The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How many think Brock Boeser looks NHL ready?

*Buzzsaw*

Keep Brock Boeser up for the rest of the Season?  

366 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

He is mentally prepared / you don't "take the shot" in OT unless you think you belong.  His skating is a tad choppy and he looks a bit smaller than his size sometimes but an uncle of mine said that he reminds him of a former LA King Robataille who everyone doubted his ability coz he could not skate like the wind so instead he just went out and scored goals all the way to HOF.   That is clearly a reach but I have been around game a bit and something about this player's knack to score seems hard wired and tough to ignore.   I guess I am saying I would rather have a choppy skater I don't notice much until I look at the scoresheet each night than a flashy elite fast skating guy who gets 8 goals a year and always "shows promise".

15 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He is mentally prepared / you don't "take the shot" in OT unless you think you belong.  His skating is a tad choppy and he looks a bit smaller than his size sometimes but an uncle of mine said that he reminds him of a former LA King Robataille who everyone doubted his ability coz he could not skate like the wind so instead he just went out and scored goals all the way to HOF.   That is clearly a reach but I have been around game a bit and something about this player's knack to score seems hard wired and tough to ignore.   I guess I am saying I would rather have a choppy skater I don't notice much until I look at the scoresheet each night than a flashy elite fast skating guy who gets 8 goals a year and always "shows promise".

So like, lucky Luke over Mason Raymond right?

20 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Never saw Robitaille play (was it Luke or Luc?) but that is the sort of idea.

Yes my bad it was Luc.

and your analogy is accurate.  Luc was a fun player to watch.  Had a similar kid in my team growing up.  Looked like he was running on skates but crazy slick with the puck and always seemed to get away from checks.  You wanted to be on his line because all the goals were pretty.  

Absolutely ready. And could compete for rookie of the year. Only thing he could gain from Utica is they win more games down there. Lol. P.s. Rodin was aweful. Jolievi average and subban thinks he's a forward and would probably be better at one. Helm not bad. Brock needs to play with the big boys. Why waste the time. He's dominant. 

if vancouver legitimately wants to compete this year, and boeser keeps putting points on the board, they can't afford NOT to put him in the lineup, even if some rough edges to his game could use some rounding off. 

he's so good with and without the puck in the offensive zone, making smart, safe, but creative plays and finding soft spots. and his shot is gamebreaking. likely one of the top 10 shots in the league. he can pick a hole at will, or just fire it blind (like last night) and it's so heavy that unless the goalie gets all of it, it's going to find its way in. 

11 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

So far Boeser is 11GP - 7G - 3A at the NHL level. Albeit it was late last season, and now into preseason, but it's pretty clear he now needs meaningful NHL games. Stifling his momentum would be a mistake.

We've needed goals since 2012. Ready is staring us in the face!

Yeah, I don't think you can completely assume his current stats would translate 100% if he was on the team full-time, but I do think the sample size is growing to the level that his production isn't likely to be an anomaly.  I agree that there is likely little point having him in Utica - especially considering we already burned a year off his EL contract so to burn another in Utica is really just a waste.

It would also be a waste to see him on a lower line.  I say he sticks with the team, and sticks on the top 2 lines for at least a dozen games to develop chemistry with his linemates and see how he does against higher level defenders.

I am a little mixed. I still think Boeser needs a year in the AHL... Its a big change (specially the amount of games) between college and the NHL. I like the kid and think he is doing well but its hard to say how well as I think he is really standing out right now because our other prospects are just playing atrociously. Although I like some of the effort that Virt has shown so far I think he is still destined for the AHL. The Rodin experiment needs to end. Nothing against the guy but I just dont think its in the cards with Vancouver. As for the rest, no one has really proven they deserve a shot whatsoever. 

SO ready and I feel like we have to build off this momentum with him.  To treat him as "not ready" will possibly translate to he didn't do enough and can really mess up his mental game and have him overthink it all.  I feel he's proven that he's ready and to deny that just sends all the wrong messages.

Stoked to see where this goes...he looks so natural out there.

I think some additional seasoning in the AHL wouldn't hurt, but I'd say he is ready for the NHL. What I liked from him the most from the handful of games last season, was that he gave me an impression that he is one of those guys that can learn on the job, like Bo. Some guys are thrusted to the job and can't handle it, and absolutely must be sent to the AHL. A player like Brock and Bo, you thrust them to the job, they find a way to swim.

10 hours ago, nitti999 said:

Absolutely ready. And could compete for rookie of the year. Only thing he could gain from Utica is they win more games down there. Lol. P.s. Rodin was aweful. Jolievi average and subban thinks he's a forward and would probably be better at one. Helm not bad. Brock needs to play with the big boys. Why waste the time. He's dominant. 

Want to see him in the "A" for one season to show he can play with consistency over the course of a long season. No harm in doing so. Even if we made the playoffs, I don't see us winning a series. All that does is take us out of contention for a high draft pick. With all the veteran signings, I can see this being the plan, all the way. Brock is a wise kid, beyond his years and would understand managements strategy and, more than likely,would agree.

I'm in full support of the rebuild strategy and would look at it as another blunder to rush youth too early. Jumping from a 42 game University season to a 82 game NHL season against bigger, tougher, more experienced veterans in the NHL, is a lot to ask of him. He's doing well right now against younger, less experienced players but, I don't like the idea of throwing him into the fray without having, at least, seen him play pro at lower levels first. It's the responsible thing to do.

1 hour ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

I am a little mixed. I still think Boeser needs a year in the AHL... Its a big change (specially the amount of games) between college and the NHL. I like the kid and think he is doing well but its hard to say how well as I think he is really standing out right now because our other prospects are just playing atrociously. Although I like some of the effort that Virt has shown so far I think he is still destined for the AHL. The Rodin experiment needs to end. Nothing against the guy but I just dont think its in the cards with Vancouver. As for the rest, no one has really proven they deserve a shot whatsoever. 

I can agree to a certain point .But they're are players that came out of college that adapted  to the Nhl without going to the Minors. One of the advantages that Boeser has is that he was playing against 21-23 year old players the last two years. Which in some ways makes him more prepared than a player coming out of Major Jr. who has been playing against 16-20 year olds. 

22 minutes ago, canacks1970 said:

I can agree to a certain point .But they're are players that came out of college that adapted  to the Nhl without going to the Minors. One of the advantages that Boeser has is that he was playing against 21-23 year old players the last two years. Which in some ways makes him more prepared than a player coming out of Major Jr. who has been playing against 16-20 year olds. 

As true as that is, the majority of those 21-23 year olds will never step on NHL ice.

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

I agree that there is likely little point having him in Utica - especially considering we already burned a year off his EL contract so to burn another in Utica is really just a waste.

Did he?  I thought he could play up to 10 games without burning a year.

I consider myself a very optimistic and positive fan. If Brock is cut I will be very displeased with this management, who I have supported since day 1.

Brock was ready yesterday! 110% he should be there on opening night imo. 

With the rebuild in full swing and icing a younger team mantra. Brock should be a lock!

Archived