The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign F Drew Shore [1 year x 600k]

Visp

I love that Benning keeps things moving.  In the span of 3 weeks we have added Dahlen, Goldobin, MacEwan, Shore, and pick with potential to be a 1st.  I think we will see him sign a couple of top NCAA free agents in the coming days and the replenishment of our team just keeps moving along.  Shore will be better than Megna, Skille, and maybe Chaput. 

People pick on Benning because of Virtanen, Vey, Shinkaruk, McCann and others.  I think that for dealing with the empty cupboard he has had, he has managed to fill up the prospect pool much quicker than could have been expected and there is still more to come in college FA and the draft.  I think when dealing with young players, there is not guarantee, but I like that he keeps working in new ones to see what works. 

2 hours ago, Rush17 said:

go pick up him at the airport for us will you! I've always wanted drew shore on our team.  this has me very excited.  

is he expansion draft eligible if we sign him in the next 2 weeks?  he's a pretty big center with some good physicality and grit.   

Sure skeptical he would be. Would be a rather deft way to protect our current cast, otherwise.

Good ? tho..anyone know the ruling that applies here?

35 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Jim isn't exactly scraping the bottom of the barrel lately with these freebies. Boucher, Crammer, now Shore. Chaput, Shore and Crammer could be legit bottom 4 potentially for next season, with no assets spent or development time. Boucher could be top 9, if he keeps working hard. 

Chaput plays most shifts in the offensive zone.  He is a total keeper.  He wins faceoffs too.  Boucher, I see high slot play making, still a longshot to make the team long term.  Shore is just a depth gamble with intrigue.  Crammer seems a dime a dozen.  Not big enough to really dominate, not skilled enough to be a threat.

Head Scout Jim Benning is doing an awesome job giving a large pool of young guys to step up and show themselves.

This is exciting hockey to watch as a fan, because new players, new tools, and new possibilities emerge from nowhere.

7 minutes ago, xereau said:

Chaput plays most shifts in the offensive zone.  He is a total keeper.  He wins faceoffs too.  Boucher, I see high slot play making, still a longshot to make the team long term.  Shore is just a depth gamble with intrigue.  Crammer seems a dime a dozen.  Not big enough to really dominate, not skilled enough to be a threat.

Head Scout Jim Benning is doing an awesome job giving a large pool of young guys to step up and show themselves.

This is exciting hockey to watch as a fan, because new players, new tools, and new possibilities emerge from nowhere.

Yah, I could be getting over excited on that front :lol: just fun to see some new prospects roll through. If Dorsett is health next season Crammer is redundant. 

On Boucher tho, he doesn't seem to be a defensive liability so I've got more hope there. 

45 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Jim isn't exactly scraping the bottom of the barrel lately with these freebies. Boucher, Crammer, now Shore. Chaput, Shore and Crammer could be legit bottom 4 potentially for next season, with no assets spent or development time. Boucher could be top 9, if he keeps working hard. 

I am absolutely loving what I'm seeing from Boucher. His hockey IQ is fantastic, I always see him in the right place at the right time. If he gets with Horvat's skating coach and adds some more muscle over the summer watch out next season. I think he could easily become a 2nd liner for us with his skill set. He knows how to set up a beautiful play and he knows how to shoot. He is the steal of the year for the Canucks IMO. Fantastic pick up by Benning.

Could this be part of player shuffling that will help Utica push for the playoffs?

Demko with another goose egg as I type this...hes on fire, and Utica is pushing. Hopefully Canucks dont have to raid the AHL cupboard now that they have momentum.

12 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I'm thinking he gets the rest of the season so the team can shut down Sutter. He's been playing injured, and it's not helping anyone.

This should also send the message to other fringe NHLers, be it in European leages or pending College FAs that the Canucks are looking for help. Maybe help lure Ashton-Reese and others over. 

This was my initial thought as well. We really need some healthy players even if Sutter is okay. Utica is hurting pretty badly with all of their guys here all the time. Thet are in the hunt as well still.

There is a chance the Sedins move on next season for a chance at a cup. I see this move as adding depth before removing key pieces. Sutter and Horvat will have to take the first and second line centre duties. Chaput looks promising and might be able to play 3rd line duties. Granlund and Gaunce are better on wings. Shore is a safe option for a cheap guy who has played at this level before and is starting to pick his game up. Reminds me of when he traded for Larson. A depth player that might pan out and might not but is cheap and adds options for the coach. We need guys like this as we wait for our younger prospects like Dahlen and MacEwan develop

Hope WD let's him play (adequate ice time) so everybody gets a decent look at him. Interesting to see what the reaction from above would be if WD benched him after his first mistake or goal. (whichever comes first)

Just saying given the recent Goldobin events.

Think the time is long overdue to just let everybody "play" and see what they have rather than to coach them into submission under a guy or a system that won't likely be here next season.

:)

Shore, Macewan, another NCAA defenceman, maybe Aston-Reese. Surely one of these guys will stick as decent NHL material and this is their training camp for next season. Smart Benning, gives us a guy we don't have to protect either.

Give them a decent shot now, if they're good enough we'll know in about 10 games. Otherwise gives us some Utica fodder for next year. Benning knows we need depth help and he's getting it but trying to hit a home run in the same swing.

2 hours ago, Mattrek said:

I am absolutely loving what I'm seeing from Boucher. His hockey IQ is fantastic, I always see him in the right place at the right time. If he gets with Horvat's skating coach and adds some more muscle over the summer watch out next season. I think he could easily become a 2nd liner for us with his skill set. He knows how to set up a beautiful play and he knows how to shoot. He is the steal of the year for the Canucks IMO. Fantastic pick up by Benning.

I agree, Boucher can be a weapon and is showing his smarts. Goes to the net, really good shot. Hoping we see Boucher - Horvat - Goldobin

Archived