The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack MacEwen | #71 | RW

stonecoldstevebernier

IMO BigMac has had 2 very solid outings. He had a nice shot on goal against the Caps and was solid on the boards. He doesn't lose many puck battles. His speed is decent. I think he gets to finish the road trip and that might make the dif as to whether he returns to Uitca soon. Bottom line is that injured players are returning and there has to be room made. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

IMO BigMac has had 2 very solid outings. He had a nice shot on goal against the Caps and was solid on the boards. He doesn't lose many puck battles. His speed is decent. I think he gets to finish the road trip and that might make the dif as to whether he returns to Uitca soon. Bottom line is that injured players are returning and there has to be room made. 

I know Id rather see him in the lineup then Eriksson. Put the Big Mac on the PK and see how he does.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

I know Id rather see him in the lineup then Eriksson. Put the Big Mac on the PK and see how he does.

Erikkson nearly cost us a penalty last game...simply by doodling at bench door...he actually stopped and turned around to look at the play...as his replacement was just about to get into it...before sauntering off the ice.

I was sure the refs were going to call that...they had been calling things in the Cap's favour all game...

Erikkson needs to retire, he has zero drive left... 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Erikkson nearly cost us a penalty last game...simply by doodling at bench door...he actually stopped and turned around to look at the play...as his replacement was just about to get into it...before sauntering off the ice.

I was sure the refs were going to call that...they had been calling things in the Cap's favour all game...

Erikkson needs to retire, he has zero drive left... 

He adds no value, but as a penalty killer. Id rather give auditions on the PK to guys like Horvat, Gaudette and MacEwen. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

At what point does ones pride comes into it?  If I was in LE's shoes, I would want to leave on an up note.  That is no longer an option as I don't think he has "IT" in him any more and I don't think it is coming back.  Send him down and give him the ability to retire without actually playing a game in the AHL.  Maybe he will take the bait and retire instead of riding the bus for the rest of the season.  \we will have to see. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

That is Darren Archibald from several seasons back not Mac

Haha that's a coincidence, because I've been comparing MacEwen to Archibald in that both are physically dominant players in the AHL, who show too little of their physicality in the NHL.  That's what has kept Archibald from becoming an NHLer and I'm just hoping it doesn't become the same storyfor MacEwen.

Edited by Captain Canuck #12
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Haha that's a coincidence, because I've been comparing MacEwen to Archibald in that both are physically dominant players in the AHL, who show too little of their physicality in the NHL.  That's what has kept Archibald from becoming an NHLer and I'm just hoping doesn't become true for MacEwen as well.

Its nice to have the repertoire to be able to be a physical player and be a dominant force by using pure aggression, but as we have seen it, that style of game is just not sustainable long term for a profitable NHL career.  You can try and play that kind of game, but you are basically left with nothing by the time they hit their late 20's to age 30.  Lucic, Simmonds, Hornqvist, Perry, and starting to see shades in that of Ferland, who has said that his physical games was just too much to sustain going forward.  He has to pick his spots now. 

I don't mind that MacEwen is trying to show that he can be relied on as a hockey player beyond his brawn and pure physical capabilities.  He does actually have the skill and smarts to play a very good game, matter of fact, he has shown he has some capable puck skills.   But because of the size the expectation is that he will be drilling guys left and right.  We are seeing less of those guys and more players with a desire to find a different element of skill because that style just does havoc on the body long term in life let alone late into an NHL career.

Just wait guys like Tom Wilson right now looks good, but in a few years, he will drop off a cliff because that same style that got him notary won't be sustainable for him throughout his whole career.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I expect him to replace Schaller next year as 13th forward. He'll get more games then. Don't see us re-signing Schaller. I could see us moving a forward or two out(Sutter/Baer) for cap reasons as well.

Right now we are jammed packed at FWD. Like who do we sit when Ferland comes back? 

6 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I expect him to replace Schaller next year as 13th forward. He'll get more games then. Don't see us re-signing Schaller. I could see us moving a forward or two out(Sutter/Baer) for cap reasons as well.

Right now we are jammed packed at FWD. Like who do we sit when Ferland comes back? 

It is an easy  answer for me, LE. Sure he has put up some points since the bizarre promotion to the top 6. But when push comes to shove down the stretch LE is not the kind of forward I think is needed on our roster...especially when the whistles go away and playoff hockey is happening

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...