The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

I am thinking that his injuries slow down his development........he was projected to bottom 6 forward anyway?

It's starting to seem that way. His shoulder injuries were pretty significant IIRC... add that to a lack of strength from being unable to work out and I think he's been hesitant to take contact, hence the lack of production.

Anyone think the Canucks will re-sign him though? He's still only 21.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know anything about how he has been doing since the NHL became unlocked?

He seems to be the forgotten man on the Wolves.

He hasn't played a lot of games since the lock-out ended due to being at the Canucks camp, and then all-star break.

He did get an assist tonight.

He didn't play a lot because he's been scratched many times this year.

The little I have seen he seems to be a perimeter player. Makes me wonder if he should go back to Europe and hope to sifn with a SEL team. Whatever confidence he had is probably gone.

The little I have seen he seems to be a perimeter player. Makes me wonder if he should go back to Europe and hope to sifn with a SEL team. Whatever confidence he had is probably gone.

You're probably right. I would hate to see the team give up on such a young player. He was developing well before the shoulder injury, which has set him back big time. He needs some time to adapt his game and regain his confidence. I still think it is better for him to stay with the Wolves and learn the NA style of hockey.

Rodin could be such a good player. Dono if the AHL is best for his development though. He's one of those players that does well when he has the puck and some time with it. I hope he can play with jensen next year if jensen plays in the A. They would work well together. He's a top 6 forward, but only if he's playing with the right guys, can't do it himself or with the likes of our top 6 in the A. Has he played with Schoerder in the A seems like he would do well with a playmaker...

I really hope this guy pans out to be a great player in the next 2-3 years. Once he get's healthy and gets that hunger to play in the NHL again. Needs that chip on his shoulder if he wants to succeed just like hansen plays fast hits hard, stays in the rules though.

In hindsight, it may have been better for him to stay over in Sweden until he was more physically developed. He's much too small right now to handle the punishing play of the AHL.

He may have benefited more from developing his strength and skill in a league that focuses more on skill.

Oh well, hopefully he can still develop into an NHLer one day. He has the skillset, he just needs to add some strength and confidence to his game.

I'm told that our agreement with the Wolves is up after this year. I think that is a really positive thing as I don't really like what has been going on with our young players developmentally since we were forced out of the Manitoba relationship. Atlanta was never really happy with the Wolves either I have heard, and I'm really hoping we move on after this year. Our kids are stagnating there at the expense of Wolves signee veterans in my opinion and for this reason I find it hard to really get a handle on the true skill level of someone like Anton Rodin because I suspect the 'Wolves factor' may be makings things look worse than they are.

Edited by Keke Mortson's helmet

I'm told that our agreement with the Wolves is up after this year. I think that is a really positive thing as I don't really like what has been going on with our young players developmentally since we were forced out of the Manitoba relationship. Atlanta was never really happy with the Wolves either I have heard, and I'm really hoping we move on after this year. Our kids are stagnating there at the expense of Wolves signee veterans in my opinion and for this reason I find it hard to really get a handle on the true skill level of someone like Anton Rodin because I suspect the 'Wolves factor' may be makings things look worse than they are.

Any idea who we could be targeting as a farm team for next season and further? I remember reading about the Aquilini's looking into buying out Abbotsford Sports Entertainment but could that happen as soon as this summer?

Gotta agree. Andersson is really the only Canucks prospect who has truly flourished this season with the Wolves. Schroeder was a top 6 regular but that kind of goes without saying, given he's been a top 2 centre in the AHL the last few seasons so the Wolves don't really get any credit there. Rodin has been given regular PP time but doesn't play a big role at even strength and the rest of the Canucks D prospects have had their roles diminished since last season.

I think we have to remember that the Canucks don't have a group of prospects that are going to absolutely WOW AHL coaches either. For some guys like Rodin, they haven't done enough to deserve more opportunities but for the most part, it's clear that the Canucks' prospects held more favor with McTavish last year than Arniel this year and thus have had their roles reduced, like I mentioned. I'm generally speak of three defensemen: Connauton, Sauve and Polasek.

Edited by NuxFan09

Atlanta didn't like the Chicago Wolves organization because they had their own everything, own coach with his own system, and there was no synergy between the minor league team and NHL team. It was run too much as an independent franchise.

The Canucks got their own coaching staff in there, but it seems like it's still run too much like an independent franchise. A quick count of their roster and 14 players are Canucks property.

The more I think about it, though, the more I realize that there is only so much Scott Arniel and the Wolves can do. I mean, take a look at all the Canucks have down in Chicago:

Anton Rodin

Alex Friesen

Kevin Connauton

Peter Andersson

Adam Polasek

Joe Cannata

Rodin has maybe been a bit under-used but at the same time is struggling with consistency and the physicality, even at the AHL level. After all is said and done, he's a skill player so he could benefit from a chance on the top line with Haydar and Gordon but given his lack of production you can't fault the coaching staff for using him more sparingly. He also does have a plum spot on the first PP unit so the coaching staff is seemingly still trying to make use of his skill to some degree.

Alex Friesen is being used as a 4th line centre and really, what more did we expect from him this season? He was always projected to be a bottom line role playing center anyway and this is his rookie season in the AHL to boot. Unless he was providing more offense, this seems like an appropriate role for him at this point. He's probably capable of bumping Stefan Schneider on the centre depth chart but that's about it.

Kevin Connauton perhaps has an argument for unfair treatment. He was used on the top pairing and top PP unit last year by McTavish and this year has bumped down a level in all situations. He regularly plays on the 2nd pairing, or even 3rd pairing at even strength and on the 2nd PP unit. Because of his defensive deficiencies, I don't necessarily have an issue with his role 5 on 5 but with his offensive tools he should be a mainstay on the 1st PP unit.

Peter Andersson has been a success this season and yes, it's in part because of the coaching staff in fact rewarding him with the opportunities. This is his rookie season in the AHL and he was obviously used more sparingly to begin the season but he has gained the coaching staff's trust as evidenced by his regular spot on the top defense pairing now. Guys like Hunt or Matheson could be playing ahead of him now, but no, the Wolves regularly put their faith in him. He probably deserves a look over Matheson on the 2nd PP unit, though.

Adam Polasek is a guy I can't really comment on. Didn't watch a lot of the Wolves at the beginning of the season and when I did start paying more attention he was with the Wings in the ECHL. The most I can say is that Polasek maybe deserves more of a look on the third pairing than he's getting but hasn't outplayed any of the top 5 of Andersson, Joslin, Connauton, Hunt and Matheson so there's really no complaint to be had about him getting a bigger opportunity than that of a bottom pairing defenseman.

Joe Cannata is getting his chance to play regularly now only because of the injuries to both Chicago's goalies (Lack and Climie) and has fortunately made the most of his opportunities by playing lights out, although he has looked more ordinary in his last two games in which he has allowed 3 goals in each. When both Lack and Climie are healthy, there's really no argument against him playing in the ECHL. He might as well get the playing time. Cannata was underused, however, when Lack got injured and the coaching staff started Climie something like 10 straight games.

In a nutshell, there are certain situations in which Canucks prospects could maybe be more utilized - aka Andersson on the 2nd PP unit, Connauton on the 1st PP unit, Cannata in net more often even when Climie is healthy - but they are generally being used according to their capabilities. We all want our prospects to succeed but at the same time we can't assume they're all entitled to starring roles by pretending they're better than they actually are. The Canucks have a promising, even underrated, crop of young talent but they're not THAT great either.

• Upvote 1

Whats happening with Rodin? I thought in his procetion he had a good shot and could find the back of the net, yet in the AHL it seems like hes a 2 way forward who doesnt find the net that often?

Sure hope he can pick that up things up, hes still only 22, but seems to be on par with schroeder in the ability to score in the AHL.

When would he ever be given a shot to play a few games in the NHL to see what he can do? He sounds like a good prospect that should pan out, guess it would just be nice to see some of our draft picks make the team. Even top contending teams seem to have youngsters that can crack the line up.

oh wait, maybe its cause we have a coach that doesnt give them the opportunity...

All the best to Rodin hope he can find his offensive game

Whats happening with Rodin? I thought in his procetion he had a good shot and could find the back of the net, yet in the AHL it seems like hes a 2 way forward who doesnt find the net that often?

Sure hope he can pick that up things up, hes still only 22, but seems to be on par with schroeder in the ability to score in the AHL.

When would he ever be given a shot to play a few games in the NHL to see what he can do? He sounds like a good prospect that should pan out, guess it would just be nice to see some of our draft picks make the team. Even top contending teams seem to have youngsters that can crack the line up.

oh wait, maybe its cause we have a coach that doesnt give them the opportunity...

All the best to Rodin hope he can find his offensive game

we have youngsters on the team, just not this one. Cause he's not ready.

Atlanta wasn't unhappy, they were neglectful and didn't care about their prospects. They didn't care about making the effort to build a bridge between their AHL team and NHL team.

Give me a break. I loathe this perpetuating rumour. Our kids are stagnating because of a coach the Canucks pushed for, Arniel, and a rookie defense coach in Baumgartner, another Canuck. You can't put the blame solely on the Wolves and then conveniently forget how MacT provided a great developmental year for just about all our prospects last season. Its absurd. Its Arniel who was forcefeeding Ebbett and Haydar when they were struggling mightly.

MacT did more developmentally than Arniel has. yet the organization has stayed the same. Puzzling, I know, but the coach you choose really does make a difference. Blame the Canucks' decision hiring Arniel, not the Wolves.

If you want to know why Rodin is struggling, look no further than searching Anton Rodin in google. He has the skill/talent and had his first healthy offseason. His inconsistency is inexplicable and inexcusable.

Edited by DJ Kreuzberg
  • Upvote 2