The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Opening Roster - Finalized

Ossi Vaananen

15 minutes ago, logic said:

Why is anyone surprised about Subban? we have a logjam on D for our bottom pairing right now.

Try. Sbisa. Pedan, Larsen, and the emergence of Stetcher all battling it out. Subban would not have even got a fair look compared to these guys so let him be the man in Utica for another season.

I think everyone assumed he would get at least 1 preseason game out of the last 2 years. Our management doesn't use the preseason for development, they use it for giving guys like Sheppard as many chances as possible to make the team. 

21 hours ago, JamesB said:

These three posts capture what  i think is important.

First, there is no room for Subban on the team. Obviously the top 4 is solid: Edler, Tanev, Guddy and Hutton. Then the Canucks are committed to giving Larsen a good look. And they pretty much have to keep Tryamkin and Pedan for waiver reasons, and because based on their play so far they deserve to be there. And Sbisa will be on the team.

And there is still Biega and Stecher who are both clearly ahead of Subban on the depth chart and are both right hand shots. So i have Subban at #11 on the depth chart (and that is not counting Juolevi who is obviously a much better prospect but who will go back to Junior). Subban will have to show a lot in Utica  to move up the depth chart but he has a shot a playing some games for the Canucks this depending on injuries, possible trades, and his own performance.

Nothing wrong with a D spending two years in the AHL.

And that's assuming that Sautner and Billins don't get ahead of him in the queue.

21 hours ago, Alflives said:

Sounds to me like Subban is not getting a fair chance, because the coach thinks he's too small.  I'm not a BIG fan of Subban, but the guy should have a fair shot, and (commenting on his lack of size) sounds like our coach is being prejudicial.  IMHAO, of course.

Well if anyone would know if he's getting a fair shot it would be you.  Humble my ass.

It does suck Carcone didn't get a second preseason game but think of the strategy. Here is an undrafted overlooked player coming out of nowhere virtually showing he has some pretty awesome talent. His ELC is a two-way deal so play him and work with him to increase his size, speed and confidence in Utica call him up when injuries to full time forwards occur over the season and end up with a player groomed for leading your NHL team in the future.

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

well, it is part of their job to appease the fan base, isn't it?  Now was JB being completely honest when he mentioned guys earning spots will get them?  Carcone absolutely earned more time up here.  He's clearly outplayed Etem (for example).  Yet Etem continues on the team.  What message does this move send to the fans?

Ummm, one has a nhl contract and the other does not?  I'm not saying Etem will even be on the team but hes a better hockey player at this stage of their careers than Carcone.

4 hours ago, Frail Granny said:

Well, when you're the best offensive defenseman on the teams AHL affiliate (a pro league) last year, and you only get one pre-season game, only to be sent down, eyebrows are going to be raised. Meanwhile, rookies and junior players are getting longer looks to make the team. I'm not saying Subban should have made this team, but he wasn't even given an opportunity in camp. 

Did you see him feed it up the middle to the other team for the winning goal in Penticton?  Far worse than any pass that Sbisa's tried to force.  But somehow I'm guessing the details of the game are not obvious to you.  Get yourself a box of Kleenex.

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Not a fan of cutting Carcone after he worked his ass off last night. 8 hits in 9 mins of ice time, and he's undersized? He deserved better. 

How about a contract and a spot on the farm club... 

This isn't kindergarten.  He needs to be the best player available - period.  You liked his play and so did the Nucks.  That's why he's in the fold.  No crying necessary.

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

At this point, games are earned. I think Carcone earned another game with how he played last night. Guys like Sheppard and D'Aoust were on the contrary, quite terrible and should be cut. Narrow out the roster game by game, don't let their namesake or lack thereof determine if they make the roster or not. 

You're mixed up.  No one is 'earning' pre-season games with hard work.  This is an AUDITION.  Evaluation and assessment are the keys here, not fair play.

38 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

They're such meanies.  They obviously don't want to make you happy.  I guess that's stupid ownership trying to win.

35 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

B-b-but he's our favorite.  I'll say it again, they're big meanies.  Oh my fragile heart.

22 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Well if anyone would know if he's getting a fair shot it would be you.  Humble my ass.

2 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

How about a contract and a spot on the farm club... 

This isn't kindergarten.  He needs to be the best player available - period.  You liked his play and so did the Nucks.  That's why he's in the fold.  No crying necessary.

Just now, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

You're mixed up.  No one is 'earning' pre-season games with hard work.  This is an AUDITION.  Evaluation and assessment are the keys here, not fair play.

And you sir are a miserable prick. It's a cut thread, there will be opinions of players higher than your own. Seek counselling. Welcome to the ignore list.

5 minutes ago, Blueberries said:

That sucks for Carcone. He had skill and an edge.

The way he played last night should garner him a call up at some point this season. His tenacity and effort was awesome and I really enjoyed watching him. 

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

They're clearly not dicking around. You get a quick look to see where you're at and let you know where you need to improve but if you're not in realistic consideration...

Then why is etem still here, he earned it.lol. with it outstanding perimeter play no hits and maybe 1 shot. The guy look like a bad version of Raymond. Carcone labate and Guance even skille look better than etem for the bottom six. And that's only out of the guys that played last night. 

Earning spots its is just another catch phrase benning has patented. Larson will be gifted a spot as will granlund and etem.  

4 minutes ago, combover said:

They why is etem still here, he earned it with it outstanding perimeter play no hits and maybe 1 shot. The guy look like a bad version of Raymond. Carcone labate and Guance even skille look better than etem for the bottom six. And that's only out of the guys that played last night. 

Same reason they wouldn't cut Baer if he had a mediocre preseason game.

Because he has history and has already played in the NHL. They've seen Etem play better than last night and they'll give him some time to ramp it up. One pre-season game (good or bad) doesn't a cut make. But he's going to have to make sure he actually does ramp it up to keep Gaunce, Zalewski, Skille etc from taking his job.

Archived