The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Opening Roster - Finalized

Ossi Vaananen

There seems a contradictory-issue within roster-selection/analysis of fanbase:

- Send a guy down that can get claimed(eg:Corrado), & they freekout when it happens

- Yet many are quick to post rosters that will require some of these(unprotected) demotions

We must also consider, with this season leading to an expansion draft, we'll need to expose a league-imposed number of exp'd vets.

This is not to criticize posters who assert their best roster-version. We just need to remember there are extra demands upon mgt(this season), in their decisions.

Overall, the trend seems to be a league increasingly promoting youth. Therefore, it appears more teams are opening cap space(where they can). Wouldn't be surprised to see this trend continue, meaning more vets(league-wide) getting demoted to the 'A'. I wonder if we'll be one of these clubs?

^Sorry, meant to add to the above..with this apparent transition throughout the league towards more affordable youth, I'm pretty impressed with how Benning/Linden have us positioned. Maybe it's their additional emphasis upon character, that's paying off? It appears so many of our young guys are pushing each other, thus the bar(to make the top club) is going higher.

Perhaps it was our mgt team's experience as players themselves, but they seem to have things lined up nicely.

Really liking Gaunce and Stetcher has definitely been a pleasant surprise. I too think Subban isn't being given a fair shake. His on-ice performances didn't warrant early cuts this year or last and I thought he played better than all defenders not named Edler and Stetcher. 

We gotta cut our losses and drop Etem already. I think everybody knows deep down that the guy is an impending bust. At this point in time, it would serve us better to finally give a guy like Gaunce his chance because he's drastically improved his flaws. Granlund is also looking like a major bust IMO. I can live with JB getting Etem because of what he cost but the thought of trading Shink for Granlund still makes my stomach turn.

Guys like Carcone and Labate were good surprises too but I feel like it's fourth line or bust for them. Not sure if we can realistically expect them to be mainstays with the main team this season.

Next cuts I predict

Forwards:

Michael Chaput

Jayson Megna

Michael Zalewski

Defense:

Alex Biega (now might be a good time)

Chad Billins

Guillaume Brisebois

Olli Juolevi

Tom Nilsson

Goaltenders: 

Richard Bachman

Thatcher Demko

PTOs:

James Sheppard

Total: 32 left in camp

On September 28, 2016 at 10:05 AM, apollo said:

Both Subs and Sautner deserved one more pre-season game at the very least and both had one assist to boot... Poor Subban, his only mistake was being drafted by the superior Mike Gillis and Jimbo just doesn't understand... 

His only mistake was drinking too much coffee when he was young!  Jimbo may have just turned around the Csnucks and restocked the cupboards in 2 years.  I think he understands a lot more than he lets on.

46 minutes ago, Bandwagon38 said:

His only mistake was drinking too much coffee when he was young!  Jimbo may have just turned around the Csnucks and restocked the cupboards in 2 years.  I think he understands a lot more than he lets on.

he better. benning is a professional manager of an NHL team. he better understand the ins and outs. 

8 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Have any names in mind? 

Rodin, Carcone (down the farm) I like that LaBate is pushing for a 4th line spot (his goal with a power move to the net) which will put a fire under Etem,Granlund, Burrows and Dorsett to pull up their socks.

The competition is infectious and will also be good for our other young forwards esp Baer.

And Rendulic I'm still waiting to see. 

The locker room must be electric this time of year.

7 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Rodin, Carcone (down the farm) I like that LaBate is pushing for a 4th line spot (his goal with a power move to the net) which will put a fire under Etem,Granlund, Burrows and Dorsett to pull up their socks.

The competition is infectious and will also be good for our other young forwards esp Baer.

curious about Rodin as well. seems like he's had a rough stretch where every time he gets an opportunity with the Canucks. he's injured. during the Gillis era when Rodin was playing in Chicago. didn't seem like he could stay healthy. and then prior to camp this year. he was dealing with an injury as well. so it's nice to see him do well so far. hope he stays healthy. that's partly what makes a career as well. 

8 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Tonight's game in Calgary- huge number of those guys on the bubble are playing. This is make or break for a lot of them. Here we go...

Lots of cuts to come after tonight!

10 hours ago, guntrix said:

Really liking Gaunce and Stetcher has definitely been a pleasant surprise. I too think Subban isn't being given a fair shake. His on-ice performances didn't warrant early cuts this year or last and I thought he played better than all defenders not named Edler and Stetcher. 

We gotta cut our losses and drop Etem already. I think everybody knows deep down that the guy is an impending bust. At this point in time, it would serve us better to finally give a guy like Gaunce his chance because he's drastically improved his flaws. Granlund is also looking like a major bust IMO. I can live with JB getting Etem because of what he cost but the thought of trading Shink for Granlund still makes my stomach turn.

Guys like Carcone and Labate were good surprises too but I feel like it's fourth line or bust for them. Not sure if we can realistically expect them to be mainstays with the main team this season.

I agree with your statement on Granlund. I think he'll be on the roster opening night but he'll have a very short leash.

11 hours ago, guntrix said:

Carcone looks better than Shinkaruk already, yet is smaller and younger.  We'll see how Hunter looks tonight, as hopefully he's been hitting the weight room otherwise at best he's going to be a fringe or specialty player.  As for Etem, I hadn't seen him play in junior or the AHL, but it's becoming evident his game won't translate to the NHL, so like Labate has done he's going to need to change it up.  He was talking in the offseason like he knew what he had to do -- be physical, take the puck to the net -- but so far he's still staying wide on the wall.  Worst-case he goes on waivers, and he helps Utica with no salary counting against the cap.

Granlund will make the team. He is our 4th line centre and can move up our lineup with an injury. He's not gonna be a 20 goal scorer but he will provide good depth to this organization.  He's much more useful to this team than Etem. Rodin can take Etem's spot and provide more scoring. If we need more sandpaper than we have Labate or Carcone. 

If Etem makes this team it's only because JB doesn't wanna lose him on waivers for nothing.  But at this point I don't care. He only cost us a career minor leaguer so let him go so we have room for Gaunce and either Carcone or Labate. 

17 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Carcone looks better than Shinkaruk already, yet is smaller and younger.  We'll see how Hunter looks tonight, as hopefully he's been hitting the weight room otherwise at best he's going to be a fringe or specialty player.  As for Etem, I hadn't seen him play in junior or the AHL, but it's becoming evident his game won't translate to the NHL, so like Labate has done he's going to need to change it up.  He was talking in the offseason like he knew what he had to do -- be physical, take the puck to the net -- but so far he's still staying wide on the wall.  Worst-case he goes on waivers, and he helps Utica with no salary counting against the cap.

16 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Granlund will make the team. He is our 4th line centre and can move up our lineup with an injury. He's not gonna be a 20 goal scorer but he will provide good depth to this organization.  He's much more useful to this team than Etem. Rodin can take Etem's spot and provide more scoring. If we need more sandpaper than we have Labate or Carcone. 

If Etem makes this team it's only because JB doesn't wanna lose him on waivers for nothing.  But at this point I don't care. He only cost us a career minor leaguer so let him go so we have room for Gaunce and either Carcone or Labate. 

Etem's got it in him to be a good bottom (maybe even middle) 6 player but he's going to have to bring more than he did last game. Still it's been one, early preseason game. Too early to write him off IMO.

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Etem's got it in him to be a good bottom (maybe even middle) 6 player but he's going to have to bring more than he did last game. Still it's been one, early preseason game. Too early to write him off IMO.

Agreed but hes getting pushed by Gaunce in a big way. Etem has all the tools but maybe the head is just not there. Gaunce might just bring more of what is needed for a 4th liner in the West.

Just now, garthsbutcher said:

Agreed but hes getting pushed by Gaunce in a big way. Etem has all the tools but maybe the head is just not there. Gaunce might just bring more of what is needed for a 4th liner in the West.

Being pushed by Gaunce, Skille etc and those guys are being pushed by Labate etc. Nice to see the competition :towel:

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

I agree with your statement on Granlund. I think he'll be on the roster opening night but he'll have a very short leash.

why would you think that?  He was excellent against Edmonton, certainly one of the best fwds for Van

Archived