The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Here's the thing: JB should get rid of Megna now

Horvats_Big_Head

11 hours ago, hammertime said:

100% agree. Sedin show is tired slow and predictable. Problem is were pretty much stuck for another season watching the same tired slow Sedin show. They are not the future of this team they are the past. Splitting them up would disturb the chemistry on the other lines were building may as well just keep playing them with Megna and let the other lines develop. Plus Rodin isn't ready for prime time especially playing along side the Sedins drawing top competition. Hopefully his knee won't be a career ending injury and he can eventually draw in for us. For now I will remain very patient with Rodin and temper my expectations when he eventually slots in if at all this season.   

But I thought the Sedins were washed out, 3rd liners at best, slow, predictable, with their incessant passing to each other?

Obviously 29 other coaches don't think so, else why counter the Twins with their top competitors?

12 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

A huge difference between Megna and Vey, is that Vey had and has way more natural talent. Megna is a scrub who skates. I'd rather see Chaput stay up than Megna. At least Chaput is a banger that makes the fourth line click. Megna's stick is where plays go to die.

Megnadeathstick...great name for a death metal band.

2 minutes ago, Googlie said:

But I thought the Sedins were washed out, 3rd liners at best, slow, predictable, with their incessant passing to each other?

Obviously 29 other coaches don't think so, else why counter the Twins with their top competitors?

The Sedins reputation precedes them a bit around the league and you certainly can't ignore them. That being said we don't exactly have the intimidating firepower on our other lines to make teams quake in their boots. Not yet anyway. Even with Megna the twins are still drawing high competition which they are loosing match ups to nightly. The Sedins are still logging bulky minutes putting Rodin in that spot under the microscope after his rehab and not having an offseason to train wouldn't really be fair or healthy. If anything I would like to see what he can do in Granlunds spot with Sutter and Eriksson. But for now Granlund is setting the world on fire and making JB look like a genius in the Shink deal so I think Rodin sits until a spot opens up. Which is probably best considering his recovery has gone so far. 

I stand by my statement that WD is throwing the Sedins to the wolves inorder to gradually transition the other lines building their confidence slowly playing tougher matches and getting more quality ice as the season has progressed. The Sedins time is up its abundantly clear that they can't carry a contender without being propped up defensively which is not the way to develop youth. Its tough to watch the canucks loose games because of the program but the program is working. Bae, Bo, Granlund, Sbisa, Troy, are having career years and exceeding every expectation anyone imagined for them before the season started.     

It's really hard to fathom what goes through WD mind most of the time and this usage of this half assed AHL'er is beyond belief.

Hell I could live with his below average play if he at least knocked over the odd guy and made some room showed some kind of special ability but there's none the guy skates up and down the ice falling down and giving up the puck doing nothing it's pathetic.

WD stupidity is going to cost the this team a playoff spot it's too tight to make foolish decisions all season.

13 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

Do I care if Megna "carries Willie's gear"? Not in the least. Find happiness where you can my friends. 

What I do care about is Jim's tolerance of multiple loss losing streaks, and tolerance of a coach who uses plugs the way Willie does. My bet is they just can't face the Aquilini's and get them to pay for 2 fired coaches at the same time. 

Do you think a new coach would make this team suddenly win? I don't think this is on WD, more so on JB. This team is slow and lacks firepower. What do seriously expect?

Management has hardly sent a clear message, initially they wanted to win then it's a re-tooling while being competitive and trying to win. Now what is it?

It's a mess in my opinion with no clear direction. It may be ownership, it may be Management but imo it's not coaching. The Sedins are not top line players that can carry a team. Our team will be lucky to have anyone score 60 pts. 

1 hour ago, EmilyM said:

Not sure what's worse, Willie's love of little guys who work hard, or CDC's love of big guys who don't.

I suspect that CDC has enough hate to go around regardless of the player/coach/GM/team president/owner/etc.

regards,  G.

9 hours ago, hammertime said:

The Sedins reputation precedes them a bit around the league and you certainly can't ignore them. That being said we don't exactly have the intimidating firepower on our other lines to make teams quake in their boots. Not yet anyway. Even with Megna the twins are still drawing high competition which they are loosing match ups to nightly. The Sedins are still logging bulky minutes putting Rodin in that spot under the microscope after his rehab and not having an offseason to train wouldn't really be fair or healthy. If anything I would like to see what he can do in Granlunds spot with Sutter and Eriksson. But for now Granlund is setting the world on fire and making JB look like a genius in the Shink deal so I think Rodin sits until a spot opens up. Which is probably best considering his recovery has gone so far. 

I stand by my statement that WD is throwing the Sedins to the wolves inorder to gradually transition the other lines building their confidence slowly playing tougher matches and getting more quality ice as the season has progressed. The Sedins time is up its abundantly clear that they can't carry a contender without being propped up defensively which is not the way to develop youth. Its tough to watch the canucks loose games because of the program but the program is working. Bae, Bo, Granlund, Sbisa, Troy, are having career years and exceeding every expectation anyone imagined for them before the season started.     

^THIS^ Somebody is able to see what is really happening out there on a nightly basis.

1/ If we play teams that are basically poor defensively overall, then the Sedins thrive and have multi point nights.

2/ If we play a team lacking defensive depth then the Sedins line gets shutdown by their best but lines 2 & 3 are able to thrive. But the other coach can't reassign the little bit of defensive depth he does have to cover the speedier lines because the Sedin line can and will come back to bite...hard.

3/ If we play teams that are pretty sound defensively overall, well we're headed for a tough low scoring affair that, quite frankly, due to our own lack of depth usually ends up in a loss or a single point.

4/ Same goes for a run n' gun game...sometimes we just don't possess the depth to run n' gun with some of the higher flyin' teams so we end up losing or with a single point.

Basically if we analyze each game this season (who scored, who was on the ice defensively for the opponent etc) the following patterns start to develop and we can see where the above statements are true:

TEAMS WE HAVE BEATEN DUE TO THEIR POOR DEFENSIVE DEPTH (Category 1 and 2 above):

Calgary

Carolina

Buffalo

Dallas

Arizona

Winnipeg

Colorado

TEAMS WE HAVE PLAYED (Category 3 above) WHERE THE GAMES WERE CLOSE DEFENSIVELY OR RUN N' GUN:

St. Louis

Ottawa

Chicago

Minny

New Jersey

Columbus

LA Queens

Edmonton

Philly

Anaheim

HIGH FLYERS (Category 4 above):

NY Rangers

Washington

Montreal

Of course there are some anomalies to the above formula but overall it does help us to see the following:

1/ Because we have the Sedins we won't finish last as predicted. They either draw the better defensive players away from lines 2 and 3 or they get freed up when the other coach deploys his better defensive players against another line/situation.

2/ Due to their slower foot speed, we won't win too many run n' guns contests. They get put back on their heels too often and have almost zero offensive presence.

3/ Our games won split is pretty indicative of the Categories above, meaning we will probably finish around the 18 to 22 slot by season's end. Hopefully good enough for a top 10 pick (top 5 if the lottery works in our favour this time around).

4/ As I stated in another comment on the Sedins...it's time we moved on from them in a couple of seasons. They will continue to decline and as such, won't be much of a counter punch when other teams deploy their better defensive players to cover our other top lines...so it makes the role (success) they are enjoying now...well...non-existent.

22 hours ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

I hate 4th liners, call-ups, energy guys.  Good teams don't have them. They have Toews, Tavares, Giroux....

If you are super insightful you can just pick the worst player on the team and rag on him.  I mean, anyone can see he's your weakest player.  No one can say you don't know hockey.

Show me one team in the NHL that Toews, Tavares, Giroux , etc. are on the 4th line? Maybe if the NHL had only 6-12 teams again. 

12 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

The only reason why Megna and Chaput are on the team at this point is lack of depth.

Megna has some of the qualities that Canuck coaching and management are looking for.  He has some speed and defensive abilities.  He gets in on the fore check.  Offense just is not there and IQ is only fair.  He pretty much doesn't cost the team defensively but does in terms of opportunities missed.  So while Hansen is out.....meh....

Megna (26) and Chaput (24) are fringe NHLers and are great for depth but also for internal competition.  They are where the bar is set and young drafted players need to out perform them before they will be called up. Internal competition is such that the best alternative to an injured roster player gets the call up.  Until some of the young drafted players in the system like Grenier, Archibald, Zalewski, Boucher, Cassels, Virtanen can show that they are better alternatives, they will continue to develop in Utica.  For some, it is clearly to their benefit.    

Can we just wait awhile for attrition an default eventually to said player whom may yet surprise everyone?

Surprisingly JB has not built very much parallel depth on the farm in 3 years

. It seems the stocked parts are getting used far faster then their replacement time

Archived