The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rodin's Woes A Blessing in Disguise

swizzey

A terrific preseason.

An untimely injury.

Lack of playing time.

We saw great promise in Rodin after winning the Swedish Elite League MVP in preseason where he was able to put up impressive points. I am proposing that his injury was quite timely. He missed the early part of the season and was able to recover and get fit just in time for the Canucks to strike fire on their recent 6 game win streak. It takes at least 5-10 games to get his groove back after being out of action for a hefty part of the season. 

All this to say this can be a real blessing in disguise. With the expansion draft looming, it looks like we are to expose either Hansen, Granlund, Baertschi, and Sbisa. Based on a potential 30 games, even if Rodin does well and finds a bit of a groove, he has been completely taken out of the picture... all because of timing of an injury. Rodin is no superstar, but he has the potential to be a 2nd line goal scorer and likely, at his lower capability, will be at the same level of Granlund and Baertschi. 

Needless to say, just speculation that this setback could be a blessing in disguise... For us.

Im still not sure what you're saying... are you saying we could expose Rodin to the expansion draft instead and likely no one would take him due to his shortened season? 

because that wouldn't work since hes only here on a one year contract.. Honestly im not sure how this injury could be a blessing in disguise. I tend to think of Rodin and Baertschi as the same player and after having a terrific season in the swedish league cut short and an injury thats taken waaay longer to heal then expected, the guys confidence has no doubt taken a massive beating. We've all season what Baertschi can do when he has confidence to go along with his skill, but in light of Rodin's unfortunate past 8 months, i now question whether or not he'll be able to find a groove when he gets into the line up. 

Hope he does

19 minutes ago, swizzey said:

A terrific preseason.

An untimely injury.

Lack of playing time.

We saw great promise in Rodin after winning the Swedish Elite League MVP in preseason where he was able to put up impressive points. I am proposing that his injury was quite timely. He missed the early part of the season and was able to recover and get fit just in time for the Canucks to strike fire on their recent 6 game win streak. It takes at least 5-10 games to get his groove back after being out of action for a hefty part of the season. 

All this to say this can be a real blessing in disguise. With the expansion draft looming, it looks like we are to expose either Hansen, Granlund, Baertschi, and Sbisa. Based on a potential 30 games, even if Rodin does well and finds a bit of a groove, he has been completely taken out of the picture... all because of timing of an injury. Rodin is no superstar, but he has the potential to be a 2nd line goal scorer and likely, at his lower capability, will be at the same level of Granlund and Baertschi. 

Needless to say, just speculation that this setback could be a blessing in disguise... For us.

If Rodin wasn't a UFA, this might be a blessing... but July 1 he's going to be a UFA. 

He's not going to be happy knowing that in a contract year he was sitting on the bench not playing when he felt he could have.  Now rather than cashing in on a couple million contract he's hoping that next year he can finally get some opportunity.

It makes me wonder why would Rodin have any desire to sign with us.  I'm sure another team would be willing to take a shot at him for 950k, and a team that would be willing to promise him a better shot.  He said before that he felt it was good to go back to Sweden because he knew it would have been hard to crack that 2012 line up.  But now he feels he had a better chance and instead gets to watch a career AHLer with 3 goals take his spot.  If i'm Rodin, i'm pissed off and extremely frustrated with how vancouver has toyed around with me, the only reason I consider Vancouver again is because of all the Sweden influence on the roster.  But then again, look how they great treated, Sedins are getting ripped apart in the media, Edler has always been a scape goat, and Marky also doesn't get much opportunity. 

Insert rabble rabble.. Gosh, non of you have a clue to the reason he's sitting on the bench but please continue the speculation as if you guys do.  One of the biggest reasons it's hard to log in these days.  I feel like a fact checker at a Trump Rally.  Overworked and under appreciated ;) 

Come to think of it.. I can almost picture it now.. Herp, Blake Price says we should play them, Derp, must regurgitate what Sekeres rants /endderp.  And I like you guys as people.. But cmon, they log in here and see you guys spewing their nonsense and they think, hey it's working, people are listening.  The problem is most of us listen, it's just some of us have the knowledge to know hey are both bags of hot air ;) Sekeres speaks like he's trying to force a fart out

He apparently injured his knee and was not able to go against Calgary but should be a coach decision for this game dixit Benning.  He also said that they spoke a couple of days ago about getting him in the lineup and giving him PP time, and that he asked Rodin and his agent to be patient.

Not sure to understand why it's a blessing in disguise.  Never good to see a player injured and get sidetracked that way.  Also tough to bring in a player that has never played in the NHL and is not in game shape.  The whole situation is really unfortunate.  

52 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Assuming he resigns ... he and his agent might be so p'd off with Willie and his manipulations that they say "F it, we'll be better off playing somewhere that appreciates us"

wow

fascinating deflection on your part

rodin is hurt

he knows it

his agent knows it

willie knows it

but somehow willie is manipulating him and not appreciating him?

you know he arrived to the canucks an injured player and has still not fully recovered

the canucks are investing a lot in him in rehab time, are paying him, and getting nothing in return

if there is any conspiracy here maybe it is rodin manipulating the canucks?

it has a stronger foundation than your views..

but i think it is hogwash too

27 minutes ago, TheOgRook said:

Come to think of it.. I can almost picture it now.. Herp, Blake Price says we should play them, Derp, must regurgitate what Sekeres rants /endderp.  And I like you guys as people.. But cmon, they log in here and see you guys spewing their nonsense and they think, hey it's working, people are listening.  The problem is most of us listen, it's just some of us have the knowledge to know hey are both bags of hot air ;) Sekeres speaks like he's trying to force a fart out

did you hear this morning's commentary

bo is being limited to ensure his bridge contract is not too high

these talking heads have too much time on their hands

they have to make up news

somehow they want people to even consider the canucks would limit bo's on ice opportunities

to save a million per year on his bridge contract

when if he blossomed into a star

the increase in attendance would more than cover the additional money paid to bo

and put money in the owner's pocket

but they trot out their views and nonsense anyway

42 minutes ago, TheOgRook said:

Insert rabble rabble.. Gosh, non of you have a clue to the reason he's sitting on the bench but please continue the speculation as if you guys do.  One of the biggest reasons it's hard to log in these days.  I feel like a fact checker at a Trump Rally.  Overworked and under appreciated ;) 

See thats the beauty of fan forums.

speculatuon and rabble rabble.

perhaps the insider network is a better fit for you.

leave this dump to the simple fan.

edit 

i have a hunch hunch you'll never feel appreciated.:bigblush:

1 minute ago, xereau said:

Team sport.  Earn your keep.  Blah blah.   He has had a few games, and has been... meh.  He will get his chance to impress again.

Benning on the radio yesterday said Rodin is going to get more playing time over the next little while, so they can see what they have in him.  

Willie D says otherwise.  Is there a disconnect between what our GM wants, and what our coach does?  Sure WD dressed Rodin, but he didn't let him on the ice.  

Never mind all the rabble rabble/regurgitation of the Desjardins misuse discussion, but back to the OP, the injury has prevented him so far from showing his best. That doesn't mean he couldn't put it together in 30 games or so to really show how good he can be - even in flashes - for a team to want to take a chance on him if we do have him re-signed. If we don't have him re-signed by the expansion draft, then we risk losing him anyway.

The only way we're really helped by this is if he doesn't show promise in the remaining games, and if so, do we want to re-sign him?

20 minutes ago, riffraff said:

See thats the beauty of fan forums.

speculatuon and rabble rabble.

perhaps the insider network is a better fit for you.

leave this dump to the simple fan.

edit 

i have a hunch hunch you'll never feel appreciated.:bigblush:

Oh no worries my beautiful wife and children appreciate enough for everybody.  That was clearly toungue and cheek.  

Dont forget beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Some here would like to have legitimate convos about facts, not fiction.  And here some insightful thoughts, not just trolling and rabble.  There's a place here for all of us, even those that fall into all those categories.

and yes the insider group is MUCH better but tha doesn't commence till fishing time in the off season ;p

I see Rodin is taking over for Eddie Lack as the most overhyped player on our team.  Let's overlook the fact he has never topped 20goals in any semi pro league, and the fact his last practice following the Calgary game he left after 10min which screams injury.  I reckon 50% of CDC thinks we have the next Panirin(sp?) just waiting to snipe 50 goals with the twins and Willy is just combing his stache saying 'nah, he's good but not real good.  He'll have to sit some more I tell you whut'

The Canucks will give him a shot, probably just only one chance and he has to be 100% injury-free and confident that he can exceed in this league or it's back to Sweden.

1 minute ago, Tre Mac said:

I see Rodin is taking over for Eddie Lack as the most overhyped player on our team.  Let's overlook the fact he has never topped 20goals in any semi pro league, and the fact his last practice following the Calgary game he left after 10min which screams injury.  I reckon 50% of CDC thinks we have the next Panirin(sp?) just waiting to snipe 50 goals with the twins and Willy is just combing his stache saying 'nah, he's good but not real good.  He'll have to sit some more I tell you whut'

The Canucks will give him a shot, probably just only one chance and he has to be 100% injury-free and confident that he can exceed in this league or it's back to Sweden.

Lack 

jensen

rodin

swedish hype.

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Benning on the radio yesterday said Rodin is going to get more playing time over the next little while, so they can see what they have in him.  

Willie D says otherwise.  Is there a disconnect between what our GM wants, and what our coach does?  Sure WD dressed Rodin, but he didn't let him on the ice.  

benning said it was still a coaching decision. willie doesn't seem to have much faith in him. when he gets in, he has to show something. other than pre season, he hasn't shown much when he has been in. 

Archived