The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hansen out 4-6 weeks with fractured ribs

Apricot

Can't argue with that, but my point is that stretching and fitness won't help some of these injuries. I do advocate for peak fitness levels and never discourage stretching, but it's difficult to criticize what the trainers are doing if we don't really know what they're actually doing.

FML if last year's injury plague continues all season.

24 minutes ago, Green Building said:

In this Hansen specific thread I'd wager no perfect combo of fitness and stretching exists that would've allowed Hansen to absorb that awkward looking hit. Tanev has a bone bruise, and Edler, well we don't really know yet do we.

I'd like to have a healthier team, but sometimes it's just bad bad luck.

Bad puck possession teams get injuries. 

2 minutes ago, luckylager said:

JV's time to shine? What was I thinking, Burr will play with the twins again, Loui on 2nd.

That was a close one. If you actually delved into more detail about JV's increased role on the team... I'd have to say that you would need to get your head checked.

Obviously WD knows what he's doing...

1 minute ago, Green Building said:

I haven't played hockey for a little while yet I'm injured right now, it happens. 

Of course, anyone can get injured at any time. However you gotta admit,  it's quite the coincidence. Our Possession numbers go down and injuries go up. Injuries go up and possession numbers go down even more because of the lower quality players as replacements. This is the beginning of the snowball effect that happened last year. We don't have the organizational depth to stop the bleeding. Good possession players don't get injuries. See the Sedins as an example. 

15 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Having a guy like Pedan on our roster may reduce the injuries our other players get...   If you know what i mean.....

I know you hate Burrows but Burrows and every other player we have brings more value than Pedan. 

Games like yesterday are few and far between. We're not going to dress our #9 defenseman at forward just because he's tough. There's really no scenario where Pedan sees NHL action this year.

18 minutes ago, luckylager said:

JV's time to shine? What was I thinking, Burr will play with the twins again, Loui on 2nd.

I could see Sutter with the Sedins and Granlund back at C and Virtanen either with Horvat or Granlund.

6 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Of course, anyone can get injured at any time. However you gotta admit,  it's quite the coincidence. Our Possession numbers go down and injuries go up. Injuries go up and possession numbers go down even more because of the lower quality players as replacements. This is the beginning of the snowball effect that happened last year. We don't have the organizational depth to stop the bleeding. Good possession players don't get injuries. See the Sedins as an example. 

I haven't actually looked into possession #'s and how they may have correlated with injuries over the last few seasons, but if some of your top players go down and you have multiple stop gap or under-qualified players slotted in at the same time it increases the work load of the more dependable players, and then by default the risk for them to become injured increases as their minutes are increased.

Are we arguing the same thing but in a roundabout way? Perhaps. I agree with the lack of depth to sustain this many injuries, but few teams could.

Daniel Sedin broke his foot in 2009 while playing fantastic possession hockey. 

I can't believe Hansen had the whereabouts to even get up from the nasty high blind-side hit by Reilly. Then to be the one to get revenge on Kadri right after that, very strong team toughness on his part. This has to be a concussion after that hit. Hopefully he gets better soon.

38 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I think that word is out that the Canucks can be exposed if you come down hard on them physically.  Hell, even the Leafs tried it.  

31 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Can't argue with that, but my point is that stretching and fitness won't help some of these injuries. I do advocate for peak fitness levels and never discourage stretching, but it's difficult to criticize what the trainers are doing if we don't really know what they're actually doing.

FML if last year's injury plague continues all season.

Sorry Crab, I don't know why it didn't quote you earlier, this post was meant as a response to you.

2 minutes ago, Green Building said:

I haven't actually looked into possession #'s and how they may have correlated with injuries over the last few seasons, but if some of your top players go down and you have multiple stop gap or under-qualified players slotted in at the same time it increases the work load of the more dependable players, and then by default the risk for them to become injured increases as their minutes are increased.

Are we arguing the same thing but in a roundabout way? Perhaps. I agree with the lack of depth to sustain this many injuries, but few teams could.

Daniel Sedin broke his foot in 2009 while playing fantastic possession hockey. 

Dont get me wrong man it's not like only bad possession players get injuries. A freak accident to a key player or 2 and suddenly it starts multiplying itself pretty quickly. it happened to the Oilers and Sabres every season. You gotta have the depth to stay on the attack. Even the injuries we have now probably have little to do with possession (haven't really looked into it) but if the theory plays true the team will start to wear down from defending more than attacking because key players are injured. 

Its the analytics of injuries so you gotta take it with a grain of salt. 

4 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Sorry Crab, I don't know why it didn't quote you earlier, this post was meant as a response to you.

No worries Green.  

I think that Benning made sure he had some toughness on the back end this year. He has a physical guy on every pair and a faster player on every pair.  

As for the front end, maybe next year.

And I agree with you about the fitness and flexibilty.  It's done wonders for me and I'm an old frack who only plays golf these days :)

Archived