Canucks Opening Roster - Finalized

Ossi Vaananen

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Appeared to be haste, demoting young Subban

Got a mere taste; sent packing, east-bound van

One can't help but feel

Might get swapped in a deal

It's not cut & paste, building roster with a plan

I really do my best to be positive, optimistic and realistic but I can't support you on this one.  Boo

Personally, I believe from their showing in Penticton that Stecher walked right in and made Subban redundant immediately.

As soon as they played 2 games each, Troy became the first RH call-up after Biega. 

I said then and I'll say now, I don't think Subban breaks camp with Utica. He's a trade chip now.

Let's be real here, the Canucks already have 8 D men (that can't just be sent down) trying out for 6 spots without throwing Subban in the mix. The Canucks have a lot to look at this preseason and are probably comfortable with Subban's development. We'll see what the roster looks like after the pre-season because I still believe Subban will play a game in the NHL this year.

4 minutes ago, cbdoubleu said:

Let's be real here, the Canucks already have 8 D men (that can't just be sent down) trying out for 6 spots without throwing Subban in the mix. The Canucks have a lot to look at this preseason and are probably comfortable with Subban's development. We'll see what the roster looks like after the pre-season because I still believe Subban will play a game in the NHL this year.

Subban is likely behind our 8 NHL D (including Larsen, Tryamkin, Pedan), and 2 of our AHL D in Stecher and Biega.  He is at best our 11th Defenseman, and barring significant injuries or roster movement will not get a sniff of the NHL this year.  Why would they take ice time away from guys who are competing for spots, when he can go and train with the team that is assured to be on.  Subban is a great story with his size and success of his brother, but he is at least 1 year and a ton of improvement away from getting a chance with the Canucks.

4 hours ago, Noseforthenet said:

I think they're being more realistic. There are maybe 1 or 2 spots available for D this year and that's pushing it and Subbs is in no way going to beat out Stetcher and even he may not make it because of the Canucks right sided defensive depth in its top 6.

4 hours ago, J.R. said:

Goodness with the Subban whining. He's a talented offensive D who needs a LOT more development time learning to play in his own end and against men. There's nothing wrong with him being sent down to get that development time you bunch of emos... :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Like many my first reaction for Subban was, already....but at the same time, giving the depth we have this year and waiver eligibility...it's a no brainer.

Subban should be an important piece for Utica, and not a bad idea to send him early so he can start the AHL season on the right foot.

IMO it will depend on Larsen's performances.  If he's not a liability on the third pair and can generate points on the powerplay, it's not going to look good for Subban.  But if Larsen is not better than Weber, I can see Subban getting a shot if he continue to improve in Utica.

These three posts capture what  i think is important.

First, there is no room for Subban on the team. Obviously the top 4 is solid: Edler, Tanev, Guddy and Hutton. Then the Canucks are committed to giving Larsen a good look. And they pretty much have to keep Tryamkin and Pedan for waiver reasons, and because based on their play so far they deserve to be there. And Sbisa will be on the team.

And there is still Biega and Stecher who are both clearly ahead of Subban on the depth chart and are both right hand shots. So i have Subban at #11 on the depth chart (and that is not counting Juolevi who is obviously a much better prospect but who will go back to Junior). Subban will have to show a lot in Utica  to move up the depth chart but he has a shot a playing some games for the Canucks this depending on injuries, possible trades, and his own performance.

Nothing wrong with a D spending two years in the AHL.

48 minutes ago, hearditall said:

Desjardins as asked specifically about Subban and his development.

"Subban has taken some big steps. It's hard for a guy his size to play in the league, you look at a guy like Lucic coming in, so I think he just has to keep working on his game and getting better.

"Offensively he's sound, defensively he has to make some reads and improve a little bit of his habits in practice. He loves the game and he plays well, but I think sometimes he has to get a bit more structured defensively."

Please stop the FAIR play here. This isn't drop in hockey. Heck there's no fair play in Atom, Bantam, Peewee, etc...

Not Close to being Ready. Anybody actually watching can see that...

Sounds to me like Subban is not getting a fair chance, because the coach thinks he's too small.  I'm not a BIG fan of Subban, but the guy should have a fair shot, and (commenting on his lack of size) sounds like our coach is being prejudicial.  IMHAO, of course.

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sounds to me like Subban is not getting a fair chance, because the coach thinks he's too small.  I'm not a BIG fan of Subban, but the guy should have a fair shot, and (commenting on his lack of size) sounds like our coach is being prejudicial.  IMHAO, of course.

I don't know if I agree. 

I think WD is basically acknowledging that it's just harder for smaller players to make it. Which is true. If a smaller player is going to make it at the NHL level, they better do something exceptionally well. Subban is good offensively, is he exceptional? It's clear that he's got to work on his defensive game, and be better on the right side of the puck. He needs to work on that, and hopefully Green can continue to work with him, and get him to improve.

36 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Appeared to be haste, demoting young Subban

Got a mere taste; sent packing, east-bound van

One can't help but feel

Might get swapped in a deal

It's not cut & paste, building roster with a plan

Alas, the little fellas been demoted , set has been his fate

Its no ones fault really but your only Five foot eight

Go big or go home, its the new motto on D

interesting considering our coach is maybe Five Three

Get big minutes down there and this message I will send

Your coach down there will be the coach up here before seasons end

Just now, N4ZZY said:

I don't know if I agree. 

I think WD is basically acknowledging that it's just harder for smaller players to make it. Which is true. If a smaller player is going to make it at the NHL level, they better do something exceptionally well. Subban is good offensively, is he exceptional? It's clear that he's got to work on his defensive game, and be better on the right side of the puck. He needs to work on that, and hopefully Green can continue to work with him, and get him to improve.

Yes, that's very true, but (of course there has to be a but) it does sound like WD has a preconceived opinion on smaller guys.  Maybe, that causes him to see those players differently?  Maybe it changes what he sees in their performance?  

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yes, that's very true, but (of course there has to be a but) it does sound like WD has a preconceived opinion on smaller guys.  Maybe, that causes him to see those players differently?  Maybe it changes what he sees in their performance?  

maybe. but i think that you might be reading too much into WD's comments about Subban. I think there is a general sentiment about smaller players. not just with WD. but with most coaches. you have to impress to change a coach's perspective and and whatever preconceived notions they may have. that's not on WD. That's on Subban to prove that he can play at the NHL level and belong. 

19 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Really wish they kept Cassels around for tonight's game. Missed opportunity to have him work on shutting down McDavid at this level.

probably best for Cassels to go down to Utica and prepare for the season down there. he wasn't going to make it here this year anyways. but Cassels will get his chance one day at shutting down McDavid i'm sure. 

I've said this before, but I would pay money to see Jordan Subban play as a forward:

• With his skating, speed, strength and offensive instincts, imho, he won't be too far behind the curve.
  • I imagine it would make for a calmer Subban household when each son plays a different position: PK on D, Malcom as goalie, and Jordan as forward.
  • A name of Jordan should really be focused on scoring points.

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I'm surprised by Marco Roy. I really liked him in the Youngstars games, thought he would get a preseason game. That said, it looks like D'Aoust plays tonight, so the Canucks might still have an eye for a walk-on contract. 

Would seem that now Roy would be looking at an AHL contract.  Interesting that D'Aoust is still here, perhaps for the same but maybe a two-way like Carcone's.  Hoping all three make it to the Comets.

1 hour ago, theminister said:

I said then and I'll say now, I don't think Subban breaks camp with Utica. He's a trade chip now.

As soon as we were pursuing Stecher I commented that it might mean the end of Subban.  The issue is though, what is his value and will it increase or decrease this year?  With Shinkaruk they had already been trying to move him, and pulled the trigger because they likely didn't think his value was going any higher.  Jordan does have the name going for him as well as AHL stats (as did Hunter), so if they don't think he'll make any further significant improvement then yeah, maybe they just move the contract for a pick or another team's redundant prospect.  The pitchforks will certainly be out again.

Archived