The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rodin's Woes A Blessing in Disguise

swizzey

15 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

benning said it was still a coaching decision. willie doesn't seem to have much faith in him. when he gets in, he has to show something. other than pre season, he hasn't shown much when he has been in. 

Rodin is 26.  He needs a fair chance, for an extended period.  Let's see what we have in the guy.

2 hours ago, swizzey said:

All this to say this can be a real blessing in disguise. With the expansion draft looming, it looks like we are to expose either Hansen, Granlund, Baertschi, and Sbisa. Based on a potential 30 games, even if Rodin does well and finds a bit of a groove, he has been completely taken out of the picture... all because of timing of an injury.

Unless he's protected, Rödin is still "in the picture" for the expansion draft.

It doesn't matter if he only plays 30 games.

Here's the long explanation (open spoiler):

The minimum exposure requirements are a team requirement for the players they expose. 

But individual players, who don't meet these requirements, are still exposed if they are not exempt (1st and 2nd year pros) or protected (placed on the team's protected list).

Go to Cap Friendly's expansion tool. Protect 7Fs, 3Ds, and 1G on the Canucks.  The remaining 12Fs, 6Ds, and 2Gs are the players Vancouver will expose to expansion. Among those 20 players, the Canucks are forced to include 2Fs, 1D, and 1G who meet the minimum exposure requirements.

The Canucks have 48 contracts. The 17 players listed as exempt are the exempt players (and Rödin isn't on that list). The 11 players that get protected are the protected list (unlikely Rödin is protected). The remaining 20 are exposed (so Rödin is exposed).

If Rödin is re-signed, he'll be part of the regular expansion draft. If he's still UFA, he'll be exposed during the pre-draft window when Vegas gets special negotiation rights (and any UFAs they sign become converted to expansion picks).

Either way if he can find his scoring touch that would be great but if he is just spot duty and the knee acts up I don't mind him waiting till next year. His call, to possibly stay and  re-sign and start fresh which would be the professional approach.

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

Assuming he resigns ... he and his agent might be so p'd off with Willie and his manipulations that they say "F it, we'll be better off playing somewhere that appreciates us"

And now it's Willie's fault that Rodin was injured?  Injured before he even came to the team?  What a ridiculous post.  Humans love their witch-hunting (i.e. the thumbs up to a ridiculous post) but it is really a gathering of scared little sheep.  Is Willie perfect?  Of course not.  But it is really childish and foolish to pin ALL our disappointments on him.  Geesh!  GCG!

51 minutes ago, nux_win said:

And now it's Willie's fault that Rodin was injured?  Injured before he even came to the team?  What a ridiculous post.  Humans love their witch-hunting (i.e. the thumbs up to a ridiculous post) but it is really a gathering of scared little sheep.  Is Willie perfect?  Of course not.  But it is really childish and foolish to pin ALL our disappointments on him.  Geesh!  GCG!

Is it his fault Rodin was injured? No. Is it his fault he continues to play AHL level talent in Skille, Chaput, Gaunce, and Megna instead of giving Rodin a chance to get time on a line? Absolutely. In fact between Rodin and Boucher, I don't understand why 2 of the 4 mentioned above haven't been reassigned. I think giving Gaunce some time in Utica on a scoring line may actually be great for his development (and help the comets who are absolutely brutal this year).

The fact that Benning said on the radio yesterday that they talked with Rodin's agent about being patient shows that he is running out of it... and I can see why. Willie doesn't want to mess around with a 'winning lineup'.... but the team has been playing poorly and getting lucky results. Leaving Megna with the sedins for all those games... just insanity! The powerplay continuing to be... uninspired... and not changing it up... pure negligence.

I don't agree with the group that say 'everything WD does is trash'... but his reluctance to make changes despite lackluster performances and dependence to continually over-utilize fringe NHLers is baffling.

10 minutes ago, Misconduct16 said:

Is it his fault Rodin was injured? No. Is it his fault he continues to play AHL level talent in Skille, Chaput, Gaunce, and Megna instead of giving Rodin a chance to get time on a line? Absolutely. In fact between Rodin and Boucher, I don't understand why 2 of the 4 mentioned above haven't been reassigned. I think giving Gaunce some time in Utica on a scoring line may actually be great for his development (and help the comets who are absolutely brutal this year).

The fact that Benning said on the radio yesterday that they talked with Rodin's agent about being patient shows that he is running out of it... and I can see why. Willie doesn't want to mess around with a 'winning lineup'.... but the team has been playing poorly and getting lucky results. Leaving Megna with the sedins for all those games... just insanity! The powerplay continuing to be... uninspired... and not changing it up... pure negligence.

I don't agree with the group that say 'everything WD does is trash'... but his reluctance to make changes despite lackluster performances and dependence to continually over-utilize fringe NHLers is baffling.

I agree with Benning: a little patience is in order (i.e. instead of the typical knee-jerk reaction of blaming Willie).  The arrogance of some fans thinking that they know everything that is going on behind the scenes is staggering.  GCG!

4 hours ago, Googlie said:

Assuming he resigns ... he and his agent might be so p'd off with Willie and his manipulations that they say "F it, we'll be better off playing somewhere that appreciates us"

Well the last time I looked Willie wasn't an orthopaedic consultant. If the guy wants to play he either needs to get back to his consultant or stop looking like he is crippled (let's not forget Willie did play him and he pulled up grimacing and struggling to the bench)

He then agreed he was not fit to play the following night.

3 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

If Rodin wasn't a UFA, this might be a blessing... but July 1 he's going to be a UFA. 

He's not going to be happy knowing that in a contract year he was sitting on the bench not playing when he felt he could have.  Now rather than cashing in on a couple million contract he's hoping that next year he can finally get some opportunity.

It makes me wonder why would Rodin have any desire to sign with us.  I'm sure another team would be willing to take a shot at him for 950k, and a team that would be willing to promise him a better shot.  He said before that he felt it was good to go back to Sweden because he knew it would have been hard to crack that 2012 line up.  But now he feels he had a better chance and instead gets to watch a career AHLer with 3 goals take his spot.  If i'm Rodin, i'm pissed off and extremely frustrated with how vancouver has toyed around with me, the only reason I consider Vancouver again is because of all the Sweden influence on the roster.  But then again, look how they great treated, Sedins are getting ripped apart in the media, Edler has always been a scape goat, and Marky also doesn't get much opportunity. 

Rodin's a UFA? CapFriendly says he is RFA......

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

2 hours ago, smithers joe said:

benning said it was still a coaching decision. willie doesn't seem to have much faith in him. when he gets in, he has to show something. other than pre season, he hasn't shown much when he has been in. 

How many minute has he been "granted" by WD to show something ??

6 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Rodin's a UFA? CapFriendly says he is RFA......

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

Nope he's group VI UFA

Because of his age, gp and pro experience.

What is a Group VI UFA?

A player who's contract is expiring and meets all of the following conditions shall become an unrestricted free agent (UFA):
  1. The player is 25 years or older (as of June 30th of the calendar year the contract is expiring).
  2. The player has completed 3 or more professional seasons - qualified by 11 or more professional games (for an 18/19 year old player), or 1 or more professional games (for a player aged 20 or older). This can include NHL, minor league, and European professional league seasons played while under an SPC.
  3. The player has played less than 80 NHL games, or 28 NHL games of 30 minutes or greater for a goaltender.

https://www.capfriendly.com/faq

He would be a RFA if he got in 80 nhl games the year, but that happening is long gone now

A healthy Rodin would have bee a blessing to this team, I don't know if I'd call this injury of his a blessing in disguise. If anything it's set him and the team back, him because he hasn't had the opportunity to play healthy for the most part and have a shot at impressing and it hurts the team because they clearly thought they were improving their lineup by bringing him in. Maybe he'll show well in the remainder of the season, maybe he'll show well next season if he's around. Maybe he'll have moved on. Either way, not much of a blessing.

50 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

He then agreed he was not fit to play the following night.

He did?????  He obviously didn't tell WD 'cos that wasn't the reason Willie cited for sitting him.

I'm not a Willie basher - in fact I think he has done a decent job given the hand he has been dealt (injuries, talent). Like many (possibly including JB himself, per his interview) I scratch my head at some of the lineup decisions he makes and their deployment.

5 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

If Rodin wasn't a UFA, this might be a blessing... but July 1 he's going to be a UFA.

This is something that requires clarification.

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/VAN?year=2017  

Here's the actual source of that information (Ryan Biech):

http://canucksarmy.com/2016/12/20/anton-rodin-will-be-a-group-vi-ufa

@Squeak

1 hour ago, nux_win said:

I agree with Benning: a little patience is in order (i.e. instead of the typical knee-jerk reaction of blaming Willie).  The arrogance of some fans thinking that they know everything that is going on behind the scenes is staggering.  GCG!

Surmise is not the same as "fans thinking they know everything ..."

Fact: Benning and Rodin's agent talked. 

Surmise 1: Benning didn't initiate the call (why would he - to discuss a contract extension based on what body of work? Because he makes a point of calling every player's agent once a week? To see if the agent had better info on that nagging injury than the Canucks medical staff had?)

Surmise 2: Rodin's agent initiated the call.  To ask what the hell was happening, why wasn't his guy given ice time, where did he fit in WD's plans.

No one is "blaming" Willie  (blaming for what - Rodin's injury?), just questioning his deployment (and here comes surmise again) as I believe Benning, Rodin's agent, and 1/2 of CDC is

Archived