The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

You can see the move dahlen tries on this play usually works for him.

He still manages to get by but not as clearly as I'm sure he's used too.  He will figure it out. Solid game by him leading the Comets with a goal and an assist in his 2nd AHL game.

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

Smiling Dahlen in the infographic!

This guy has amazing balance, which he achieves through changes in the angles of skates, then uses his legs to step past the defenders.  I don’t see many people doing this, even in the NHL.  He took on two defenders getting to the net - straight through the middle of the offensive zone... and stayed on his feet, still making plays on the puck - now this is a guy you want to follow to the net.  Now, can he do this in the NHL?

• Cheers 3

I noticed despite him not being an explosive skater, he seems/appears from the video to have a solid centre of gravity.  He doesn't blow by defenders, but when they try to engage him physically, it looks literally like they are pushing against a tree rooted into the ground. 

Could definitely work on those first few strides, but how he looks so strong in his legs when he plants them really reminds me how it allows Patric Hornqvist to be so effective in the corners and in front of the net.  Jonathan Dahlen seems to have a higher skill set, and adding that heaviness of his game will really bold well.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I remember watching the world juniors two years ago and being so excited to see Rasmus Dahlin play, only to annoyed because the coaching staff hardly played him. And to make matters worse this Ottawa prospect with the same sounding name (Dahlen of course) absolutely dominated and seemed to be everywhere on the ice at all times while Rasmus spent far too much time warming the bench hahaha! 

Even though I was childishly bitter with Dahlen at the time for no fault of his own, I remember thinking how exceptional his work effort was and how his game would likely translate nicely into the NHL. 

Needless to say, when we traded Burrows for him I was ecstatic. I really think this kid is one of our top prospects and will be a solid NHLer soon. 

Now if we can only land Dahlin as well, I’ll look back at that world juniors with such ironic retrospect lol. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, TGT68 said:

Not sure I would say we fleeced Ottawa yet Odd.  But Dahlen certainly looks like he will catch up and pass the only 25 points Burrows has in Ottawa so far.  

Yeh hard to say. Depends what Burrows adds to their management in the future.

50 minutes ago, Canuck Drogo said:

I remember watching the world juniors two years ago and being so excited to see Rasmus Dahlin play, only to annoyed because the coaching staff hardly played him. And to make matters worse this Ottawa prospect with the same sounding name (Dahlen of course) absolutely dominated and seemed to be everywhere on the ice at all times while Rasmus spent far too much time warming the bench hahaha! 

Even though I was childishly bitter with Dahlen at the time for no fault of his own, I remember thinking how exceptional his work effort was and how his game would likely translate nicely into the NHL. 

Needless to say, when we traded Burrows for him I was ecstatic. I really think this kid is one of our top prospects and will be a solid NHLer soon. 

Now if we can only land Dahlin as well, I’ll look back at that world juniors with such ironic retrospect lol. 

might be better not to

the surnames are too similar and likely will create some confusion

and we can't have that

and some might think we have a new set of swedish twins

and where did that get us ?

:P

Edited by coastal.view
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

might be better not to

the surnames are too similar and likely will create some confusion

and we can't have that

and some might think we have a new set of swedish twins

and where did that get us ?

:P

Pronunciation wise the names are different, but keeping the pronunciation consistent could indeed be a problem. I could see commentators consistently calling Dahlen (dah-lin) instead of what I am pretty sure the correct pronunciation is (dah-leen). We already see the typo problem with the names already with many spelling Dahlen's name as "Dahlin". Gonna be a fun 10ish years with these 2 getting mixed up as members of our humble organization :bigblush:

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Pronunciation wise the names are different, but keeping the pronunciation consistent could indeed be a problem. I could see commentators consistently calling Dahlen (dah-lin) instead of what I am pretty sure the correct pronunciation is (dah-leen). We already see the typo problem with the names already with many spelling Dahlen's name as "Dahlin". Gonna be a fun 10ish years with these 2 getting mixed up as members of our humble organization :bigblush:

Yeah, the Dahlin/Dahlén name thing will be confusing. But I suppose it’s a problem I can learn to live with. ;) 

Pettersson, Dahlen, Virtanen, Horvat, Goldobin, Juolevi, Stecher, Demko, Lind, Gadjovich, Gaudette, Brockstar, and Jasek.

The NHL wants parity? Trader Jim be like "how about deez nuts?"

Edited by Qwags

2 hours ago, Qwags said:

Pettersson, Dahlen, Virtanen, Horvat, Goldobin, Juolevi, Stecher, Demko, Lind, Gadjovich, Gaudette, and Jasek.

The NHL wants parity? Trader Kim be like "how about deez nuts?"

The presumed future is so stacked you missed a certain young man by the name of Brock  Boeser

• Haha 3