The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rodin's Woes A Blessing in Disguise

swizzey

5 hours ago, Googlie said:

Assuming he resigns ... he and his agent might be so p'd off with Willie and his manipulations that they say "F it, we'll be better off playing somewhere that appreciates us"

You speak of WD like he is Moriarty from sherlock. 

49 minutes ago, oldnews said:

This is something that requires clarification.

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/VAN?year=2017  

Here's the actual source of that information (Ryan Biech):

http://canucksarmy.com/2016/12/20/anton-rodin-will-be-a-group-vi-ufa

@Squeak

Yeah - Rodin will be a Group VI UFA at the end of this season.

@ForsbergTheGreat is 100% correct - and that post from CA outlines it further.

How do I say this.... it's been confirmed.... by people that would know ;)

29 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Surmise is not the same as "fans thinking they know everything ..."

Fact: Benning and Rodin's agent talked. 

Surmise 1: Benning didn't initiate the call (why would he - to discuss a contract extension based on what body of work? Because he makes a point of calling every player's agent once a week? To see if the agent had better info on that nagging injury than the Canucks medical staff had?)

Surmise 2: Rodin's agent initiated the call.  To ask what the hell was happening, why wasn't his guy given ice time, where did he fit in WD's plans.

No one is "blaming" Willie  (blaming for what - Rodin's injury?), just questioning his deployment (and here comes surmise again) as I believe Benning, Rodin's agent, and 1/2 of CDC is

Yes that is true.  And they probably did talk about ice time.  Every player in the NHL wants more ice time.  It's something that can always be debated.  But to say that "No one is 'blaming' Willie" is pure denial.  There are dozens of so-called fans blaming him for everything from the cold weather to Vancouver's traffic problems.  And then there's the media constantly fanning the "let's fire Willie" flames for no other reason than to just sell more advertising by stirring the pot (it's their job to be overly critical in order to make money - they are NOT fans).  And then we get thin-skinned CDC'ers parroting that back to us as if it is a well constructed original argument.  Patience people, patience.  GCG!

14 minutes ago, Squeak said:

How do I say this.... it's been confirmed.... by people that would know.

People that would also know whether he's healthy.

And whether or not he's 'disgruntled' as a result of his 'treatment'.

Funny thing - Rodin's own comments on the matter have largely been ignored.

I guess they get in the way of "Willie watch" lol.

On 2017-01-04 at 3:58 PM, Mackcanuck said:

Rodin is not ready to play top 6, 15 minutes a game yet.

Rodin commented that he's still taking care of the leg. He's not quite 100%.

“I feel good and more confident today and I don’t really feel that I’m lacking explosiveness but maybe I am because it (knee tendon surgery recovery) is going to be a long process,” said Rodin

Rodin knows his situation and why he's not playing. He also knows that his injury has made it difficult to crack the line-up and earn his spot. 

This is what he said this week regarding the game he sat on the bench ...

"It's a tough league to get into. I need to be ready when I get my chance. It's always tough to be on the side and not playing. I was pretty much on the same page. If I hadn't played in the first period, it's pretty tough to jump in."

(http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/willie-desjardins-explains-canucks-short-defence-rodin-benching/)

Rodin's not blaming Willie. He's a pro. He know's what's up.

Honestly I would in general just prefer our players to all play well. Having an over abundance of good players for Vegas to take is a "problem" that I would be very willing to have. I don't particularly buy any kind of "Aha! If our players are terrible maybe they won't be chosen!"

If Rodin played great and got picked, then that means another currently good player is safe. I would entirely accept that. 

Rodin has showed enough to deserve some playing time...he can steal pucks away, he can pass through defensive players, he is tenacious on the puck and he knows where to be to score the goals or make the goal scoring pass from.

WD is blind or blindly distracted by the all the rest of the bad plays going on to notice the rookie making good plays....

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

He did?????  He obviously didn't tell WD 'cos that wasn't the reason Willie cited for sitting him.

I'm not a Willie basher - in fact I think he has done a decent job given the hand he has been dealt (injuries, talent). Like many (possibly including JB himself, per his interview) I scratch my head at some of the lineup decisions he makes and their deployment.

Google, I'm reading between the lines when I said that. Here is the quote and you would agree a FIT PLAYER wouldn't mind when he was asked to go out. Especially one who is gasping for his chance. I saw his face (if you have NHL TV go and look at it )when he brakes hard behind the Calgary net. You would have thought he was having a tooth extracted by the pain on his face.

That wasn't the "bang" that was just him pulling up sharp which was more worrying. No way is a player with that severity of injury going to play again the following night.

"

Both Rodin and Desjardins said the player banged his knee Friday, part of the reason he didn't play in Calgary.

"I was pretty much on the same page," said Rodin, the only skater to suit up in the NHL this season and not see any time. "If I hadn't played in the first period it's pretty tough to jump in."

2 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Google, I'm reading between the lines when I said that. Here is the quote and you would agree a FIT PLAYER wouldn't mind when he was asked to go out. Especially one who is gasping for his chance. I saw his face (if you have NHL TV go and look at it )when he brakes hard behind the Calgary net. You would have thought he was having a tooth extracted by the pain on his face.

"

Both Rodin and Desjardins said the player banged his knee Friday, part of the reason he didn't play in Calgary.

"I was pretty much on the same page," said Rodin, the only skater to suit up in the NHL this season and not see any time. "If I hadn't played in the first period it's pretty tough to jump in."

thats called the stockholm syndrome,he just wants the pyscho off his back.the only reason they play through so many injury's is theres no push back and other teams now there is barely ever payback.remember when torts said don't push me i have to PROTECT my team.WD hid in the dressing room as gerard gallant drooled all over our players in that fFLA game last year,remember that one?

4 minutes ago, gino#29 said:

thats called the stockholm syndrome,he just wants the pyscho off his back.the only reason they play through so many injury's is theres no push back and other teams now there is barely ever payback.remember when torts said don't push me i have to PROTECT my team.WD hid in the dressing room as gerard gallant drooled all over our players in that fFLA game last year,remember that one?

I honestly haven't a clue what you're on about - are we still talking hockey because if we are I need 3 or 4 shots to get in step with you.

To me Rodins season is just starting.  The Canucks want to see what they got in him and as a fan there is hope he might be a secret weapon....But I am not holding my breath..It's hard to see where he fits into the overall game plan but his recent pedigree suggests that he could contribute....It's up to him and his play to dictate where things go from here.

the coaching staff is charged with putting the best team they can on the ice. the fact that their assessment of players is different then us fans, shouldn't deter them from doing what they think is best. that is the way it should be unless benning wants to poll cdc.

9 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

If Rodin wasn't a UFA, this might be a blessing... but July 1 he's going to be a UFA. 

He's not going to be happy knowing that in a contract year he was sitting on the bench not playing when he felt he could have.  Now rather than cashing in on a couple million contract he's hoping that next year he can finally get some opportunity.

It makes me wonder why would Rodin have any desire to sign with us.  I'm sure another team would be willing to take a shot at him for 950k, and a team that would be willing to promise him a better shot.  He said before that he felt it was good to go back to Sweden because he knew it would have been hard to crack that 2012 line up.  But now he feels he had a better chance and instead gets to watch a career AHLer with 3 goals take his spot.  If i'm Rodin, i'm pissed off and extremely frustrated with how vancouver has toyed around with me, the only reason I consider Vancouver again is because of all the Sweden influence on the roster.  But then again, look how they great treated, Sedins are getting ripped apart in the media, Edler has always been a scape goat, and Marky also doesn't get much opportunity. 

Gaunce 0 goals :/ should AHL the kid and let him keep improving like he did

9 hours ago, Googlie said:

Assuming he resigns ... he and his agent might be so p'd off with Willie and his manipulations that they say "F it, we'll be better off playing somewhere that appreciates us"

That would not surprise me, piss me off?  Certainly!  (and then some)

43 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

the coaching staff is charged with putting the best team they can on the ice. the fact that their assessment of players is different then us fans, shouldn't deter them from doing what they think is best. that is the way it should be unless benning wants to poll cdc.

That doesn't mean they do a great job of doing it....  WD is still a rookie and it shows glaringly and it has nothing to do with that the CDC thinks or doesn't think.

I am more an more inclined to think Anton is not gonna make it here in Vancouver. Afteall Willie his coach would know.Tough time to jump to NHL after the injury he had . JB hyped him last summer as possible solution to adding more offense .It also looks more an more like another JB strike out with the said player.

47 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

That doesn't mean they do a great job of doing it....  WD is still a rookie and it shows glaringly and it has nothing to do with that the CDC thinks or doesn't think.

When's he not a  rookie... when he's like 80 or so?

Archived