The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign F Drew Shore [1 year x 600k]

Visp

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I thought you could sign players after the trade deadline but they couldn't play for you, or is that the playoffs only?

Yep hes exempt for the playoffs but can play during the regular season.

Maybe we have something here. Decent points totals for only 80nhl games played. Scouting reports said he needed to be better defensively and play tougher. Maybe we have a new 3rd line centre and we can trade Sutter! Wouldn't that be nice

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I'm pretty happy with this. Drew is serviceable from what I remember RHC to slide in for Sutter who needs to be shut down. Good job JB! 

Shore is a two-way forward with above-average hockey sense and burgeoning offensive skills. He is a solid skater with good mobility and a quick change of direction, especially at his size. He is a gritty, competitive player who can be a determined forechecker as well as a tenacious defender and he is solid in the faceoff circle. Although he will not dazzle anyone with an array of exceptional skills, he has a well-rounded game and has shown a deft touch at the front of the net and a good, accurate shot away from it.
Read more at http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/drew_shore/#2Bueu2TQgVhQ7vmI.99

Basically sounds like a Sutter clone. 

Nothing wrong with that. 

10 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Should shore-up the roster(I'll get my coat)...

go pick up him at the airport for us will you! I've always wanted drew shore on our team.  this has me very excited.  

is he expansion draft eligible if we sign him in the next 2 weeks?  he's a pretty big center with some good physicality and grit.   

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I'm pretty happy with this. Drew is serviceable from what I remember RHC to slide in for Sutter who needs to be shut down. Good job JB! 

Shore is a two-way forward with above-average hockey sense and burgeoning offensive skills. He is a solid skater with good mobility and a quick change of direction, especially at his size. He is a gritty, competitive player who can be a determined forechecker as well as a tenacious defender and he is solid in the faceoff circle. Although he will not dazzle anyone with an array of exceptional skills, he has a well-rounded game and has shown a deft touch at the front of the net and a good, accurate shot away from it.
Read more at http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/drew_shore/#2Bueu2TQgVhQ7vmI.99

Basically sounds like a Sutter clone. 

he reminds me a bit of Matt Stajan eariler in his career. probably not the best comparison far less proven but similar player imo. 

10 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"Big guy, he really stepped up his offensive game in the Swiss League. We believe he can come in and help us." - Desjardins

Hopefully he can learn the systems quickly.

2 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Sure - and start every shift deep in our own zone cos we can't win a faceoff

let Manny show him how its done. Let me also say that I don't think Sutter will be traded because he is a decent player but this is a rebuilding team and I wouldn't be surprised if Sutters traded in a couple years, when Gaudette or another centre is ready to step in. Sutter being traded also would depend on what happens with the Sedins. If the Sedins want to go somewhere to compete then we can't trade Sutter. But if the Sedins stay and sign another 2 years or so, Sutter will be traded to make room for others.

I like this signing... and it likely means a couple of things are happening/about to happen.

Jack Skille is likely done for the season.

Brandon Sutter may be shut down for the rest of the season too (his injury is VERY apparent)

It's a tryout for Drew Shore to see if he's worth a contract in the summer and be a Megna/Chaput/Skille replacement

This is how badly the Canucks are looking for offense.

I like it. Canucks aren't making the playoffs so it doesn't matter that Drew Shore isn't eligible for them, smart signing.

Still think Curtis Valk deserves a contract if the Canucks are this desperate to bring in help for the big club. Guy has been a "fringe Canucks prospect" for years and is now a first line AHLer. I know he's small but he's got offensive skill. Still dunno why the Canucks are hesitant to give Valk an entry deal.

12 hours ago, Jaku said:

This is kind of odd. I don't know why he would want to join the team for a such a very short period of time. Has Benning been talking to him about a possible contract for next year? Just wants to play hockey? 

If I had a chance to play in the NHL, I'd drop everything and go for it. Doesn't matter if it's for a game or two.

Seems like a good pickup, given the injuries and where this team is at. Gives us some depth without having to raid Utica any further. And I'm assuming (at age 26 and five NHL seasons) he reverts back to RFA status after this contract, so should be fairly easy to retain him if he actually performs well (not that signing UFAs of his calibre is all that difficult). 

Jim isn't exactly scraping the bottom of the barrel lately with these freebies. Boucher, Crammer, now Shore. Chaput, Shore and Crammer could be legit bottom 4 potentially for next season, with no assets spent or development time. Boucher could be top 9, if he keeps working hard. 

Archived