The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks slow starts are a failure of coaching

*Buzzsaw*

32 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Yeah, still waiting on one of the outspoken, protesting armchairs to step up.

One 's'all' posting a video of the trap, as comical as that is, doesn't qualify.

How about you "step up"? You like to claim how much smarter you are, but never seem to actually post any of this brilliance of yours. Please enlighten us, how is producing the worst offence in the league a smart strategy? 

3 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

What's worse is that Doug Jarvis is implementing these systems..If WD goes,and Jarvis is here,I'd say its pretty much more of the same....Everybody's scoring has gone off a cliff.

Its not the system I have a problem with. It's the only one we could attempt.  But we still don't have the team for it.

2 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

How about you "step up"? You like to claim how much smarter you are, but never seem to actually post any of this brilliance of yours. Please enlighten us, how is producing the worst offence in the league a smart strategy? 

Because it's not a strategy we're a one line rebuilding team shut down the Sedin/Eriksson line and you'll allow between 0-1 GA and likely win a "close" game. 

The shots are there, defence and goaltenders are playing well we're just not generating high percentage shots cause beyond the Sedins and Loui we have 3 Lines of bottom 6 players and Bo. 

5 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

What we are seeing as a common characteristic throughout this season are very slow starts for the Canucks.

We can't score first, we can't score in the first period, and most worryingly, we get scored on early... often in the first minute.

Other teams are very much aware of the Canucks weakness early... teams are told 'Canucks are shaky early', 'they can't score goals', 'get one early and the game is over'....  you can see it in every opponent... they come very hard and fast and just like Detroit, they are often rewarded.

And once the first goal happens, it sets the tone of the game... Canucks are fighting an uphill battle.

There is absolutely no excuse for the team giving up goals in the first 30 seconds or minute.  Any decently coached team should be able to weather the first few minutes of a game without conceding a goal.  Everyone is fresh, the coach can start his best defense pairing and best shutdown line, the instructions of the coaching staff should be clear.

So why are the Canucks consistently allowing goals early?

Sorry, but the blame has to be laid at the feet of the coaching staff and in particular Willie Desjardins.  If things don't change very soon, he should be replaced.

Source for that bolded line please else it's just your speculative opinion.  

Yeah, the players aren't responsible for being ready to play a game that they are paid more in one year than some people make in 20 years...  

e22892.gif

14 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I was referring to games up to and including the islanders game (the last of which being the most questionable). Admittedly I had to pvr Detroit and nyr and didn't end up watching the game vs the Rangers.  Up to the isles game he had less ozone starts than sutter or henrik while still being our top scorer not on the the top line.  Just seems counterintuitive to offence production.

and imo 5th in pp minutes is simply not enough, again, based on what he has produced so far.  As @LaBamba has said and I agree with; there is no threat from the point which is what the sedins need for their cycle to work.  I'd rather see Bo with more pp minutes down low and or power moves to net presence, than an inept cycle that dies at the blue line.

sutter has all but disappeared and I'm not going to get into LE.

I don't agree regarding Sutter, but I've already made numerous posts about that.

If anyone has disappeared, it's Baertschi - they need him to hit the smelling salts hard - and that would probably make it easier for WD to boost Horvat's minutes as well, given that's his primary winger, and he's the vacant Baertschi we saw at the start of last season.   Bo is carrying him again.

5 hours ago, 'NucK™ said:

It's cause the boys are nervous as hell playing under Willie.. only when they get their legs going that they can tune out the unnecessary pressure put on them by WD and just play the game.

I don't know much, but I do know when somebody has no idea what they are talking about

Just now, oldnews said:

I don't agree regarding Sutter, but I've already made numerous posts about that.

If anyone has disappeared, it's Baertschi - they need him to hit the smelling salts hard - and that would probably make it easier for WD to boost Horvat's minutes as well, given that's his primary winger, and he's the vacant Baertschi we saw at the start of last season.   Bo is carrying him again.

I can certainly agree on Sven.  And at risk of sounding hopelessly lost in negativity, I wonder if he can perform any better with the consistency required.  He seems to be as advertised.

5 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Sorry, but the blame has to be laid at the feet of the coaching staff and in particular Willie Desjardins. ...

Why? Are you just saying this, or do you have actual reasons for why coaching decisions have led to the things you were talking about rather than those things being the fault of players?

16 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

you really gotta work on reading bro. Olddog eloquently set the table with a very detailed and logical response to all of you Sportsnet watching, "mom I'm hungry, when is supper" folk who think you can coach from your drab, musky smelling basement. 

3 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

you really gotta work on reading bro. Olddog eloquently set the table with a very detailed and logical response to all of you Sportsnet watching, "mom I'm hungry, when is supper" folk who think you can coach from your drab, musky smelling basement. 

You're a pinprick, but (I must admit) you get me laughing - with your cutting humour.:lol:

8 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I can certainly agree on Sven.  And at risk of sounding hopelessly lost in negativity, I wonder if he can perform any better with the consistency required.  He seems to be as advertised.

Yeah I don't know - he came out of it last year, but seems to have regressed again.  WD is showing a lot of patience in him - again - but there comes a point where it's squarely on Baertschi and he's going to have to step up or move over.  Luckily for him, Rodin was injured and Etem didn't progress, but the patience only goes so far.

7 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Why? Are you just saying this, or do you have actual reasons for why coaching decisions have led to the things you were talking about rather than those things being the fault of players?

They are playing an EXTREMELY PASSIVE 1-2-2.  And off the rush we look to be thinking defence first, as guys hang back, or turn to play defence, even on scoring chances.  The structure is CLEARLY defensive.  

Archived