The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Opening Roster - Finalized

Ossi Vaananen

On 30/09/2016 at 11:25 AM, stawns said:

I haven't heard anything about Shinks camp so far.......anyone have any info?

anyone know how canner has done in flas camp?  

not trying to spark anything up i like guddy just curious on his play with his extra 20+ pounds he's added to his frame.

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

It'd be nice to sneak Biega through while there is a tonne of guys on waivers. 

I've been thinking for a while now that they should waive Biega sooner rather than later due to his 1-way contract.

Right now it's not worth it for most teams to pick up a guy with a 1-way just to give him a look in preseason; whereas in a week or so, if a team knows they need a 6th-7th dman, he'll get picked up instantly. 

1 hour ago, Brad Marchand said:

Two things:

1) What happened to Brandon Gormley?

2) Who thought bringing Zack Stortini to camp would result in anything good happening?

umm what do either of those things have to do with the Canucks? :huh:

1 minute ago, Brad Marchand said:

Those names appeared in Renaud Lavoie's waivers tweets posted by VC along with Grenier and I just found it interesting.

Ah, gotchya. I don't know much about Gormley but I guess he is now officially a bust if he wasn't already considered one. 

What did Stortini do in camp? He was actually one of the few Oilers I liked back in the day. 

I want to see Rendulic in a nucks jersey at least one game. I think he can develope into a second/third line winger. He was a real grab.

On September 28, 2016 at 0:15 PM, captainhorvat said:

If his last name wasnt subban nobody would care that he got sent down early. Someone tell me why he deserves to stick around? Hes not even close on the depth chart. Dmen take longer to develop, best thing for him is to be buried in utica for awhile.

Plus 100!!!

No matter who gets cut at this point it's been a long time since a training camp has been this competitive and deep. Coaching and management are in a tough spot with some of these guys. Losing a player getting sent down is a draw back but that's where we're at. Some one will be out that we don't like loosing. 

I love Alex Biega, but I have a feeling he'll be exposed. With others simply bigger and looking better I think he'll be the first guy we loose.

7 hours ago, Rush17 said:

anyone know how canner has done in flas camp?  

not trying to spark anything up i like guddy just curious on his play with his extra 20+ pounds he's added to his frame.

Honestly, it seems like no one cares.  Florida fans' tact for explaining the trade as to claim Gudbranson was a poor player.  They've never really seemed to view McCann as anything special.  They view him as a 3rd liners.  He certainly isn't wowing them in the way that Stecher is here.

On 2016-09-28 at 10:10 AM, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Subban and Sautner cut before Stewart and McEneny? :huh: Seems backwards.

I don't think Subban is WD's style of player, but he'll get a bigger role in Utica this year and its up to him to round out his game and prove himself as a worthy call-up down the line. Its obvious management views Stecher as being ahead of him at this point, which shouldn't be a slight to Subban as Stecher is a year older, but it makes things a bit tougher for him competing for spots on the right side.

I don't think Sivan is any ones type of player in the Canucks organization . Others have pushed him down the depth chart, the writings on the wall. Not in Vancouver.  

8 hours ago, Rush17 said:

any other cuts. grenier will land with Detroit is my guess.  guy isn't ready to use his size.  he rubbed people in the borders last night but never actually hit someone.  

I'm ok with that. waive. good bye!

Detroit has 15 or 16 NHL forwards under contract. Plus Mantha, Svechnikov, Bertuzzi, Holmstrom & others among decent forward prospects.

They might like Grenier. They have no room.

1 hour ago, Madwolf said:

Stetcher should definitely make the team this year IMO. Unless Pedan comes in and wows, I'd give Stetcher the 8th spot.

I'd say sixth at least. He's got a maturity to his game that he peers (and frankly a few of the vets) lack and the ability to do something the Canucks have had a problem with since 2012: Keeping the puck in the offensive zone.

1 hour ago, Madwolf said:

I'd rather have him up than down. I think he played better than Larsen did thus far. 

As it stands right now, there's no way Stetcher beats out Larsen for a spot on opening night. We currently have Biega, Pedan, Larsen, Tryamkin and Sbisa competing for 4 positions. That means 1 of them already has to be exposed to waivers. It makes absolutely no sense waiving an additional defenseman to make room for Stetcher when he doesn't require waivers to be sent down and will only get better in Utica. I like Stetcher too, but Larsen also looks good and it simply comes down to asset management. 

1 hour ago, aqua59 said:

I don't think Sivan is any ones type of player in the Canucks organization . Others have pushed him down the depth chart, the writings on the wall. Not in Vancouver.  

........ :huh:

Archived