The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

3 hours ago, gurn said:

Many centers from the lower leagues end up as wingers in the NHL, others like Granlund, Gagner and Gaunce end up playing a bit of both positions.

Also Pettersson played mostly on the wing, with about 5 games as center, this year in the SHL.

If it comes down to Goldy or Gaudette, all money's on the Hockey_Gaud, if for nothing more than the fact he brings it every game, and in a responsible 2-way capacity.  Goldy will need a complete renaissance over the summer to have a hope in that competition.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

If it comes down to Goldy or Gaudette, all money's on the Hockey_Gaud, if for nothing more than the fact he brings it every game, and in a responsible 2-way capacity.  Goldy will need a complete renaissance over the summer to have a hope in that competition.

Um, yeah...this^^^^^

Goldy has a chance here, mostly because of his talent (not his drive). I'd say he gets next year to prove himself here; if he doesn't, I see him as a trade deadline clearance.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Father Ryan said:

Um, yeah...this^^^^^

Goldy has a chance here, mostly because of his talent (not his drive). I'd say he gets next year to prove himself here; if he doesn't, I see him as a trade deadline clearance.

And if he gets outplayed next fall and there's no room at the inn? I mean I could see us 'Stecher' a Pettersson or Dahlen to Utica until we sort out a trade etc but unless he can show some pretty serious improvement and commitment this summer...

Heck, he's not doing himself any favours with his play right now. I could easily see us package him this summer without a massive turn around in his play. I think management will have a pretty good idea of what we do/don't have by April. 

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

And if he gets outplayed next fall and there's no room at the inn? I mean I could see us 'Stecher' a Pettersson or Dahlen to Utica until we sort out a trade etc but unless he can show some pretty serious improvement and commitment this summer...

Heck, he's not doing himself any favours with his play right now. I could easily see us package him this summer without a massive turn around in his play. I think management will have a pretty good idea of what we do/don't have by April. 

Is he supposed to drag our garbage team out of the dumpster fire with our current roster unlikely I don’t think mcdavid could even do that

Edited by Dats hockey

18 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

Is he supposed to drag our garbage team out of the dumpster fire with our current roster unlikely I don’t think mcdavid could even do that

McDavid can’t even do that with a half decent supporting cast sorry I get sick and tired of that name, 

rangers are willing to trade one of there firsts for nhl ready young guys, I wonder if a goldobin package Could make the rangers bite, I mean it’s gunna take another solid piece but We’re looking in good shape to be trade partners with them 

29 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

Has anyone claimed that?

Look engaged, work hard off and on the ice, battle for pucks. In short make it look like you give a damn and realize you're fighting to keep your job and stay in the NHL.

45 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

McDavid can’t even do that with a half decent supporting cast sorry I get sick and tired of that name, 

rangers are willing to trade one of there firsts for nhl ready young guys, I wonder if a goldobin package Could make the rangers bite, I mean it’s gunna take another solid piece but We’re looking in good shape to be trade partners with them 

If the rags were willing to do that, take it....

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Not that I'm a big fan of his or anything, but...he is still pretty young. That being said, I wouldn't shed any tears if he was traded away at the draft. As little as Virt has shown (up until recently) I would still take him over Goldy.
I'm just thinking that management may want to have an extended look at him, which would keep him here for a little while longer.

1 hour ago, Father Ryan said:

Not that I'm a big fan of his or anything, but...he is still pretty young. That being said, I wouldn't shed any tears if he was traded away at the draft. As little as Virt has shown (up until recently) I would still take him over Goldy.
I'm just thinking that management may want to have an extended look at him, which would keep him here for a little while longer.

I agree. I am the first to get on Goldy for his shortcomings. But to give up on him now would be stupid. From my armchair analysis it seems like a confidence thing. If he ever gets confident in his ability to play in the NHL he could be a real good player. 

Edited by rekker
  • Upvote 1

On 3/20/2018 at 10:04 AM, aGENT said:

I'm not sure he has that much time. I think he has next fall (if he isn't packaged this summer) and if he hasn't earned a spot by then/gets passed by Dahlen/Pettersson/Gaudette...

Not sure why everyone is so eager to get rid of these kids.  They are still young.  Growing every game.  It takes time. We have no idea how long those 3 will take to develop

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stelar said:

Not sure why everyone is so eager to get rid of these kids.  They are still young.  Growing every game.  It takes time. We have no idea how long those 3 will take to develop

One - Goldobin is not that young. 

Two - Has nothing to do with being 'in a hurry'.

He requires waivers next year. If he doesn't earn a spot on the soon to be 31st team in the NHL, do you lose him on waivers? Do you gift him a spot he hasn't earned? 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

One - Goldobin is not that young. 

Two - Has nothing to do with being 'in a hurry'.

He requires waivers next year. If he doesn't earn a spot on the soon to be 31st team in the NHL, do you lose him on waivers? Do you gift him a spot he hasn't earned? 

yes, maybe you do give him a spot through making room through trades. He's only 22. Honestly who would you rather have on the team? Gagner or goldy? Goldy or Eriksson? Sedins? With his age and offensive skill he should be on the team in a more sheltered role.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

yes, maybe you do give him a spot through making room through trades. He's only 22. Honestly who would you rather have on the team? Gagner or goldy? Goldy or Eriksson? Sedins? With his age and offensive skill he should be on the team in a more sheltered role.

The trouble with this is the Canucks currently have too many players who don’t contribute to winning. Goldobin is one of them as is Gagner. No player should be gifted a spot or have a spot saved so they don’t have to go through waivers.

sure we traded Hansen for him and losing him means we traded Hansen for nothing by a lot of CDC logic, but the reality is Hansen was a 3/4 line grinder on the downswing and Goldobin is a player that is having a hard time making the NHL.

If Goldobin can’t produce like a second liner at the very least he is going to bounce from team to team on waivers

• Upvote 1

It took Baertschi nearly 4 years and over 100 NHL games to finally figure out how to play effectively in the big leagues.

Goldobin has 52 NHL games over 3 years, and I'm not surprised in the least he hasn't put it all together yet.

Hopefully by the start of next year we see Green trusting him to play 12 mins a night and get some limited PP time. 

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

I can easily post a roster without the Sedins, Gagner or Goldobin. 

I take Eriksson (overpaid or otherwise) over Goldobin all day, every day.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1