The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign F Drew Shore [1 year x 600k]

Visp

C/RW Drew Shore plays a safe and steady game, no huge highs or lows.

He's a real decent AHLer, who just hasn't captured a regular role in the NHL yet.

I think he still has a shot at becoming a consistent bottom six forward, but at 26 years old, his time is running short.

16 hours ago, Jaku said:

This is kind of odd. I don't know why he would want to join the team for a such a very short period of time. Has Benning been talking to him about a possible contract for next year? Just wants to play hockey? 

There's that thing called a pay cheque too, and possible audition for job next year, even if it's not with us. Kid obviously wants another go in the NHL and looks like he's at least earned a look. No real downside in my opinion.

15 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I'm thinking he gets the rest of the season so the team can shut down Sutter. He's been playing injured, and it's not helping anyone.

This should also send the message to other fringe NHLers, be it in European leages or pending College FAs that the Canucks are looking for help. Maybe help lure Ashton-Reese and others over. 

Great post +1 out of +

this is good marketing news around the world .

almost makes me think of that movie? " The fish that saved Pittsburgh"

think it was called a basketball movie up assembling rejects or unknown players An saving that franchise .

Free tryouts be it short an sweet!

IMG_9685.JPG

4 hours ago, Mattrek said:

I am absolutely loving what I'm seeing from Boucher. His hockey IQ is fantastic, I always see him in the right place at the right time. If he gets with Horvat's skating coach and adds some more muscle over the summer watch out next season. I think he could easily become a 2nd liner for us with his skill set. He knows how to set up a beautiful play and he knows how to shoot. He is the steal of the year for the Canucks IMO. Fantastic pick up by Benning.

I felt same way on Day Jim picked him up. An still see a prospect with huge upside (top 6 ) . Whom Jim basically got for free he is a very astute player with all tools an will improve skating An strength.

I am absolutely loving what I'm seeing from Boucher. His hockey IQ is fantastic, I always see him in the right place at the right time. If he gets with Horvat's skating coach and adds some more muscle over the summer watch out next season. I think he could easily become a 2nd liner for us with his skill set. He knows how to set up a beautiful play and he knows how to shoot. He is the steal of the year for the Canucks IMO. Fantastic pick up by Benning.

Yup, I agree with that, pending of course whoever this mystery NCAA D man is we supposedly got today....

Under a new coach I do think Loui-Bo-Boucher could be a very exciting line with little defensive downside 

Rather see prospects auditioning than "age gap"  players.  Megna chapoo Larsen ect... play the kids.

losing with plugs is harder to watch than losing with prospects/kids. 

I see this a another megna for willie to over play and push skilled guys further down the line up to "earn it" 

4 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

Yah, I could be getting over excited on that front :lol: just fun to see some new prospects roll through. If Dorsett is health next season Crammer is redundant.

Or... Cramarossa makes Dorsett redundant?  Still a possibility LV looks at him if he qualifies, and Crammer would be a younger cheaper replacement.  Made a pretty nice move last night for one of our best scoring chances, too.

Regarding his skating, I haven't seen any issues -- he looks like he keeps up with the play just fine, and seems to be working hard out there.

9 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Or... Cramarossa makes Dorsett redundant?  Still a possibility LV looks at him if he qualifies, and Crammer would be a younger cheaper replacement.  Made a pretty nice move last night for one of our best scoring chances, too.

Regarding his skating, I haven't seen any issues -- he looks like he keeps up with the play just fine, and seems to be working hard out there.

I would keep Cramarossa over Dorsett if that is the choice. Good luck trading Dorsett with that brutal cap hit though.

16 hours ago, Derp... said:

I agree this is most likely a Sutter Replacement scenario. The guy probably needs to stop playing this year, so they can give Shore an audition for next season. Hopefully it works out.

why would we get rid of Sutter he is a great Center who wins faceoffs and scores

maybe it will be for a trade or he will be a 4th liner for us at best

19 hours ago, Jaku said:

This is kind of odd. I don't know why he would want to join the team for a such a very short period of time. Has Benning been talking to him about a possible contract for next year? Just wants to play hockey? 

yea its really bizarre a 26 year old bust would want to leave Switzerland to try to prove himself in the NHL on a 20 game stint

Vancouver has inside information on Calgary prospects ( name escapes me right now but used to work in flames staff now works here) and have used that info to get Baerschi and Granlund. This could be another former Flame prospect Vancouver has salvaged from their system.

20 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

this is kind of an odd signing. 26 years old, 24 points in 80 NHL games played. 

interesting signing....? 

Roughly the same pace Granny had scored before breaking out this season (31/102 = ~0.3), and look how many of us wrote him off.
Hoping for another success story!

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Sure that is a possibility. I still think Sbisa would be the one picked if available, but if he's moved before the expansion draft then honestly it could be Gaunce or Dorsett... they will need a guy like that to keep players honest and help their kids develop. 

23 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Sure that is a possibility. I still think Sbisa would be the one picked if available, but if he's moved before the expansion draft then honestly it could be Gaunce or Dorsett... they will need a guy like that to keep players honest and help their kids develop. 

Exactly -- same reason and role when the Canucks brought him in three years ago to start the rebuild.  Protect the kids AND show them how to play the game right.

Interesting signing, basically a younger Skille. Forward depth has been crippled and Utica needs to keep their guys for the playoff push. Grenier will be far more useful in Utica as it just doesn't seem like he will cut it in the NHL. Good time for a "preseason" look against competition that doesn't have the excuse of still shaking the rust off.

Archived