The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dorsett to undergo neck surgery; out for the rest of the season

cuporbust

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

The problem is we're in tough to win most nights even when our team is fresh. 

Playing 36 year old players 22-25 minutes every night is not a recipe for success over the course of a season. The fourth line needs to munch minutes in order to keep the rest of the guys fresh.

If he doesn't trust the fourth line, make a change. Don't keep playing them 5-6 minutes a night and wonder why the rest of the team looks more tired than the other team.

Well then, I guess it's a good thing we aren't playing anyone over the age of 30 more than 20 minutes a night every night. Edler (currently 30, not over 30) is at 23 minutes a night, but beyond that it's Hutton, Stecher, Tanev and Gudbranson as the only other players above 20 minutes a night. After that, even Sutter is ahead of the Sedins in ice time.

Now, if you want to talk about the last few games, I still don't see a bunch of our older players playing 22-25 minutes a night. Here's a rundown of the last four games:

• Toronto: Henrik (22:01), Daniel (20:07)
  • Anaheim: Henrik (21:00), Daniel (20:55)
  • Minnesota: Henrik (20:59), Daniel (20:13)
  • Colorado: Henrik (22:49), Daniel (19:03)

Sure, Henrik plays a bit more as a center, but he's still averaging less than 22 even when we have our top two defencemen out. As we get healthy his minutes will go back down a little. Same goes for Sutter, who had a 24+ minute night in there and has generally had the same or more than Henrik. Horvat's had his fair share those games as well, obviously getting a little less because of his linemates 5 on 5.

It's no secret he's played the 4th line less though, your right on that, but Chaput and Megna both played over 11 minutes against Anaheim, and around 13 minutes against Colorado. Skille and Gaunce have still been playing less, but Gaunce only had less than 7 minutes once in those four games, and Skille less than 6 minutes only once as well.

But as for Dorsett, it's too bad for him it's flared up bad enough to require surgery. Out the whole season is a rough outcome for any athlete. At least he has a positive recovery prognosis where he should be fine by next year.

As has been mentioned, we're at about $500K in cap space, so we may make some moves to be as close to the cap as possible before we put Dorsett on LTI. We might be able to use it later in the year, maybe not so much to bring in a rental, but rather to bring back some cap in a deal that could help us get prospects/draft picks. 

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

What is the over/under that the team exposes Baertschi, Rodin, and Granlund to keep a protection spot for Dorsett? I actually think if he is healthy they will protect him.

I'll take that bet wallstreet - are you serious?  You can't be.

5 hours ago, oldnews said:

53.3% corsi - forechecking like he meant it, creating havoc, motoring around and setting an example/standard of effort.

Love the intensity he brings.  He'll be missed.  I hope he recovers fully - neck surgery - hope it's not as serous as it sounds.

I hate CORSI and I hate that he was eating a roster spot that could be filled by a younger player.

I wish him a successful surgery and a speedy recovery but if he never played another game in a Canucks jersey I'd be fine with that too.

1 minute ago, NEON.KNEE said:

I hate CORSI and I hate that he was eating a roster spot that could be filled by a younger player.

I wish him a successful surgery and a speedy recovery but if he never played another game in a Canucks jersey I'd be fine with that too.

Don't we want guys like Dorsett around our young guys though?  He's a gamer, who stands up for his teammates.  If we had a younger player who did all he does, then yes I would love to see that guy in there.  But do we have that guy?  JV could play that role, if he would bring it every shift.

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Don't we want guys like Dorsett around our young guys though?  He's a gamer, who stands up for his teammates.  If we had a younger player who did all he does, then yes I would love to see that guy in there.  But do we have that guy?  JV could play that role, if he would bring it every shift.

Dorsett dosn't bring it every shft and is well beyond his potential and is playing in the attic, well past his ceiling.  

I dont remember him sticking up for JV when that career AHL'er from Jersey baptised him.  What is worse than a "tough guy" that picks his fights.

3 minutes ago, NEON.KNEE said:

Dorsett dosn't bring it every shft and is well beyond his potential and is playing in the attic, well past his ceiling.  

I dont remember him sticking up for JV when that career AHL'er from Jersey baptised him.  What is worse than a "tough guy" that picks his fights.

I can see you don't care for Dorsett's game.  Well, he's probably done now anyway.  Maybe Labate will step up?  

Just now, Alflives said:

I can see you don't care for Dorsett's game.  Well, he's probably done now anyway.  Maybe Labate will step up?  

In that Nov. Leafs game instead of fighting Martin he fought Leo Komarov?  Yea Komarov is a pest, but he should have fought Martin...That was it for me right there.

Bring in any kid from Utica who is willing to take one for the team, they can do just as much offensively as Dorsett.

Just now, NEON.KNEE said:

In that Nov. Leafs game instead of fighting Martin he fought Leo Komarov?  Yea Komarov is a pest, but he should have fought Martin...That was it for me right there.

Bring in any kid from Utica who is willing to take one for the team, they can do just as much offensively as Dorsett.

If JV would play the role, he could be that Utica guy.  He's heavy, and super fast.  I think he fights as a lefty too, which can catch some guys off guard. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If JV would play the role, he could be that Utica guy.  He's heavy, and super fast.  I think he fights as a lefty too, which can catch some guys off guard. 

I don't want Jake to be that guy...I want him to be Chris Kreider or Lucic in his prime...Bertuzzi if there is a god.  Jake needs to stay in Utica all season, regadless of how well he plays and should only fight in a situation like that Nov. Leafs game where someone needed to tune Martin in.

41 minutes ago, NEON.KNEE said:

It was also Martin who was a big pu55y and jumped Stetcher, the smallest guy on both benches, behind the play. So really was it that bad that Dorsett fought someone around his weight class, where as Guddy could step up and take Martin. And Gudbranson and Tryamkin were on the bench when that POS jumped Stetcher, knowing there wasnt anyone big or tough on the ice that could step up to him.

Archived