The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

22 hours ago, The Lock said:

I have a hard time thinking that grouping a bunch of players by country and saying we have a hard time developing that group makes sense. I think we've really just been unlucky with Russians as of late more than anything and I doubt it's to do with our own abilities.

Totally agreed.   I think the one thing Russian players have in their back pocket (perhaps not for much longer if you believe rumours) is a league that pays somewhat comparable to the NHL.   No other top league in the world can come close to KHL in luring NHL talented players away when salary is a key discriminator.    

9 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Totally agreed.   I think the one thing Russian players have in their back pocket (perhaps not for much longer if you believe rumours) is a league that pays somewhat comparable to the NHL.   No other top league in the world can come close to KHL in luring NHL talented players away when salary is a key discriminator.    

Russian top talent Rob. I cannot think of a NA talent that ever jumped to the KHL. Who wants to be labeled as a guy who wants his lamb chops butchered at center ice? 

24 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Russian top talent Rob. I cannot think of a NA talent that ever jumped to the KHL. Who wants to be labeled as a guy who wants his lamb chops butchered at center ice? 

Lol.   Agreed - that was implied.   

I think Nikolay was definitely a worthwhile gamble for Hansen. Its hard to see things working out at this point, I've been in the 'give him more opportunity' camp but this year when he's been in he has been playing with our better offensive players and overall it hasn't really worked. I don't think he's been terrible, he's definitely showed flashes and showed he has the talent to play in this league. I even think he's been better defensively/all-around this year versus last. I don't know why he's having such a hard time but things just aren't working for him right now. He needs work hard in the offseason & come back ready to prove something next year, it could be his last shot.

Edited by Smashian Kassian

On 3/12/2018 at 7:16 AM, Tre Mac said:

Sucks seeing him look so disinterested out there.  Maybe he is having trouble communicating with his teammates?  Last night was the first time I've actually seen Goldy have a conversation with another teammate that was more than 4 words and that was with the new guy Leipsic.  I hope they are doing everything they can to include him off the ice.

Archie seemed to communicate with him pretty well with the "Work work work!", to which he kindof just looked back and grinned.  Seems it still hasn't sunken in yet, but undoubtedly the professor is trying to hammer it into him.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Goldy has NHL experience and not all prospects pan out. As I see it there are plenty of spots for Goldy. He can be a top 9 winger and slide anywhere in that area. Pettersson and Gaudette are both centres so neither of them are going to know Goldy out and the only other winger prospect we have in Dahlen may not be ready just yet.  Personally this is how I see next seasons starting lineup panning out.

Goldy-Bo-Boeser

Sedins-Granlund

Virtanen-Sutter-Eriksson

Leipsic-Gaunce-Archibald

Gagner

Edler-Guddy

Juolevi-Tanev

Pouliot-Stetcher

McEneny-Biega

Marky

Demko

That means the trading of Baertschi, Hutton, Del Zotto and Nilsson. As the season goes on you may see guys like Tanev, Gagner and Granlund moved out to make room for our best performing Utica prospects. Whether thats guys like Pettersson, Dahlen, Gaudette, MacEwen, Chatfield or Brisebois.

I guess my point is we need to make room and keep our young prospects in the system until we know what we have in them.

Exactly, not all prospects turn out. That applies to Goldy as well.

Goldy's not displacing Baer so far. And as I said, he'll soon have competition from the likes of Dahlen and yes Pettersson (who IMO could easily start on W in his first year, long term C or not). Never mind the likelihood of a trade/UFA signing/drafting of a winger or Leipsic being a far harder working and more proven option. 

My entire point is that Goldy needs to crap or get off the pot. Like now. He's, very soon, at risk of being passed by other players and 'not turning out'. All the skill in the world means squat with out hard work and actual, real world results.

Demko's also not ready yet and we have zero need to rush him. He's likely starting in Utica.

I also don't personally see the twins back short of a 'Mike Fisher' scenario.

• Upvote 1

I've seen improvements from Goldobin at least on the defensive side this season.  He's still not 'there' yet, but he's progressing.  On offense, he needs other players who can complement his skill set to be most effective.  He doesn't drive offense on his own.  If he were a harder worker defensively - and he's getting closer - he could be a good fit with the Sedins.

He might not make it on the starting roster next year next year.  I'm pretty sure Pettersson will make it.  Gaudette is a possibility.  Goldobin making it will be based on how much he can show in the remainder of this season and how well he prepares for training camp next year.  As it stands he's a borderline NHLer with some potential.  I sure hope he realises that potential.

3 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

I've seen improvements from Goldobin at least on the defensive side this season.  He's still not 'there' yet, but he's progressing.  On offense, he needs other players who can complement his skill set to be most effective.  He doesn't drive offense on his own.  If he were a harder worker defensively - and he's getting closer - he could be a good fit with the Sedins.

He might not make it on the starting roster next year next year.  I'm pretty sure Pettersson will make it.  Gaudette is a possibility.  Goldobin making it will be based on how much he can show in the remainder of this season and how well he prepares for training camp next year.  As it stands he's a borderline NHLer with some potential.  I sure hope he realises that potential.

Goldy either makes our team, is traded, or is selected on waivers by another team.  I agree with you that he has looked improved.  

4 minutes ago, Borderline Canuck said:

He doesn't make good passes, he loses the puck constantly, he doesn't check, he doesn't play physical, he occasionally scores a goal.

That's a lot of hate for a young kid that has flashes of potential. I think his biggest issue is his compete level. Too often in game he seems disinterested in what going on.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

Problem being he requires waivers next year. 

2 hours ago, Borderline Canuck said:

He doesn't make good passes, he loses the puck constantly, he doesn't check, he doesn't play physical, he occasionally scores a goal.

The Loui Eriksson and Sam Gagner threads are over there

<=================================:ph34r:

Goldobin does lose the puck quite a bit, as does every other 23 and under player that's not an allstar.  I disagree about passing though, he has shown to be one of our better playmakers.  As with Virtanen I wish they would let these kids play on their off wing more.

• Upvote 1

On 2018-03-20 at 12:01 PM, Borderline Canuck said:

He made some brilliant passes in this morning’s game.   Say a few more bad things about him and he become a real star!

• Upvote 1

I said a while back (I think it was in another thread) that Goldy will likely not be back in the NHL if he doesn't fix up his game for these last 10 games or so. Tonight was a good start towards keeping his NHL job.

• Upvote 1

Played a great game last night, he and Bo looked really good.  He is showing to be one of our better playmakers and getting slightly better in the defensive zone.  He might be a better fit with Boeser and Horvat next year if he can continue to show drive at both ends. 

Didn't particularly watch him in the d-zone but did see him back-checking to break up plays, and in the o-zone he was definitely hustling after loose pucks, and making plays once he got them.  Looks like he's still in need of more strength in order to engage better physically, like Baertschi was a couple years ago.