The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Beware The Ides of March

TheGuardian_

March, just days after the trade dead line.

Where are the Nucks in the standings? Close to a playoff spot or in one?

Were they active at the TDL? Or did they do as they did last year?

The ides of March, this is a reference to the 15 games and their opponents in the month of March.

If fans thought February was tough, well March is definitely going to be a Lion to deal with, no more easy games, no more 6 or more easy wins against the 29th and 30th placed teams, that's 12 or more easy points not available.

Every team they play against will be cranking it up for the playoffs and they are all over .500 or could be by then.

The Nucks have played inspired, petal to the metal hockey to get the sniff of the playoffs so far, how much is left in the tank? Hopefully Virtanen suddenly get's it and returns to make a dent or they try out Pedan at a forward position like SJ did with Burns and it works out. Hopefully no injuries to a Sedin.

Maybe by this time they rebuilt and moved three or four vets. Maybe other moves.

Whatever the schedule maker has been kind to the Nucks, until March.

Here's the Feb Sched

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/schedule/2017-02-01/PT

And the March Sched 

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/schedule/2017-03-01/PT

That is a lot of travel against a lot of premiere and shockingly placed bubble teams which are playing below their abilities.

And for fun, we end the season in the division against teams that will be playing us against the other for playoff positioning.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/schedule/2017-04-01/PT

Gonna be a rough next 8 weeks

16 minutes ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

First in to minus the guardian!!!

yeah great eh? Do you know who is first in Happy smiles? Ahhhh fame!:lol:

From the movie Private Parts;

Researcher: The average radio listener listens for eighteen minutes. The average Howard Stern fan listens for - are you ready for this? - an hour and twenty minutes.

Pig Vomit: How can that be?

Researcher: Answer most commonly given? "I want to see what he'll say next."

Pig Vomit: Okay, fine. But what about the people who hate Stern?

Researcher: Good point. The average Stern hater listens for two and a half hours a day.

Pig Vomit: But... if they hate him, why do they listen?

Researcher: Most common answer? "I want to see what he'll say next."

13 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Here's the Feb Sched

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/schedule/2017-02-01/PT

And the March Sched 

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/schedule/2017-03-01/PT

That is a lot of travel against a lot of premiere and shockingly placed bubble teams which are playing below their abilities.

And for fun, we end the season in the division against teams that will be playing us against the other for playoff positioning.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/schedule/2017-04-01/PT

Gonna be a rough next 8 weeks

Still the sked is not as tough as 2013/2014 season, that was the toughest in Canuck history.

I remember posting about the Dec sched. Was just hoping they'd battle back to .500, to get some legitimacy..well, they did that. Comets surged back as well.

Now, do a deal(or two) to prepare precisely for the Exp Draft. Keep gettin younger, faster & bigger.

On balance, I'd say they held up their own end of the bargain.

They've got some pieces that hold key value. Next few months, shrewd GM'ing is certainly required.

19 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

March, just days after the trade dead line.

Where are the Nucks in the standings? Close to a playoff spot or in one?

Were they active at the TDL? Or did they do as they did last year?

The ides of March, this is a reference to the 15 games and their opponents in the month of March.

If fans thought February was tough, well March is definitely going to be a Lion to deal with, no more easy games, no more 6 or more easy wins against the 29th and 30th placed teams, that's 12 or more easy points not available.

Every team they play against will be cranking it up for the playoffs and they are all over .500 or could be by then.

The Nucks have played inspired, petal to the metal hockey to get the sniff of the playoffs so far, how much is left in the tank? Hopefully Virtanen suddenly get's it and returns to make a dent or they try out Pedan at a forward position like SJ did with Burns and it works out. Hopefully no injuries to a Sedin.

Maybe by this time they rebuilt and moved three or four vets. Maybe other moves.

Whatever the schedule maker has been kind to the Nucks, until March.

February is not much better. We have 17 road and 15 home with only one bottom feeder who we just lost to. The rest of the year is a grind and will tax this club to the max. Lots of travel from now until the end of the year. I am still reading up on the top picks in this years draft because one will be ours.

It is what it is.

18 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I remember posting about the Dec sched. Was just hoping they'd battle back to .500, to get some legitimacy..well, they did that. Comets surged back as well.

Now, do a deal(or two) to prepare precisely for the Exp Draft. Keep gettin younger, faster & bigger.

On balance, I'd say they held up their own end of the bargain.

They've got some pieces that hold key value. Next few months, shrewd GM'ing is certainly required.

It infuriates me that .500 is considered 50% of the points. We have 23 wins and 27 losses, that's not .500 in my book. If it were, than 26 teams in the NHL right now are at or above .500, and it is a $&!#ty way to measure a successful team.

On 28/01/2017 at 0:50 PM, Tajun said:

It infuriates me that .500 is considered 50% of the points. We have 23 wins and 27 losses, that's not .500 in my book. If it were, than 26 teams in the NHL right now are at or above .500, and it is a $&!#ty way to measure a successful team.

Yep. The loser point has screwed the whole idea of being .500.  used to be if you got 82 points you made the playoffs.  Now you need to add ten points to that.  The whole idea of being five hundred is history

It also belittles getting 100 points which before the shootout we rarely were.  It was a real accomplishment..Also although it will be a while, when someone passes the habs record they will need to add an asterisk to it or not count the loser points.  Should just go back to ties and play  3 on 3 OT with no loser points a loss is a loss zero points.

Archived