The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Jets @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

11 hours ago, mll said:

Burrows took the mea culpa for the Laine goal saying he played it too aggressively.  

Played it too aggressive...more like showed zero hustle on the back check. I'm not sure Burrows or Horvat were even past centre on the back check when the puck was in the net. 

Horvat sure looked disinterested on the defensive side of the game last night. Terrible game for him. 

10 hours ago, oldnews said:

Shoulda kept McCann, drafted Ehlers instead, kept the 3rd instead of Dorsett, drafted a puck mover instead of Tryamkin - that woulda made the difference.

Instead Benning has made the team softer at every turn.   You make a real good point.

Yes, all true.  More importantly though JB should have targeted a UFA forward to help in this regard instead of the 6 by 6 given to Loui.

36 minutes ago, riffraff said:

So many posters use this ref excuse when it comes to accountability.  What  cop out!. Who cares about penalties this year?  Send a message. Build a culture and an identity.  This team has been soft and ref dependent for over a decade.

yes, I was just behind the players bench last night.

Hardest thing to watch was Laine, obviously a great player that we would love to have. That said, I really wanted someone to give him a hard ride. After getting into it a bit with Hutton, a least 3 jets skated by and warned Ben. A while later when Laine was in Huttons face again, Ben refused to make eye contact and seemed sheepish as he skated away. By the end of the game I even noticed him giving a little slash to Skille's ankle as he headed off on a change (Skille didn't know who did it). 

This kid is what, 18? I know the Jets would have gone crazy, but he needed to be put in his place and the Nucks had no answer.

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Hardest thing to watch was Laine, obviously a great player that we would love to have. That said, I really wanted someone to give him a hard ride. After getting into it a bit with Hutton, a least 3 jets skated by and warned Ben. A while later when Laine was in Huttons face again, Ben refused to make eye contact and seemed sheepish as he skated away. By the end of the game I even noticed him giving a little slash to Skille's ankle as he headed off on a change (Skille didn't know who did it). 

This kid is what, 18? I know the Jets would have gone crazy, but he needed to be put in his place and the Nucks had no answer.

An 18 year old rookie drilled our team captain in our barn with zero response.

says it all. Again.  

Quite pathetic really.

10 hours ago, oldnews said:

Shoulda kept McCann, drafted Ehlers instead, kept the 3rd instead of Dorsett, drafted a puck mover instead of Tryamkin - that woulda made the difference.

Instead Benning has made the team softer at every turn.   You make a real good point.

Or just don't trade Forsling for a guy that really never played here, or in Pittsburgh/Edmonton/AHL and where ever else he's been in the past few years. 

16 minutes ago, chickenman92 said:

Played it too aggressive...more like showed zero hustle on the back check. I'm not sure Burrows or Horvat were even past centre on the back check when the puck was in the net. 

Horvat sure looked disinterested on the defensive side of the game last night. Terrible game for him. 

WD put the blame on Baer on that one - he talked of the 3rd F high in his post-game.

Gif from Botchford in the Provies:

whiteboard.gif?w=1358&h=765

12 hours ago, Incursio said:

Pretty brutal game overall.

I know it's not fair to single guys out, but man, it would sure be nice to see Eriksson do something in a game like this.

I keep telling it like it is, Eriksson was a terrible signing by ole Jimbo.... no one wants to believe it. 

If you keep watching, you will have no choice but to believe it.

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

They have more than 10 players on that roster that are over 6'3 200lbs. And have like four 6'5 215+ players (Laine, Byfuglien, Wheeler).

We are no match for them. Canucks needed to avoid being physical. Our only tough guy tonight was Hansen and he only played half of the game. Tram was the only heavyweight on the ice. Sure could have used Pedan last night.

41 minutes ago, Kokanee king said:

i found it interesting when i heard that Tram has been told his entire career not to take penalties and the canucks are telling him to take penalties when necessary.

he use to say sorry to people for taking penalties. we need to get him to hang our with Chara in the off seasons. 

he is going to be a beast and better than Chara!

At the very least he'll be a Marick Malik or Hal Gill. Which isn't that bad. Any team can use a mountain back on D. 

22 minutes ago, riffraff said:

says it all. Again.  

Quite pathetic really.

No one touching kadri or matthews in the toronto rematch said it all too.  The gudbranson/martin fight should have been the bare minimum in payback we should have seen, but instead it was the only thing we got!  That was a really disappointing response from the canucks that game.  I expected to see kadri on his ass at least once!

26 minutes ago, appleboy said:

This idea that a player who is picked at 6th must be a top line player is funny. Lets say Virtanen becomes a 3rd line winger and plays a physical two way game. Then Boeser becomes a top line scoring winger. Both players end up bringing valuable skill sets to a competitive team.

Will anyone give two *** where they were drafted. Virtanen may never be a first line player but has other NHL skills that are very valuable. Big wingers with the wheels the he has are very hard to find and take longer to develop.

The fans suffered through a crappy season to get that #6 overall pick... so yeah I'd like us to hit on that pick!  This team is lacking elite skill more than they are lacking toughness.  The teams winning in todays NHL have elite skill at all 3 positions and solid depth at all positions.  We are lacking this.  We are hoping that Boeser will be an elite forward, Juolevi will be an elite D man and Demko will be an elite Goalie.  That is the hope.  We will just have to be patient and wait.  I don't buy the argument that we lose because we aren't tough.  We lose because we lack skill and our elite skilled forwards in the Sedins are past their prime.  We have some great pieces for the future in Horvat, Hutton, Stecher, but we are rebuilding.  Do I care if Virtanen never becomes a 1st line player and peaks at a 3rd liner?  Of course I do.  If Ehlers ends up a perennial top scorer in the NHL I'll be pissed.  Why?... because my favourite team needs to hit on all their draft picks to build a championship team.  I don't know about you but I'm sick of being cupless.  Does it matter where they are drafted?  Of course not.  I'll take a Norris trophy D man in the second round.  Unfortunately other then Pavel Bure and Sedins the Canucks have never drafted elite skill in any round.  I want a Stanley Cup and nothing else matters.

31 minutes ago, riffraff said:

says it all. Again.  

Quite pathetic really.

Yah this was the most bothersome thing from last night for me, no pushback after this whatsoever. Oh well at least Tanev gave Laine a stern talking to. 

18 minutes ago, Odd. said:

They have more than 10 players on that roster that are over 6'3 200lbs. And have like four 6'5 215+ players (Laine, Byfuglien, Wheeler).

We are no match for them. Canucks needed to avoid being physical. Our only tough guy tonight was Hansen and he only played half of the game. Tram was the only heavyweight on the ice. Sure could have used Pedan last night.

I agree. And what frustrates me is that it isn't like Pedan is some talentless goon - he is a decent hockey player. Not a guy who can make it on his skill alone, but at close to .5PPG and +17 last year he brings more than fists. His positioning and puck carrying need work but he has all of the tools. At the end of the day, the drop off in skill between Biega or Skille and Pedan is pretty much nothing, but Pedan brings an X factor that they other two don't. Sure I would rather have Biega or Skille on the ice over Pedan during a playoff overtime game but the upside of Pedan just seems far greater to me right now given the team isn't going to make the playoffs anyway. Even if they were on the cusp, swapping Pedan for Biega would make little to no difference. 

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

:wacko:  kos doesn't like the Tryamkin pick lol.  that about says it all.

Tryamkin is focused on being a responsible player at NHL speeds this year. Once he's comfortable, he'll learn how to level guys like no player we've had before imo. But its going to take a year or two more I would think. 

Archived