring four people before he was shot and killed by police as he fled, authorities said.

Wuerzburg police said on their Facebook page that three of the victims suffered serious injuries and one was slightly injured. Another 14 people were being treated for shock.

Bavaria's top security official, state Interior Minister Joachim Herrmann, told Germany's ARD television that the attacker had been identified as a 17-year-old Afghan.

Germany last year registered more than one million migrants entering the country, including more than 150,000 Afghans, but it was not immediately clear whether the suspect was among them or someone who had been in the country for a longer time.

Herrmann said initial information was that the suspect came to Germany as an unaccompanied minor and had lived in the Wuerzburg area for some time, initially at a refugee facility in the town of Ochsenfurt and more recently with a foster family.

He said authorities were still investigating the motive of the attack and were looking into reports that the suspect had yelled out "an exclamation" during the rampage. He was responding to reports that some witnesses had heard the suspect shout "Allahu Akbar" ("God Is Great") during the attack.

The train was on its way from the Bavarian town of Treuchtlingen to Wuerzburg, which is about 100 kilometres northwest of Nuremberg.

4 hours ago, riffraff said:

One of my best buddies took his family to Europe for a four week holiday last week.  I'm hoping they return home safely.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/world/germany-bavaria-train-attack-1.3684436

German police fatally shoot attacker with axe on passenger train

Alleged attacker 17-year-old from Afghanistan

The Associated Press
4 Hours Ago
GERMANY TRAIN AXE ATTACK

Rescue vehicles and fire engines at a road block in Wuerzburg, Germany, 18 July 2016. Reports state that a man allegedly wielding an axe injured multiple passengers on a regional train. (Karl-Josef Hildenbrand/EPA) 

535 shares

A teenage Afghan migrant armed with an axe and a knife attacked passengers aboard a regional train in southern Germany on Monday night, injuring four people before he was shot and killed by police as he fled, authorities said.

Wuerzburg police said on their Facebook page that three of the victims suffered serious injuries and one was slightly injured. Another 14 people were being treated for shock.

Bavaria's top security official, state Interior Minister Joachim Herrmann, told Germany's ARD television that the attacker had been identified as a 17-year-old Afghan.

Germany last year registered more than one million migrants entering the country, including more than 150,000 Afghans, but it was not immediately clear whether the suspect was among them or someone who had been in the country for a longer time.

Herrmann said initial information was that the suspect came to Germany as an unaccompanied minor and had lived in the Wuerzburg area for some time, initially at a refugee facility in the town of Ochsenfurt and more recently with a foster family.

He said authorities were still investigating the motive of the attack and were looking into reports that the suspect had yelled out "an exclamation" during the rampage. He was responding to reports that some witnesses had heard the suspect shout "Allahu Akbar" ("God Is Great") during the attack.

The train was on its way from the Bavarian town of Treuchtlingen to Wuerzburg, which is about 100 kilometres northwest of Nuremberg.

Don't be scared. There is absolutely nothing to fear. What could could possibly happen to your normal train commute?

4 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Ban all axes!!!!!

I love when people do this in situations like this.  The cognitive dissonance it takes to pretend this is anywhere near the same league as gun violence is pathetic.  All the victims are still alive.  This is a case that shows how important gun control is.  If he had a gun they'd be dead and probably many more besides.

Sadly tragedies such as this are inevitable; allowing more than a million unknown migrants to settle in your country, without documentation, prior history or testing, will unfortunately see not just one, but many unstable people coming to your country and causing chaos. Yes, the migrant crisis was serious. Yes, the 'West' did not handle it appropriately. But more than 20 innocent people have been injured/affected due to politicians giving into mass public and media hysteria about the migrant crisis.

No-one wins here. The victims and their families will be forever haunted. The German people will be wary for a long time of anyone clearly not German. The migrants will be shunned by society, for good or ill. Politicians will either call for togetherness, or call for migrants to be sent back home. Meanwhile, the attacker's religion is attacked (rightly or wrongly), and the minute percentage of religious zealots across Europe will see this as an opportunity.

I worry for Germany today. They have a growing problem with the neo-Nazi movement, and incidents such as this may see some retaliation.

Hopefully common sense will prevail, and European countries will continue to work together to root out the bad apples. Regardless of the Brexit, the UK will have a key role to play in intelligence across Europe and I hope that the series of tragedies over recent months will stop as we all work together to end the needless bloodshed.

Can anyone give me even a 1% rational explanation of why Allah would approve of this attack?

It should be noted that the attacker is Afghan and not Syrian so, if anyone's looking to pin this on Syrian refugees, it's not the case.

The unfortunate truth is when you have billions of people on a planet, chances are there are going to be some crazies, no matter the religion or anything.

8 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Ban all axes!!!!!

I think this was said tongue in cheek, but it illustrates a point that several of us in the gun control debate have been saying all along. Imagine the carnage had this kid been armed with an AR-15, instead of an axe and a knife...

56 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think this was said tongue in cheek, but it illustrates a point that several of us in the gun control debate have been saying all along. Imagine the carnage had this kid been armed with an AR-15, instead of an axe and a knife...

All he has to to is go to the US and buy a Rifle. The rules are absolutely awful.

4 hours ago, Captain Woodget said:

Sadly tragedies such as this are inevitable; allowing more than a million unknown migrants to settle in your country, without documentation, prior history or testing, will unfortunately see not just one, but many unstable people coming to your country and causing chaos. Yes, the migrant crisis was serious. Yes, the 'West' did not handle it appropriately. But more than 20 innocent people have been injured/affected due to politicians giving into mass public and media hysteria about the migrant crisis.

No-one wins here. The victims and their families will be forever haunted. The German people will be wary for a long time of anyone clearly not German. The migrants will be shunned by society, for good or ill. Politicians will either call for togetherness, or call for migrants to be sent back home. Meanwhile, the attacker's religion is attacked (rightly or wrongly), and the minute percentage of religious zealots across Europe will see this as an opportunity.

I worry for Germany today. They have a growing problem with the neo-Nazi movement, and incidents such as this may see some retaliation.

Hopefully common sense will prevail, and European countries will continue to work together to root out the bad apples. Regardless of the Brexit, the UK will have a key role to play in intelligence across Europe and I hope that the series of tragedies over recent months will stop as we all work together to end the needless bloodshed.

Can anyone give me even a 1% rational explanation of why Allah would approve of this attack?

Tragedies such as this are inevitable- agreed but people don't need to be immigrants to do crazy stuff.

Just ask the folks in OKC about McVeigh, or the people of Waco, or....Norway- places that had terrorism by citizens.

Crazy people do crazy things.

Archived