The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reid Boucher | LW/RW

Salmonberries

• 2 weeks later...

Boucher scored in his tenth goal of the season and looked pretty good pre-injury maybe he gets a chance to come up at some point and we can send Archibald down to help Utica as he is not very effective at the NHL level. Boucher could easily replace Goldie on the PP.  

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

According to Elite Prospects, Boucher is currently already 8th all-time in points as a Utica Comet and will tie Alex Friesen with 2 more points. He's already tied Gaunce for 3rd all-time in goals with 42 goals.

19 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

He will probably break a lot of the Comets records this year and perhaps next year. As good as he is at the AHL level I just don't view him as an NHL prospect anymore and don't think he is in the Canucks long term plans moving forward.

Agreed. He might come to realize that a NHL career won't happen and decide to cash in on a Euro contract for more $'s than the AHL will pay him. I found Bieksa's comment in the After Hours about signing in Europe as interesting. A million$ contract with no taxes would be nice. 

On 1/7/2019 at 3:55 PM, Kootenay Gold said:

He is an RFA with arbitration rights this year if he is in fact qualified so that decision will have a big impact on what he may do next year.

Same as last year.  They agreed on a contract before the qualifying deadline - he filed for arbitration the year before and Canucks probably wanted to avoid that.  His qualifying offer would have been more favourable than the contract he ended up signing for - he was on a one-way but signed a two-way.  His NHL salary is higher but not the AHL one and he has spent most of the season in the AHL.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2019 at 5:20 PM, gurn said:

At the NHL level he is just a bit too slow, can't get away for a half second from anyone so he doesn't get space to shoot.

While I agree he tends not to have space to shoot, I would say thats more because he plays a perimeter game as opposed to his skating - which I thought was pretty good.

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Boucher this summer. He's arguably the best player Utica's ever had. He's already 4th all-time in points in just two seasons.

It's funny, last summer, Benning gave him a 1 year contract with no performance bonuses or signing bonuses (as opposed to his previous contract) and a 2-way $725 - $300 which I took to be an effort to keep him from bolting to Europe.  So what happens next I have no clue

Benning wants the kids to work hard to make the team.  Internal competition has always been his mantra.  Is this an old fashioned idea?  A lot of people seem to think so including Treliving.  Boucher would be the kind of guy he wants a young scoring winger to try to out play.

3 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

I would love to see this guy succeed if he could pull a Horvat and work like a beast on his skating he would possibly become a player for us.

I think if that was going to happen it would have by now. I doubt he gets a qualifying offer from us tbh.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, CanuckleHorse said:

I just read an article about players who got a late start to their NHL career many started to contribute past 25 it’s never too late.

he's Wellwood 2.0. Sometimes it just doesn't work out. But maybe on another team he could find a spot, who knows, but there's really no spot for him here. He's not going to outplay anyone for a top 6 role.