The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How many think Brock Boeser looks NHL ready?

*Buzzsaw*

Keep Brock Boeser up for the rest of the Season?  

366 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

as exciting as the young stars games can be, they really aren't a great indicator of a prospects NHL 'readiness'.  They are more for the fringe guys to have an opportunity to get that invite to the main camp.  Obviously guys like Brock, OJ are going to be at the main camp, and they know it.  I'm more excited to see Brock in the actual Canucks camp than anything.  That's where he needs to shine.

On 3/27/2017 at 11:44 AM, William_Clarkson said:

Based off two games, yeah. But I remember a couple years ago Nicklas Jensen had like 5 really solid games where he looked "NHL ready." You can't really determine anything at this point.

Brock also played two years in college from a winning program in North Dakota. Playing with young men between the age of 18-23 years of age compare to playing Major Jr   . Which also helped his development playing against players older then him.  

2 hours ago, canacks1970 said:

Brock also played two years in college from a winning program in North Dakota. Playing with young men between the age of 18-23 years of age compare to playing Major Jr   . Which also helped his development playing against players older then him.  

One legitimate concern would be that 82 NHL games > 35 university games. That, and how will he do in his own zone. Tell you one thing, I'm excited to find out. 

18 hours ago, Great Granny said:

"Boeser should start the season in Utica. Let him work his way up from the fourth line on the farm. Nothing should be handed to anyone on this team, regardless of their skill set." - Joe Moron

Woah.... slow down there... lets not just gift him a spot in the AHL.  Let him work his way up from the ECHL a la Alex Burrows!

On 3/27/2017 at 1:13 AM, Salacious Crumb said:

He's as good a prospect as we've had since the twins. Huge broner for this kid...he has the 'it' factor for sure.

Edler.  Don't let his play now fool you.  Guy had a phenomenal developmental curve (I think he dominated at ever level since we "stole" him from the Red Wings - think Gradin was sifting thru the Red Wing scouts garbage cans for info LOL).

8 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

He looked like one of their best players during his brief stay at the end of last season. He certainly was a lung their most productive. 

Playing with Horvat or Sedin is where he belongs, not in the A. 

I don't agree with you on a lot of topics, but I agree 100% with you on this one.  The jump from the NCAA to the NHL isn't huge and he dominated the NCAA.  Add to that the fact that he looked right at home for the 9 games after the NCAA season and I think it's pretty much a no brainer.  That said, he needs to show well in camp and preseason to nail down a spot.  The kid is a strong Calder candidate and I think the best way to find out if he can manage an 82 game season is to have him play it in the NHL.  If he can't manage it, we have a lot of depth to call up.

On 9/1/2017 at 2:43 AM, alfstonker said:

Imo it will all come down to his speed.

If he has indeed got faster with more explosive speed off the mark, I think he will be given a chance to make a claim to a place and then possibly "rested" down to Utica for spells to keep him fresh. Each time he comes back up hopefully stronger and stays longer.

If he hasn't improved his speed I don't see him featuring for a few months, as he will be far better working on it down in Utica.

My thoughts exactly. Speed/explosiveness was his biggest issue, hopefully he worked on it this summer. 

1 hour ago, RogersTowell said:

I don't agree with you on a lot of topics, but I agree 100% with you on this one.  The jump from the NCAA to the NHL isn't huge and he dominated the NCAA.  Add to that the fact that he looked right at home for the 9 games after the NCAA season and I think it's pretty much a no brainer.  That said, he needs to show well in camp and preseason to nail down a spot.  The kid is a strong Calder candidate and I think the best way to find out if he can manage an 82 game season is to have him play it in the NHL.  If he can't manage it, we have a lot of depth to call up.

Likewise. Thanks. 

9 hours ago, RogersTowell said:

It's pretty big in games played. About double.

3 hours ago, Baggins said:

It's pretty big in games played. About double.

Add in the 9 games he played in the NHL at the end of the season, da Beauty League and the prospects games and you have a pretty full season.  Making the jump from NCAA to the NHL isn't that big of a deal - look at Stecher and all of the other guys in the NHL that did the same jump last year.  The NCAA is an 18 and up league as opposed to the OHL which is almost entirely 19 and under.  It's not so much the number of games as it is being physically ready for the opposition.  I don't know if you play any sports, but the number of games you play per week is more important than the number of games you play in a season.

2 hours ago, RogersTowell said:

Add in the 9 games he played in the NHL at the end of the season, da Beauty League and the prospects games and you have a pretty full season.  Making the jump from NCAA to the NHL isn't that big of a deal - look at Stecher and all of the other guys in the NHL that did the same jump last year.  The NCAA is an 18 and up league as opposed to the OHL which is almost entirely 19 and under.  It's not so much the number of games as it is being physically ready for the opposition.  I don't know if you play any sports, but the number of games you play per week is more important than the number of games you play in a season.

Different strokes as they say. Some make the jump just fine, others peter out as the season goes on.

2 hours ago, RogersTowell said:

Stecher started to gas out  in the 2nd half of the season..it is a big jump from any minor league to the NHL grind, Hutton was the same in his rookie season as well. Baggins is right just because one kid can make the jump doesn't mean everyone else can.

I think Green seems to be a pretty brutal but fair coach, so Boeser will start where he deserves to be. If he can outplay all the current veterans and guys in their prime then he'll be bloody good and worth a roster spot. If not, no problem, he probably starts in Utica's top-6 and will be our first or second injury call up.

Personally, I know he looks good but consistency will be key for Boeser and quite frankly I don't think he's there yet, he could use a year in Utica. He would have made last year's roster but JB has done a fantastic job of bringing in competition for the young guys.

In terms of wingers, I don't see him better than Daniel Sedin (almost), Baertschi, Granlund, Vanek or Gagner. He's competing against Eriksson, Burmistrov, Boucher, Rodin, Goldobin and Upshall. 

Archived