The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dorsett to undergo neck surgery; out for the rest of the season

cuporbust

1 minute ago, VIC_CITY said:

I agree that he didn't stand in his recent call up but I would still like to see him get an extended look. IMO he is the closest thing we have to a Dorsett replacement and I don't think we've seen nearly enough of him to come to any kind of conclusion. 

The only other alternative I can think of would be Grenier and come to think of it, he probably deserves it more. Plus this is probably his last chance at proving he can be an NHL player. So maybe go with Grenier?

Grenier is a big softie though so I agree with you that Labate is a much better replacement for Dorsett. I just think it's stupid the icetime that WD is giving some of these guys... 3-5 minutes a game??? Completely kills your groove and doesn't even allow any sort of momentum when youre on the bench 10 minutes between every shift 

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Labate just got his chance. He deserves it too after the training camp he had. 

Put him in and see what he can do. 

Why not Grenier though? He seems to have earned a shot as well. I'd like to see him over Megna and see what he can do. 

2 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

WD is not going to give him more than 5 minutes a game though so kinda crazy to expect him to replace Dorsett

In less than 15 minutes over 3 games he managed to get in 4 hits, get in a fight, and be a +1. 

Sure he may not be the next coming of Odjick, but there was enough signs in those three games that says he can be an effective fourth liner if the coach trusts him. The problem is Willie doesn't reward players like him for good play, he only punishes them when games get tight. We might as well not even have a fourth line some nights with the way he deploys them.

1 hour ago, logic said:

Sounds like it could be a season ender :/

I really like what the guy brings to the table even if he is a bit pricey. Hope surgery goes well! 

Interesting tho it does open a spot for a young guy to take a run.

Yep. darren dreger just confirmed he is out for the season. Also said its an issue that he has been dealing with for 5-6 years 

8 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Why not Grenier though? He seems to have earned a shot as well. I'd like to see him over Megna and see what he can do. 

I think Grenier is still under the impression that he can be a top 6 scorer, so he hasn't really adapted his game.

Labate deserves a ton of credit for how he has evolved as a player. At a certain point in college I think he realized he wasn't going to make it as a top 6 player, so he adapted his game and started playing more physical. To me that shows a player that is willing to do whatever it takes to make the NHL.

When Labate is on he's a physical presence that backs up his play and stands up for teammates. He needs more than three games to get going though. He was probably still in awe his first few games. I say put him with some consistent linemates, give him a clearly defined role and see what he can do.

Just now, DeNiro said:

I think Grenier is still under the impression that he can be a top 6 scorer, so he hasn't really adapted his game.

Labate deserves a ton of credit for how he has evolved as a player. At a certain point in college I think he realized he wasn't going to make it as a top 6 player, so he adapted his game and started playing more physical. To me that show a player that is willing to do whatever it takes to make the NHL.

When Labate is on he's a physical presence that backs up his play and stands up for teammates. He needs more than three games though to get going though. He was probably still in awe his first few games. I say put him with some consistent linemates, give him a clearly defined role and see what he can do.

You are assuming WD gives guys clear roles, and direction, no? 

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

In less than 15 minutes over 3 games he managed to get in 4 hits, get in a fight, and be a +1. 

Sure he may not be the next coming of Odjick, but there was enough signs in those three games that says he can be an effective fourth liner if the coach trusts him. The problem is Willie doesn't reward players like him for good play, he only punishes them when games get tight. We might as well not even have a fourth line some nights with the way he deploys them.

I totally agree with all of that - but my point was the exact problem that you mention. WD has no trust in rookies which is why it's stupid under this coach to say that any of those guys can replace Dorsett. I tried to avoid saying it outright so that people wouldn't start yelling at me for bashing Willie lol

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Labate deserves a ton of credit for how he has evolved as a player. At a certain point in college I think he realized he wasn't going to make it as a top 6 player, so he adapted his game and started playing more physical. To me that show a player that is willing to do whatever it takes to make the NHL.

When Labate is on he's a physical presence that backs up his play and stands up for teammates. He needs more than three games though to get going though. He was probably still in awe his first few games. I say put him with some consistent linemates, give him a clearly defined role and see what he can do.

Ah didn't realize that about AG. It is great when guys embrace a bottom 6 role and run with it. 

I was wondering if we'd see Laplante at some point as well - when he was signed he was talked about as a smaller version of Lapierre. 

I love that Dorsett brings his lunch pail every game and works hard. He is definitely a valuable 3rd/4th line type. I think his contract sucks though for what he is and I don't like that Desjardins seems to think he might be the answer to solve dried up top 6 or pp scoring at times. Used in the right role he is awesome. Used above his pay grade consistently by Desjardins though means I am ok with a young guy getting a chance this year to step in.

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

Ah didn't realize that about AG. It is great when guys embrace a bottom 6 role and run with it. 

I was wondering if we'd see Laplante at some point as well - when he was signed he was talked about as a smaller version of Lapierre. 

That's why Grenier is one of our most frustrating prospects IMO.

He has all the physical tools to be a good player at this level he just can't put them together consistently. He's able to mix it up and drop the gloves, he just doesn't. And I think it comes down to him not understanding how he's going to make the next level. It' not going to be as a top 6 at this point.

From everything I've seen and heard Laplante has kind of been a disappointment so far. I had hopes for him being a future fourth liner for us but I'm not so sure now. I think we see Archibald getting a contract and a call up before Laplante at this point.

21 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

WD is not going to give him more than 5 minutes a game though so kinda crazy to expect him to replace Dorsett

It's a trust thing coaches whose job is to win and not to develop young players are always hesitant to play young players.

You really gotta play extra hard over the trusted veteran to get in the coach's good books.

Some coaches more than others like Willie D still can't trust young players even when they have proven to be reliable like Bo Horvat.

2 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

It's a trust thing coaches whose job is to win and not to develop young players are always hesitant to play young players.

You really gotta play extra hard over the trusted veteran to get in the coach's good books.

Some coaches more than others like Willie D still can't trust young players even when they have proven to be reliable like Bo Horvat.

= wrong coach for a team like ours if that is true.

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

= wrong coach for a team like ours if that is true.

The problem is we're in tough to win most nights even when our team is fresh. 

Playing 36 year old players 22-25 minutes every night is not a recipe for success over the course of a season. The fourth line needs to munch minutes in order to keep the rest of the guys fresh.

If he doesn't trust the fourth line, make a change. Don't keep playing them 5-6 minutes a night and wonder why the rest of the team looks more tired than the other team.

25 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Labate deserves a ton of credit for how he has evolved as a player. At a certain point in college I think he realized he wasn't going to make it as a top 6 player, so he adapted his game and started playing more physical. To me that shows a player that is willing to do whatever it takes to make the NHL.

When Labate is on he's a physical presence that backs up his play and stands up for teammates. He needs more than three games to get going though. He was probably still in awe his first few games. I say put him with some consistent linemates, give him a clearly defined role and see what he can do.

Perhaps being in the minors isn't helping Grenier to a certain extent, because when he's there, he is actually expected to produce for Utica at a top 6 (even top 3) guy; and he isn't the one out there being a physical presence or standing up for his teammates.  If he's never given the chance in Vancouver, when exactly is he going to learn how to do that? 

Labate's a bit if a different situation, as he's never scored at any significant level of hockey, so he probably knew his role, or what would be the only role he could perform, years ago when he was likely even still in college.

Archived