The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, it looked like he'd finally turned the corner there for a week or so and then he regressed. He's still got some time with all these injuries for the last chunk of this season but that boy needs to wake up and smell the opportunity sitting there for him on a silver platter.

or he just doesn't have the defensive awareness to play in the NHL. Its possible. Still, was worth a shot in the Hansen deal. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

or he just doesn't have the defensive awareness to play in the NHL. Its possible. Still, was worth a shot in the Hansen deal. 

But during that week'ish he was playing well at both ends of the ice. He even had that one great game where at least one solid defensive play lead directly to a (Sutter IIRC?) goal (he got an A if I recall).

I was like 'by George, I think he finally got it!' :towel:

And now it's all gone again :( 

Edited by aGENT

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

But during that week'ish he was playing well at both ends of the ice. He even had that one great game where at least one solid defensive play lead directly to a (Sutter IIRC?) goal (he got an A if I recall).

I was like 'by George, I think he finally got it!' :towel:

And now it's all gone again :( 

I'm moving on mentally. I don't think he can maintain it tbh. Like I said, worth a shot.  I don't recall what Jim turned the conditional pick that was also in the deal into, maybe that will pan out. 

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm moving on mentally. I don't think he can maintain it tbh. Like I said, worth a shot.  I don't recall what Jim turned the conditional pick that was also in the deal into, maybe that will pan out. 

This one is a little complicated because San Jose didn't win the cup, so we got their 4th which we traded to Chicago for Carolina's 5th and Chicago's 6th where we drafted Gunnarsson and Palmu. So basically it was Hansen for Goldobin, Palmu, and Gunnarsson. If I have it correct.

Edited by laxgoalie
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, laxgoalie said:

This one is a little complicated because San Jose didn't win the cup, so we got their 4th which we traded to Chicago for Carolina's 5th and Chicago's 6th where we drafted Gunnarsson and Palmu. So basically it was Hansen for Goldobin, Palmu, and Gunnarsson. If I have it correct.

thx - I tried looking it up on cap friendly but it didn't show it for some reason. 

My concern over Goldy is maybe Sutter was correct. At the time a lot of CDC thought Sutters comments were off base but maybe he was on to something :(

46 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Yeah, that was my assessment largely from the get go. VERY promising skill and offensive ability but if he didn't learn to improve away from the puck to something even 'serviceable', he was never going to make it at this level. 

He teased me a few weeks ago thinking he'd 'gotten it' but now appears to be back to his old self unfortunately. It may be an 'is what it is' situation. Perhaps he can be packaged along with some of our left D and/or forward depth this summer for other pieces.

34 minutes ago, laxgoalie said:

You do as far as I recall it ;) 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thx - I tried looking it up on cap friendly but it didn't show it for some reason. 

My concern over Goldy is maybe Sutter was correct. At the time a lot of CDC thought Sutters comments were off base but maybe he was on to something :(

No problem, I'm very bored in class. I find Wikipedia is good for breaking down the trades at the draft.

Honestly, he could be on to something. You have to work your ass off to become an NHLer, and you're going to have to take some hits. Goldobin might be coasting out there and not giving it his all every shift. Could be a product of coasting when he was younger. Hopefully, he comes to this realization and can add muscle to withstand the rough stuff in the corners. He has the talent but has to work hard. I saw a popular quote by Durant that said "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

27 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

doesn't have the balls? Perhaps. 

I was at the game last night, and I didn't particularly notice Goldobin much. He is much of a floater the way Jake was a floater earlier this season. I'm not sure if Goldobin will ever get his game together (defensive and offensively), and I feel like while Virtanen has turned the corner, Goldobin still struggles. Seems to fade in and out mentally, and that affects his game. Can't seem to focus and continue to get engaged. I'm hoping for the last 15 odd or so games, that he will respond, and give Green a reason for optimism next season, but personally, I'm not hopeful. May be time (soon) to move on. 

2 minutes ago, laxgoalie said:

No problem, I'm very bored in class. I find Wikipedia is good for breaking down the trades at the draft.

Honestly, he could be on to something. You have to work your ass off to become an NHLer, and you're going to have to take some hits. Goldobin might be coasting out there and not giving it his all every shift. Could be a product of coasting when he was younger. Hopefully, he comes to this realization and can add muscle to withstand the rough stuff in the corners. He has the talent but has to work hard. I saw a popular quote by Durant that said "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

Yeah. I dunno why, but Goldobin to me, feels like a lazy player. Am I wrong to think that? And is it just me? 

Just now, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. I dunno why, but Goldobin to me, feels like a lazy player. Am I wrong to think that? And is it just me? 

Naw, you aren't the only one haha. He's very lazy... Inconsistent from game to game, not to mention shift to shift. Hoping a miracle happens this summer and he goes to train with Gary Roberts to get his ass in shape.

Watched him last Friday live and wasn't impressed.  When he didn't have the puck which was most of the time he was on the ice, I didn't see effort.  If he was going to check someone along the boards when the puck came to them, he was gliding, not all in rushing the player.  He just didn't seem engaged, and I can't imagine how much that drives the coaching staff crazy.  

I hate giving up on a player, but not sure how much longer he's going to be in the Canucks system.  I think his contract is up this year?  

11 minutes ago, skategal said:

Watched him last Friday live and wasn't impressed.  When he didn't have the puck which was most of the time he was on the ice, I didn't see effort.  If he was going to check someone along the boards when the puck came to them, he was gliding, not all in rushing the player.  He just didn't seem engaged, and I can't imagine how much that drives the coaching staff crazy.  

I hate giving up on a player, but not sure how much longer he's going to be in the Canucks system.  I think his contract is up this year?  

one remaining saving grace with goldy is that he has igor as his agent

larianov can see clearly goldy's shortcomings and effort/focus issues

he can give goldy a clear picture of what is required of him if he truly wants to play in the nhl

and given the legend status igor has goldy likely will hear him and perhaps listen

goldy might just need a bit more time to turn the corner

if goldy prefers less obstacles he can just go back to the khl

where he will end up if he does not change his approach

either way the canucks have a decision to make about him

perhaps he gets moved on as part of some trade this offseason

Edited by coastal.view

7 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

one remaining saving grace with goldy is that he has igor as his agent

larianov can see clearly goldy's shortcomings and effort/focus issues

he can give goldy a clear picture of what is required of him if he truly wants to play in the nhl

and given the legend status igor has goldy likely will hear him and perhaps listen

goldy might just need a bit more time to turn the corner

if goldy prefers less obstacles he can just go back to the khl

where he will end up if he does not change his approach

either way the canucks have a decision to make about him

perhaps he gets moved on as part of some trade this offseason

You may be right but Goldy has a great opportunity right now to get ice time and make an impression with 7 regulars out with injury.  One has to wonder if he understands this.  Next season the competition to make the team will be that much more difficult. 

12 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Reclamation project for a reclamation project? 

He's got the next few weeks to prove he should be given a shot next fall IMO.

Otherwise I think he gets added to a larger deal as sweetener for an upgrade elsewhere.

Just now, jovocop55 said:

doubt he will come back next season.. hes showing nothing there... and if the sedins come back, will be no room with all the forwards canucks have...

Goldy is not back, regardless of the Twins.  Goldy has exciting skills, with the puck, so hopefully JB can get us some sort of draft pick for him.  I'm wondering, though, if Goldy is just a guy who is going to go home and play in Russia, because there will be no teams here that want him?  

At this point, I wouldn't be against trading him for another prospect or picks. He's not showing a desire to get better. A player of his style can't fit in on the bottom six either, so he'll either end up in the AHL or the KHL for his playing career.

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Goldy is not back, regardless of the Twins.  Goldy has exciting skills, with the puck, so hopefully JB can get us some sort of draft pick for him.  I'm wondering, though, if Goldy is just a guy who is going to go home and play in Russia, because there will be no teams here that want him?  

Goldobin has played a lot of NA hockey at this point. He has produced at the AHL level and yet struggles in the NHL. 24 next October. Other than some nice passing I don't see his game. He should get until the end of this season and then get a Calder Cup playoff games. He really has to breakout or the depth over takes him.